Is ther any quality gain to bi-amp using two Mcintosh mc402 amps on a pair B&W 802Ds

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ED K
    • Apr 2005

Is ther any quality gain to bi-amp using two Mcintosh mc402 amps on a pair B&W 802Ds

The question ,,,is they much to gain in bi-amping a pair of B&W 802Ds using two Mcintosh MC402 amps vs.bi-wireing two B&W 802Ds using two MC500 mono amps. No,, I'm not loaded but I do like Mcintosh, retired, enjoy getting the most out of sytem and have a terrible need to keep pushing for the best I can musicaly get. OR is the return on the investment not there
    would love to here coments form those who may have done somthing similar.

My current system uses a MC402 biwired using AudioGuest PiKEs peak speaker cables (the ones with the MAGICAL 36V BIAS).
    yOUR COMMENTS PLEASE :

Second QUESTION ,, ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE MCINTOSH MDA1000 IN IMPROVING THE SOUND OF THE 802DS?
    Those who know it all know less than those who don't
  • jlr_1304
    • Aug 2005

Here's a good article on bi-amping:

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

What you would need to do is to disconnect the passive crossover and connect and active cross over. Once that's done you can connect your second amp.

By having one amp control the woofers, the other the mids and tweeters and using their current cross over would be vertually no gain.

Consider your starting point. The McIntosh 402 is a great amp by itself. Without an active crossover the improvement...well...some would not be able to tell the difference. If you have an extra $5,000 consider your cd player or pre amp.

The Pikes Peak should be fine. There could be improvement if you ran a second pair of AQ's heavier guage cable to the woofers, i.e. AQ Midnight or Clear (discontinued)cable. You can pick them up used for 2-$300 on audiogone, etc. So you don't have to break the bank again. I assume your interconnects are Jaguar or Panthers. Cheetahs would be great.

Jeff

Comment

• ED K
        • Apr 2005

Well, I think I have come to my own conclusion on my question of bi-amping my 802D apeakers. I removed the jumpers on the 802D speakers and hooked up the mid - high to the Mcintosh MC402 and to the base drivers inputs a Bryston 4B SST my dealer let me use (My dealer are incredible people to deal with!). I did play around with the connections eg. (just the Bryston, the Bryston to the mid-high and the base to the MC402) the end result was with the Bryston driving the base and the MC402 driving the mid-high.
        I could not believe the results!!! The lushness and realizim of the mid-highs reached a level I thought was impossible. The base now has a Punch that only came with the sub connected to the system only much BETTER. Bottom line, It "feels and sounds" like no other system I have EVER heard!!! I tried the new setup with all types of music. From pop to classical, instrumental to vocal. Jazz to New age. The sound was SO incredable It feels "LIVE". The B&W 802Ds are even BETER that I could have EVER imagined. They came to life far beyound what I thought was possible.The vocals were so real it felt that i was sitting in the front row. Instrumentals were well, just real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I am one VERY happy music lover.

Comment

• james_dmi
          • Jan 2005

It’s odd to here of a successful bi-amp with amps from different vendors. Are you sure the gain on both these amps is the same? If not then connecting an amp with more gain to the LF will make the sound warmer then single amping. I'm a big fan of bi-amping but I'm sure you will get more performance form two identical power amps. See if you can borrow another McIntosh or Bryston and let us know the results.

BTW How would you describe the sound of the Bryston vs the McIntosh when you just had the single amps driving the speakers?
          James

Comment

• ED K
            • Apr 2005

Biamping the B&W 802d wth a MC402 and a Bryston 4b SST

I know that this goes against most if not all of the people in the know but ,,,, You CAN biamp with two different makes of amps and get the best of the best each has to offer. I set up a repeatable selection of music from the same source that would test most if not all the things that one looks for who enjoys music like I do. Clarity, natural rendition of instruments and vocals, bass that is realistic etc,
            I kept the volume setting on the Mcintosh MX135 control center the same/made no adjustment what so ever as I changed amps.
            The combinations connected to the 802Ds were
            Bi-wired Mc402 --- Nice pleasent sound, bass a bit bloomy but high to mid very clear and natural. I really haven't heard anything better in this range.

Bi-wired Brytson 4B SST--- Nice but lacking in clarity compared to the MC402. Out standing bass, quick, firm when it was supposed to be.

Bi-amped with MC402 driving base and the 4B SST driving the mid to high --- lost on both bass and mid to high

Bi-amped with the 4B SST driving the base and the MC402 driving the mid to high -- Best of both!!!!! Had the clarity and srtong bass responce.

Sorry I couldn't give a better discription like the wine tasters do but, for "ME" this is the combination that sounds like I'm in the middle of live music! I even disconnected my powered sub.
            Hope this helps a little
            Ed

Comment

• Indytown
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ED K
              I know that this goes against most if not all of the people in the know but ,,,, You CAN biamp with two different makes of amps and get the best of the best each has to offer. I set up a repeatable selection of music from the same source that would test most if not all the things that one looks for who enjoys music like I do. Clarity, natural rendition of instruments and vocals, bass that is realistic etc,
              I kept the volume setting on the Mcintosh MX135 control center the same/made no adjustment what so ever as I changed amps.
              The combinations connected to the 802Ds were
              Bi-wired Mc402 --- Nice pleasent sound, bass a bit bloomy but high to mid very clear and natural. I really haven't heard anything better in this range.

Bi-wired Brytson 4B SST--- Nice but lacking in clarity compared to the MC402. Out standing bass, quick, firm when it was supposed to be.

Bi-amped with MC402 driving base and the 4B SST driving the mid to high --- lost on both bass and mid to high

Bi-amped with the 4B SST driving the base and the MC402 driving the mid to high -- Best of both!!!!! Had the clarity and srtong bass responce.

Sorry I couldn't give a better discription like the wine tasters do but, for "ME" this is the combination that sounds like I'm in the middle of live music! I even disconnected my powered sub.
              Hope this helps a little
              Ed
              That is one of the audio THINGS we search for; you stumble upon a combination of pieces that make it sound like you just shit in your pants, you can't believe it.

Down side, if you have dollars you will try to get better at a different price level, and stubble around experimenting.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

So, who makes a good electronic crossover? To really bi-amp speakers?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"