X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

2x RB1070 attacking Paradigm Studio 100s

I'm also new to the forum and must say..."Rotel or bust"...
    Ivhung is motivating me to ask this question. I am currently driving Boston VR2 (bi-wired @ 4ohm) with RC1070/RB1070 pair with Boston PV500 sub using the secong line-level outs of the pre-amp. It KILLS!!
    I want to get a "real wood" speaker and was thinking of getting the Paradigm Studio 100s (rated @ 210W & 91db sensitivity) and another RB1070. the Paradigm dealer swears that the Rotels won't be able drive these speakers even in bridged mode (380W @ 8ohm)...and neither would the RB1080!! I'm unwilling to change amp brands and I DON'T believe him...!! He recommends much more expensive brands (5000 - 8000 US$ bracket). These obviously don't fit my budget.
    I also read in this forum that the RB1070 can't be used in bridged mode with 4 ohm speaker...? I don't understand this.
    Any advice...??
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Boombox,

I can't speak for the bridged RB-1070 but I've heard the RB-1080 on the Studio 100s and it is amazingly good.... Really controlls them well - especially bi-wired... Yes you will get even better sound from some of the better $5,000+ amps but the $999 the RB-1080 is hard to beat... Your RB-1070 will have excellent resale value (try the HTGuide's pawnshop) and the RB-1080 would then be likely a cheaper upgrade than the second RB-1070...

Geoff

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

I think the dealer is trying to get a sale for a higher margin amp

Like Aussie Geoff, I cannot comment on the dual RB-1070's, but I can give you my impressions of the RB-1080 with Paradigm Studio's. I'm running one with my Studio 80's (discontinued model from years back) and I can emphatically state that the RB-1080 is MORE THAN CAPABLE of driving these speakers. I wouldn't expect that the 100's would pose a significantly greater load than my 80's. In fact, I was recently considering upgrading to the 100's and I had NO plans for a power amp upgrade :T

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
        • May 2003

My bud was running the 1080 with 100v2's.
        nice combo. Unfortunately, he was one of the many owners that suffered from the fuse problems of the 1080. He eventually upgraded to the 1090 and it sounds quite awesome.
        200w is easily enough power for the 100's.
        great bass and exellent highs.
        (He's a Genesis freak and needed some groovy speakers for all those 12 string guitar passages).

cheers,
        Mikey
        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
        -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

Thanks for the replies....

I'm auditioning the Paradigms tomorrow morning and will keep you all posted. Met with my regular dealer this afternoon and he is of the opinion that the two RB1070s will cope handsomely rather than the 1080 (price of 2x1070 = 1080 = R12800 = US$2000). Plus the two power-amps have presence!!! They do look more intimidating than one power-amp. That said, is it better to bi-amp a speaker rather than have one dedicated amp per speaker? I would guess the latter a better option (so does my dealer).
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

One more powerful dedicated amp is better than two less powerful amps especially if you're not going to do "proper" biamping by crossing over the signal prior to amplification and defeating the speakers internal crossover
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"