X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allegiance
    • Sep 2006

New two channel system

Hi,

I am thinking about setting up a new two channel system incorporating the following.

1x Pair B&W 705
    1x Rotel RB-1070

Now my dilema is what processor do I use. I have been thinking of using my existing Denon AVR-2803.

How much of an advantage would an Rotel RC-06 give me? Also how would I set this up with a subwoofer?
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

[QUOTE=Allegiance]Hi,

I am thinking about setting up a new two channel system Now my dilema is what processor do I use. I have been thinking of using my existing Denon AVR-2803QUOTE]

Processor ?????? that's HT talk !!! You want to use a good Line Stage Pre-amp for they are far superior for serious two channel music re-production.

My recomendations would be to audition something from ARC, CJ, Cary Audio, Modwright or BAT.
    Last edited by twitch54; 24 January 2007, 17:30 Wednesday.
    Dave

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Too bad you are in Bongoland - I have a RC-1070 & RB-1070 (both balck) for sale.

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

At a minimum, get away from an AVR. If you want to stay in the Rotel line for little money try an rc-1070 or better yet look at the new rc-1084 due out soon.

If your budget allows, you can look at more expensive preamps such as the first reply mentioned. Don't be afraid to look at second hand high quality preamps as well.

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I'd be using a 2ch integrated with ht bypass. eg musical fidelity a3.5, arcam a90, cambridge audio 540A, all around the $2k aussie mark.

all with give you a nice dose of 2ch, will integrate nicely with your ht avr and give benefit to ht as well driving your fronts

oh yes make sure you get your self a nice nice matching cd player ..essential for quality 2ch!.

and ... all available in "bongoland" hehe
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Allegiance
            • Sep 2006

[QUOTE=twitch54]
            Originally posted by Allegiance
            Hi,

I am thinking about setting up a new two channel system Now my dilema is what processor do I use. I have been thinking of using my existing Denon AVR-2803QUOTE]

Processor ?????? that's HT talk !!! You want to use a good Line Stage Pre-amp for they are far superior for serious two channel music re-production.

My recomendations would be to audition something from ARC, CJ, Cary Audio, Modwright or BAT.
            Sorry! New to the two channel area.
            Would a Rotel RC-06 be a good Pre-Amp?
            I don't really have the budget for much more

Comment

• Allegiance
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by miner
              Too bad you are in Bongoland - I have a RC-1070 & RB-1070 (both balck) for sale.
              Never heard of Bongoland before. :B

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

[QUOTE=Allegiance]
                Originally posted by twitch54

Sorry! New to the two channel area.
                Would a Rotel RC-06 be a good Pre-Amp?
                I don't really have the budget for much more

I don't personally have any working knowledge of that unit but given Rotel's stellar reputation for affordable gear I would suspect it to perform A-OK !!

BTW, your next door neighbor (New Zealand) makes some of the nicest audio gear around........Plinius.
                Dave

Comment

• earwit
                  • Jun 2006

Why get a preamp for 2-channel ??

If this is truly a 2-channel system you may consider
                  getting a CD player that goes direct into the amp..

There are a few Cd players on the market that
                  have a gain control...

This I beleive would get you the best in 2-Channel..

Clean pure and direct...

Bob

Comment

• Jesse111
                    • Jul 2005

I would tend to agree with earwit. I'm pure 2 channel an my system is direct to amps from the player and has proven to be a stellar way to go for me. Can you afford the McIntosh 201 with any Mac amp? If so, that would bring 2 channel sound with those 704's to a new level.

However, I would put the McIntosh 201 player as one of the best players with volume control made on planet earth and would only go to improve the performance of any sound system with virtually any amp you chose to use with it.

Opera Audio Droplett is also a very nice player with volume control. These players aren't cheap but you avoid the expense of a preamp.

Comment

• adaum
                      • Jan 2007

I am running a 2-channel system with a rotel RB 1070 amp with the RC 1070 pre-amp pushing B&W CDM 7NT's and i could not ask for better sound for the money. I feel that the RC 1070 is a great pre-amp for the money. i don't have any experiance with the Rotel pre you are speaking of.

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jesse111
                        These players aren't cheap but you avoid the expense of a preamp.
                        and you also lose your flexibility should one have a analog front end !
                        Dave

Comment

• DL86
                          • Sep 2005

Shanling make cd players that can be connected straight to an amplifier for relatively cheap. I have a CD-T80 going to a rotel RB-1090 and I just love how it sounds clean, pure and detailed.

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

Another minimalist option is CD player/transport > DAC (w/volume control) > amplifier.
                            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by earwit
                              If this is truly a 2-channel system you may consider
                              getting a CD player that goes direct into the amp..

There are a few Cd players on the market that
                              have a gain control...

This I beleive would get you the best in 2-Channel..

Clean pure and direct...

Bob
                              Word of caution here. Don't discount a pre-amps/line stage for improving sound quality.

I have A B compared a Shanling T80 straight to my power amp vs a CJ preamp. Going from the pre to the variable output I tried to be positive but frankly I had no wish to take the pre-amp out of the equation. In my system the pre-amp was well worth the extra dollars. The setup without the pre-amp did not even last a song.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

If you like the sound of Rotel with B&W's, you might consider their integrated amp at your price-level along with the RCD-1072 CD player. In fact, Rotel features 705's with that combo in their brochures. Then down the road you can throw a separate amp in the mix using the integrated as your preamp.

A snippet from Rotel's site... (they have a tuner thrown in the mix too)
                                ~Nick

Comment

• Scumurculum
                                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  Word of caution here. Don't discount a pre-amps/line stage for improving sound quality.

I have A B compared a Shanling T80 straight to my power amp vs a CJ preamp. Going from the pre to the variable output I tried to be positive but frankly I had no wish to take the pre-amp out of the equation. In my system the pre-amp was well worth the extra dollars. The setup without the pre-amp did not even last a song.

I wish to concur with Briz Vegas on this.

I was at his place trying my Shanling cd-t80 with his system at the time. The difference between running the shanling direcly into the power amp and using a conrad johnson preamp was dramatic.

Until then in my system I was using the shanling directly into a Thule PA350b power amp (which was powering martin logans), I thought the sound was good, until then....

Anyway within 2 weeks of that I had purchased a primaluna prologue 3 pre, and the improvement to my system was dramatic, especially for vocals.

I might add the shanling uses a digital volume control which is known to degrade the signal slightly.

Other players may use other techniques which could be better.

Comment

• dknightd
                                    • Mar 2006

I use a preamp in my system to accomidate multiple sources.
                                    But my Benchmark DAC1 sounds better just fed to the amp direct.
                                    I guess some people need a preamp, others don't, and still others like what it does
                                    to the sound so they want one.

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
                                      I use a preamp in my system to accomidate multiple sources.
                                      But my Benchmark DAC1 sounds better just fed to the amp direct.
                                      I guess some people need a preamp, others don't, and still others like what it does
                                      to the sound so they want one.
                                      perhaps depends from system to system or the pre-amps compared with. but have heard the benchmark dac1 in my system and another and it is my opinion a dedicated 2ch pre-amps are a very good step up from the bench mark. thats not to say the benchmark is not a good dac - its an excellent dac and a good headphone amp. but as a pre I think you can do a lot better.

the importance of a good 2ch pre is never to be underestimated.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                        • Sep 2006

I went to my Hi-Fi dealer on the weekend and tried the 705's with a RB-1070 and a RA-1062. I also tried the 705's with just the RA-1062, and I also tried the 705's with a RA-1062 and a RB-1080.

I found the RB-1070 was by far the best. The RB-1080 seemed to distort the music and I really didn't like the sound it produced. Thanks for everyones help.

I think I will be going with 705's + RB-1070 + RC-1070.

Comment

• alebonau
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Oct 2005

I went to my Hi-Fi dealer on the weekend and tried the 705's with a RB-1070 and a RA-1062. I also tried the 705's with just the RA-1062, and I also tried the 705's with a RA-1062 and a RB-1080.

I found the RB-1070 was by far the best. The RB-1080 seemed to distort the music and I really didn't like the sound it produced. Thanks for everyones help.

I think I will be going with 705's + RB-1070 + RC-1070.
                                          I might suggest to try a few other brands from the rotel as well. for another perspective...

Comment

• Allegiance
                                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                                            I might suggest to try a few other brands from the rotel as well. for another perspective...
                                            What's brands do you recommend? I don't exactly have enough money to buy Classe or McIntosh! :B

Comment

• peterS
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

popular choice w/ the rotel gear- dont know why this thread has generated such expensive counter suggestions

somewhat surprised you didnt like the 1080 , as i doubt they are designed much differently aside from power

if you care to the cambridge audio azur 640 v2 may be a better cd player than the rotel but id say the rotel has a better aesthetic than the azure

id say you are set :T

Comment

• BTB
                                                • Jan 2006

What's brands do you recommend? I don't exactly have enough money to buy Classe or McIntosh! :B
                                                Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse here... but I'd say you owe yourself to look into some of the established Chinese brands, like Consonance and Shanling.

They absolutely knock their Western branded counterparts out of the park in terms of build and sound quality, and they don't cost the earth either.

Rotel make pretty decent amps, I'll give them that... just the 1072 cd player and 1062 integrated have been around for a long while now with no significant upgrades and I'd say it should be easy to better them without breaking the bank.

Google the CD120 Linear from Consonance (which I own) or the Shanling T80, and read the reviews for yourself, maybe match either up with a Rotel amp if you're dead keen on it, I'm just suggesting that there is better sounding stuff out there that doesn't cost the price of a car.

Comment

• peterS
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

is the shanling t80 available in the US?
                                                  took me a while to realize that $1495.00 was not us dollars 8O

Comment

• BTB
                                                    • Jan 2006

Hi Peter..

Far as I know it is, I'm not in the States myself, so I'm not sure.

Pretty sure that some US forum members have been involved in discussions about this model.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Oct 2005

The rotel 1070 pre-pwr combination is about $1750 aussie. Personally in this price bracket I wouldnt go for a pre-power setup. Good quality 2ch interated will be a better value option in my opinion. Dont have to pay for the separate cases interconnects etc.

And there are some beaut 2ch integrated in this price range.

Musical fidelity A3.5
                                                      Arcam A90
                                                      Cambridge audio 540A

which are all $2k aussie options and would give the rotel a good run for money in my opinion with greater flexibility with their ht bypass for integration into a ht system involvign yoru denon AVR.

also the
                                                      cyrus 6vs
                                                      We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help

Alternatively the chinese options mentioned..in the under $2k aussie price bracket..

consonance m100 integrated upto the cyber 100 at $2,250 aussie
                                                      World renown Osborn hifi speakers & home theatre equipment. Listening pleasure like you've never experienced. Book a free, no-obligation demo today.

The
                                                      shanling SLM-A40MKII
                                                      or the Qinpu A-8000 Mk2

vincent valve hybrid integrated
                                                      We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help

you havent anywhere mentioned 2ch source. critical in my opinion to getting good 2ch.

plenty of choices from consonance and shanling, plus some other good numbers from arcam in the cd73, cyrus, plus a few cambridge audio, mf and marantz options

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"