X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • appraiser
    • Apr 2007

B&W 802 805 help

Im thinking about getting rid of my Martin Logans and switching to B&W. This would save greatly needed space and sound better. :lol:
    My room is approximately 25' x 15' with 8' cielings.

I have a chance to get; 802 series 3, 805 matrix. What is a good price for these speakers?
    Also available are Rotel RB956ax, RB990bx, RTC-965, Sonic Frontier Transdac???(I have no idea what these are for)Velodyne ULD-12.

Questions, is this a good assemble? Is my room too small? What price would be too much.
    Thanks in advance....
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I am curious about which MLs you have and why you are unhappy with the sound.

You may have better luck over at Club B&W with this one. There are one or two older B&W owners over there that I believe picked up there gear 2nd hand.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      Not sure which ML's you have but they are all very amplifier sensitive. They will not be at their best with the amps you are considering. They will show every flaw. Some folks (me) think this is a strength of the design.

B&W's are much more forgiving. I also own B&W's which are used in my HT system. While I'm very happy with the B&W's they will never match my ML CLS IIA's in my main music system.

However, I don't think you are making a mistake. For the ML's to really perform you must invest in very expensive electronis. If you can't do this, go for B&W.

Sparky

Comment

• appraiser
        • Apr 2007

up front I have Odyssey and Scripts in rear, plus sub and center. These things are huge and the boxes take up 1/2 my garage. I do enjoy the sound of these and usally dont listen to much music, lots of movies and shows. I was considering the B&W for space saving but if the sound wont change a great deal??
        Thanks

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
          There is no question that your ML based system could sound world class if paired with the right electronics and with a good room setup. I really don't understand why you are considering change. You certainly have a big enough room for the ML's. Based only on what you have told us, I would never switch. Maybe you just love to change equipment. If you think that the B&W's really do sound better then go for it.

It's too bad you don't listen to more music on your system. DVD sound tracks are usually no better than generic. OTH, music would be absolutely wonderful on your system (with the right electronics).

Very few folks who have owned electrostatic speakers ever go back to conventional designs. They can hear the differences and understand that conventional speakers are limited. But I do think that ESL's also have limitations (deep bass) but these can be worked around for terrific results.

You can always burn the boxes.

Do you have other reasons for considering a switch? Like a complaining wife? If not, what you have said so far makes no sense to me.

Sparky

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by appraiser

Questions, is this a good assemble? Is my room too small? What price would be too much.
            Thanks in advance....
            Yes
            No
            50% of new retail (since those are pretty old)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"