X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

AMP Sitting the twins.

My buddy is off on a cruise, so I get to amp sit the twins. I will have them until next Saturday.
    They are the Atma-sphere M60 MKIII. 60W OTL amp. The question as to weather tubes can drive my logans has been answered. The answer is yes.
    With the help of a Paul Speltz Zero box the amp seems to be doing just fine.
    I have a week to put it through it's pases so I will see how I feel a few days from now. So far it handled everything I threw at it. The bass reproduction is as good as the Krell. The amp has a meter on the front so I can see how hard its working. It does put out about 70W at the highest frequencies, but never gets into the red.
    Attached Files
    Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Wow thats interesting - A tube amp that does bass as well as a Krell. Friend of mine (yeah that one again) tried a Mac MC250 and was unimpressed but he likes it loud and is into the likes of Tool.

This is an interesting addition to the discussion a few threads down about the 804s, although the difficult to drive frequencies are very different on those speakers.

I reckon I have the best of both worlds - a high quality SS amp from a manufacturer that understands what makes tubes nice to listen to. For my taste I much prefer the Conrad Johnson sound to the Krell version of musical events. Yes I could live with either but CJ is my preference.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        Wow thats interesting - A tube amp that does bass as well as a Krell. Friend of mine (yeah that one again) tried a Mac MC250 and was unimpressed but he likes it loud and is into the likes of Tool.

This is an interesting addition to the discussion a few threads down about the 804s, although the difficult to drive frequencies are very different on those speakers.

I reckon I have the best of both worlds - a high quality SS amp from a manufacturer that understands what makes tubes nice to listen to. For my taste I much prefer the Conrad Johnson sound to the Krell version of musical events. Yes I could live with either but CJ is my preference.
        Looking at the power meters on the amps, producing bass is not a problem. The amp barely bats an eyelash. What uses power are the high frequencies.
        And don't forget the ZEOR box and my small room. The tube ss combo is a good option, I just always wanted an all tube system. The only reason for the delay was because of the Logans. I have a few more days with the amps so we'll see how I feel about it then.
        Greg

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"