X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_s
    • Mar 2005

Home Theater with McIntosh and B&W ?

I've asked versions of this question on the B&W forum, so please bear with me if this sounds like a duplicate. I've spent about the last year (off and on) trying to decide on that "last" system capable of meeting my wish list for both audio and video (about 50-50 per audio, including multi-chan music but primarily stereo - the other 50 movies / tv.....am anxously looking forward to HD-DVD.

I thought I'd settled on a 5.1 system with B&W 802D all around except the center where I'd like to hear their new HTM1D, but haven't been able to do so. McIntosh MC501 monoblocks for the amps. McIntosh MX-135 for the processor. I'd like to hear this with the new B&W ASW875, but doesn't seem to be out yet; the dealer is pushing me to Velodyne DD.

I auditioned the above setup (except they only had two MC501's, they substituted a ARCAM amp for the other 3 channels).

Observation: pretty disappointed, and I'm assuming it was set up issues. The sub was in a corner, and did not integrate with the 802's at all. The universal player was noticeably less clear on SACD than my much cheaper sony.

Basis question: am I possibly considering a wrong combination of components to optimize for both music and Home Theater ? (This stuff is expensive.....i'd have thought it could do both well). Different speakers ? I've listened to quite a few, and have come back to the B&W, although this is more a music statement than HT. Differnt AMPs / processor ....i.e. should I audition the new Classe or something else.

I've somewhat decided that five full range speakers is for me at least more enjoyable than a 7.1 setup. Is this unusual ?

Anyone have experience with the Runco VX5000D ? That's the dealers recommendation. I saw the 4000d and it did look better on DVD than the other dlp systems i'd seen; about the same on High Def TV.

Again, I'm willing to accept the problems were set up related (the dealer is new to selling mcintosh) , but I was pretty negatively surprised, as I was ready to buy that day had i liked what I saw and heard.

Thanks for any insights / experiences.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"