Are RSP-1066 & RMB-1075's power cords 15 amps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wng
    • Dec 2002

Are RSP-1066 & RMB-1075's power cords 15 amps?

Hi all,

I just ordered the high-current, 15-amp version of the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet power conditioner. I'm quite sure the power cords supplied with the Rotel pre/pro and the amp (and my Arcam CD player, if anyone knows) are 15-amp cords, but I just want some confirmation. Thanks.
  • TonyPTX
    • Apr 2003

I don't think you're going to get any bites on this thread. I'm not an expert in these matters, however I recently purchased a MagicPower Power Cord from SignalCable that was rated for 15AMPs and it puts the Rotel cord to shame. Not saying that the Rotel cord isnt' capable of 15AMPs, that's just a matter of determining the AWG used in the cord and calculating it from there. Plus, I'm not sure if the connectors on the Rotel cord are rated for 15A.

"Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."
    "Those that don't know, don't know they don't know."

Comment

• Ron Reda
      • Jan 2003

TonyPTX or whomever,

How much did this cord cost? I was looking into replacing the standard 1066 power cord, but don't know where to start. Has anybody else checked into this?

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

If by "15 amp" cords do you mean, "are the Rotel cords 14 ga wire?" I believe that they are 18 ga. at best.

One of these days I'm planning on ordering some Marinco/Wattgate plugs from Parts Express and build my own 14 ga cables for my pre/pro, amp and sub. I dont really plan on using anything fancier than SWOOJ or THHN 14ga cable.

Gregg
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• george king
          • Dec 2000

Ouch, what a topic. How much do you want to spend on a power cord? I replaced the cord on my RMB 1075 with the Sunrise from sonic horizon (here is the link http://www.sonichorizon.com/). Reasonably priced, very well made, and it did make something of a difference. Not night and day, but a difference none the less.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

They(Signalcable) start at $49 plus shipping. I've heard good things about their power cords also and we all know that Rotels don't ship with the best connecting power cords. It is the question of whether they make an audio improvement to your system that people debate. I've seen some that claim they could hear an improvement, while others argue that it is a lot of hocus-pocus. Me, I'm not sure, although I would entertain thoughts of buying an aftermarket power cord if it would keep me from constantly worrying that the cord would slip from it's connection every time I shifted my 1066 around.

I wonder if this is still a problem with the new 1098's.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• luszer
              • Feb 2003

tonyPTX

I am interested in the SignalCable MagicPower you speak of, did you use it on your 1066 and/or for your Rotel amps.
              The reason I ask is I noticed on my 1066 the female end only accepts a 2 prong male end plugged into it. Doesn't the MagicPower come with a 3 prong Marinco end. Also my RB 991 accepts a 3 prong male end however my 1075 accepts only a 2 prong piece.
              Any help on compatibility will help greatlly

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Keith,

I compared both power cords, when I traded the 1066 for the 1098, they both appeared the same when comparing them physically.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Ron Reda
                  • Jan 2003

luszer,

When looking at Magic Power's site, I do notice that the cable's connector accepts a three-prong male end, but the 1066 only has a two-prong male on end on the back. So...

I think I may go with VH Audio's Flavor 3 Power Cord instead:

http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

"The VH Audio Flavor 3 power cord is designed for digital components that do NOT require a safety ground. Unplug your current cord from the back of your digital component and see if there are 2 or 3 male IEC prongs on the component. If there are 2 prongs, then this is the cord for you! "

I do have a dumb question for everyone though (be nice to me, please)...this IS a digital component, right??? ops:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I actually bought some cable and plugs at home depot today to make up some power cords myself. I still have to find some nice IEC plugs but all in all two cords shouldn't cost more the $40 cdn if that.

Comment

• greggz
                      • Jun 2002

Found this power cord today....

Its a 2m 14 ga power cord made with Belden shielded cable for only $5.65 8O Its rated for 1875W which is plenty of capacity for either the RB-1090 or RMB-1095 (which are listed as 1200W according to Rotel's website)

I'm buying several and going to try them out stock. Then I might consider cutting the ends off and replacing them with Marinco/Wattgate connectors to make "audiophile" power cords.

Gregg
                      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• luszer
                        • Feb 2003

Ron Reda
                        I actually spoke to someone at Signal, actual even with the female end accepting a 3 prong, if there are NOT 3 prongs it should have enough clearance to accept the 2 prongs and stll fit secure and snug.
                        From the looks of it the Flavor 3 is the same situation as the Signal cable.
                        Its kinda wierd how one Rotel amp Rb991 has a 3 prong and another Rotel amp 1075 has a prong end.

Greggz

Those are cheap cords definitely worth a shot, please keep us posted as I am trying to decide on new power cords for my Rotel gear.

Comment

• luszer
                          • Feb 2003

Ron Reda
                          I actually spoke to someone at Signal, actual even with the female end accepting a 3 prong, if there are NOT 3 prongs it should have enough clearance to accept the 2 prongs and stll fit secure and snug.
                          From the looks of it the Flavor 3 is the same situation as the Signal cable.
                          Its kinda wierd how one Rotel amp Rb991 has a 3 prong and another Rotel amp 1075 has a prong end.

Greggz

Those are cheap cords definitely worth a shot, please keep us posted as I am trying to decide on new power cords for my Rotel gear.

Comment

• will1066
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by luszer
                            Greggz

Me too. Please come back with your feedback.

Ron: I guess the rule to go by is: If it has a DAC, then it's a digital component.

Comment

• Claude D D
                              • Jan 2003

Andrew check these guys out for connectors,cables and othe DIY stuff.In Canada in Canadian $$$.I've ordered from them and the service is excellent.All my custom powercords including the 20 footer I made for my X1 projo use this Marinco IEC connector.They work great.Plus they have 15% off all orders placed by Aug 31/03

Comment

• Claude D D
                                • Jan 2003

I use the Flavor 1 on my Rotel amps and Flavor 3 on my RSP-1066.They work great.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Cluade:T

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                    • Jan 2003

I use the Flavor 1 on my Rotel amps and Flavor 3 on my RSP-1066.They work great.
                                    Claude,

Can you please elaborate on that a little more...by "work great" what do you mean by that? Did you experience a perceived increase in sound quality, blacker background, etc.? I understand this may open up a can of worms, but I'm in the camp that says that a difference in sound quality can be heard with a better power cord.

Comment

• Claude D D
                                      • Jan 2003

...by "work great" what do you mean by that? Did you experience a perceived increase in sound quality, blacker background, etc.?
                                      All of the above Ron.I also added a Monster HTS5100 and together with the upgraded powercords there was a noticable lower noise floor,high frequencies smoothed out slightly and bass tightend up slightly.I also have a 14 awg custom made DIY power cord on my X1 front projo and the picture is totally noise free.Hope this is a lillte more descriptive of the "works great" phrase.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                        • Jan 2003

"Hope this is a lillte more descriptive of the 'works great' phrase."

Claude,

Thanks, it sure is! However due to impatience (read: upgraditis), I didn't wait until you posted your response to order a Flavor 3...it's already on the way and should be here Tuesday! :LOL: For $60, I figured what the hell?!

"...high frequencies smoothed out slightly"

Pardon my ignorance, but is that a good thing?

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"