X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • collectslps
    • Jan 2007

Opinions Please

I would appreciate your weighing in on my system. I am considering an upgrade to the Musical Fidelity A5. All my gear is mid 90's stuff, but I believe very good entry level equipment. Will appreciate suggestions for "next steps." I also am unsure how my current system "stacks up." Thanks!!!!!

Rega P3 w/ Elys Cartridge
    Rotel RC990BX Preamp
    Rotel RB980BX Amplifier
    Audioquest Emerald
    Audioquest Midnight
    Genesis Technologies Genre I Speakers
    Last edited by collectslps; 26 January 2007, 13:50 Friday. Reason: incomplete information
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Since you really didn't give us any details, all I can say is the A-5 is superb !!
    Dave

Comment

• collectslps
      • Jan 2007

Rega P3 w/ Elys Cartridge
      Rotel RC990BX Preamp
      Rotel RB980BX Amplifier
      Audioquest Emerald
      Audioquest Midnight
      Genesis Technologies Genre I Speakers

Comment

• twitch54
        • Apr 2006

The A-5 will definetly move to the head of the food chain !! nothing wrong with that if further upgrades are planned, if not get the Rotel RCD-1072 for it would mate perfectly with your existing system or if your prefer Musical Fidelity, the 3.5. I have owned both over the years and they are excellent pieces, IMO.
        Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I have two RB980BX amps that I bought new 13 years ago.
          I have used them 'hard' for the entire time, and still am very happy with them.
          I am not one for specs per say, but there is not much wrong with a 1000 damping factor. For the price and power, I feel it is still a decent little amp.

?Cary? Did someone just say Cary tube???
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• warnerwh
            • Jan 2006

Unless you already have good acoustical treatment you'll get the most sound quality improvement with your money here. It can make a huge difference, far more than any amp, preamp or any other electronics.

If you can put bass traps and room treatment in your room let us know and we'll show you how to make your existing system sound far better than you had any idea it could. After 35 years in this hobby I'm convinced room acoustics should be the first priority if at all possible. Sometimes the SO factor gets in the way. Even then though there's ways to help improve the sound.

One thing to consider too is that typically room treatment offers excellent returns on your investment. You spend 500 on an better amp and let me spend 300 on just room treatments. Same system but the one with the room treatment will certainly make the other sound like something is wrong. That's because it is.

Sound travels in waves of lengths varying from tens of feet to a fraction of an inch for the upper treble. If you're interested let me know and I will help you.

Cheers

Comment

• deke
              • Dec 2005

Where can I find some info on room acoustics / treatments. My stuff is set up in a 40' x 30' finished basement... but the basement is ceramic tiled, so I know that's not good.

Comment

• collectslps
                • Jan 2007

My local hifi dealer had suggested I try a better preamp or the MF5 integrated. Really don't want to spend the $s and have always felt my Rotel gear to be good even if considered entry level.

Instead I bought Robert Harley's "Complete Guide to High End Audio" and for the past month have been moving the speakers around and also researching room treatments. Frankly, pretty frustrated with the former and the latter seems expensive in its own right.

My room is 12 x 23 x 7 1/2. The speakers are ~ 4 ft from one of the short walls. One long wall is all brickwork with a fireplace parallel to the left speaker. The fireplace's brickwork extends 1 -2 ft from the wall into the room, floor to ceiling. The rest of the wall is built-in bookshelves/storage. The other long wall has a large sliding wood door from behind the right speaker to almost 1/2 the room. After another yd or so, the room is open to another room. Both short walls have alot of glass, huge picture window behind speakers, sliding glass door at other end next to a coat closet that extends 3 ft into the room. Have cloth vertical blinds (closed) across short wall behind speakers and the sliding glass door.

Above the ceiling is a good amount of insulation. The floor is carpeted over linoleum. Beneath is a crawl space.

Any suggestions??????

Comment

• deke
                  • Dec 2005

So far all I've been able to find is a suggestion to read the book "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everest. Does anyone have experience with this book... seems like it is geared towards studios.

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

Deke,
                    Go to this website,http://audioperfectionist.com/PDF%20...journal2rl.pdf and read pages 23-27. Follow his advice plus add a bass trap in each of your front corners and you will not need anything else in regards to treatment. The best part is that all the treatments are hidden and the room improved visually as well as better acoustics.

Comment

• deke
                      • Dec 2005

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"