X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asg420
    • Jul 2004

New to forum - Best to match with 802's

Hi -

I have decided to purchase a pair of 802's as my front speakers for a home theater system. I currently have 4 CM4's for my fronts & rears with the CMC as my center channel.

Since the 802's are putting a real dent in the wallet :P , I am considering using my CM4's for rears with the 802's up front. What do you think about this combo? Am I better off buying the pair of 805's to match best with the 802's or do the CM4's suffice?

I am really into my stereo channel music. Movies, in my opinion sound great with any equipment of this calliber....My concern is the rare 5 channel audio dvd or using my processors "sound enhancing" modes to fill all 5 channels with a stereo signal. Are the 805's better to match than CM4's?

Also, in regard to power handeling.....Can I use an amp rated at 200w/ch with 805's & CM4's? I know that the power handeling ratings for the 805's are 50w-150w as are the CM4's. Will this extra power hinder these speakers or make them sound even better? Is it advisable with B&W speakers to stick within the power rating specified?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

asg
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Instead of 805's for the rears, it would be better to have 804's, 803's or even 802's, to get the benefit of matching FST's for mid, even if they arent in the cool "bowling ball" as my fiance called it. Since this may not be feasable, or until any of the speakers from 805/scm1 up to 802's are for your rear support, I would think your current speakers will hold up.

Also, over-powering your speakers will not be an issue as long as you do not crank your system (thinking 11 from spinal tap). I believe their ratings are conservative. You should notice the speakers deliver in a more relaxed fashion.. I guess that is how you would describe it. They won't have to strain to deliver, in other words. more clarity across all volume ranges.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• alkalay
      • Jun 2004

Hi asg,

I also have a pair of CM4's as mains and stereo music for me is also the main concern. Wow upgrading to 802's ... what a way to go :T

About that power issue: A good amplification, a one that would keep delivering even at demanding situations, should not be a problem even if it's rated higher than what is indicated on your B&W's. On the contrary, a good powerful amplification would control your speakers better and would bring the best out of them.
      I agree with sikoniko, better performance across all volume levels.

Regarding the other speakers setup, IMO a greater concern should be a new center to go with your new to be 802's before taking care of the rears.

Itai.

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

Well, for using FST's for mids, you could go to the 700-series.

I use as front-speakers Matrix 801 S2 and as surrounds: CDM 9NT's, so a mixture of FST's and non-FST's. It doesn't bother me and mostly I just listen to stereo.

So I would advice you to buy the 802's and use the CM's as long as necessary. And to start changing speakers, I would start with the center speaker but probably you can enjoy quite a while the nieuw system.

And a center speaker is no must, you can work with a phantom center. That should go well with the 802's.

Jürgen

Comment

• Prosecutor
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by asg420
          Hi -

I have decided to purchase a pair of 802's as my front speakers for a home theater system. I currently have 4 CM4's for my fronts & rears with the CMC as my center channel.

Since the 802's are putting a real dent in the wallet :P , I am considering using my CM4's for rears with the 802's up front. What do you think about this combo? Am I better off buying the pair of 805's to match best with the 802's or do the CM4's suffice?

I am really into my stereo channel music. Movies, in my opinion sound great with any equipment of this calliber....My concern is the rare 5 channel audio dvd or using my processors "sound enhancing" modes to fill all 5 channels with a stereo signal. Are the 805's better to match than CM4's?

Also, in regard to power handeling.....Can I use an amp rated at 200w/ch with 805's & CM4's? I know that the power handeling ratings for the 805's are 50w-150w as are the CM4's. Will this extra power hinder these speakers or make them sound even better? Is it advisable with B&W speakers to stick within the power rating specified?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
          Not using five identical speakers is always a compromise.
          But to my mind there is no need for you to upgrade the rears. I have a setup with N802-HTM1-N805. My experience is that there is no DVD which demands much from the rear speakers and makes differences to the front speakers truly audible. The problem, however, could be the center. I would recommend you to keep using the CMC for now, but to consider a long-term upgrade to the HTM1 (unless you can afford a third N802 as center :W )

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

center might be a must if you have the speakers spaced pretty well. I would definately factor an htm1 into the 802 mix.. i love spending other peoples money.. heh

Comment

• asg420
              • Jul 2004

I like you guys spending my money too ;-)

Thank you all for the replies.....

So Based upon the advice I have recieved here, and based upon my listening at my dealer this afternoon, I am closer to my purchase decision now.

My new question is......How will the HTM1 work if its running off of a 5x125w/ch amp? Does the HTM1 crave over 200w of power to perform at its best?

My biggest concern with the HTM1 is not having anywhere to put the damn thing yet! I might be able to place it about 2"off the floor in the TV stand....need to have a tv stand built to incorporate the HTM1.

I also think I am going to go with the Rotel 1090 for the 802's and was thinking about the 1075 for the surrounds and center....may have to just get the 1095. Your thoughts about how the HTM1 will work with a 125w amp are appreciated!

kind regards,

asg

Comment

• Rags
                • Aug 2003

Dont worry about the power side for the 805's. I used to own 805's and used a Parasound A51 on them (250RMS x 4 ohms per channel). Cranked them up as well and never had a problem.

Regarding the HTM1, again the more power you can give it the better. I dont think 125RMS will get the best out of it - you should be looking to feed it at least 200-300RMS as its a pretty power hungry beast.

I personally wouldnt consider running 802's with a Rotel 1095 or a 1090 as although the Rotels are good power amps they are not in the same league as the 802's. You will never hear the speakers at their best. Not sure what your budget but have you considered something like a Bryston 14BSST, Parasound JC1 monoblocks, Krell CX range etc.

Are you looking to get a 5.1 or 7.1 set up ? If 7.1 the other thing you could do is to buy something like two powerful 5 channel power amps and use 6 channels to biamp the front three and the other 4 to run the rears.

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

You might want to consider an earthquake cinenova grande.

depending on which you get, it is 300w/channel. It will power your system well, and then at a later time, you can save up to buy a better 2 channel amp for your 802's. These amps can be had for really good prices (better than what you find on the websites).

The htm1 is rated at 250w I believe, so the 125 wouldnt push it very well.

Comment

• Rags
                    • Aug 2003

Also - I would be more concerned about underpowering your speakers than overpowering them. There is nothing worse for speaker drivers than an overwhelmed amp clipping when driven hard.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"