X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Active Monitor Suggestions?

Does anyone have experience with active monitors? What are the best brands? What are the pros and cons of having the amp inside the speaker? I heard that Genelec is excellent. Any other suggestions? Looking in the $2000-$5000 range. Thx, Russ
    Russ
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Genelec was going to be my suggestion :T
    Jason

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Dynaudio have some offerings too... Their BM15A is spectacular. My brother uses them in his studio. They cost about €2k each so could be in budget. There are cheaper and more expensive in their lineup so there are options too...
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• jack667
        • Jul 2007

Domestic or professional environment?

ATC support both - from all budgets

Don't think theres much better out there than ATC... or you could look at PMCs active range
        B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

From preliminary investigations looks like you guys have come up with the top 4 companies that provide active monitors for the recording/broadcast biz. Thx for the quality suggestions, thats what I needed. Russ
          Russ

Comment

• cinema bob
            • Apr 2005

Also have a listen to KRK I find that they are the most pleasing to listen to.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Also, depending on your definition of "monitor", other high quality choices for active speakers would include Linn and Meridian, although most configurations would be out of your stated price range when new.

Another possibility would be to mate a mini-monoblock such as the Bryston PowerPac 300 SST (which could be mounted on the back of a speaker or placed very close to it) http://www.bryston.ca/pp300sst_m.html with an excellent passive monitor of your choosing. Of course, that option would require one mini-monoblock per monitor speaker. You would pretty much achieve the objectives of active speakers which retaining the flexibility to upgrade the speakers at some later date without having to give up / replace the superlative electronics.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"