X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

New to me: Denon 1800R CD Player

A few days ago, I was checking out some pawn shops and Goodwills. While at one of the pawn shops, I noticed this cd player. It was actually underneath a dvd player. The Denon was covered in dust so, I know it had been there a little while. I could read the faceplate which has the model # but, it meant nothing to me since I was not up to snuff on older cd players. What did catch my attention was the side wood panels. So I dug it out. Man...the thing weighed a ton (good sign)! In good shape too. What was this? A heatsink on the rear...hmmm. I thought to myself, if it works, it might be worth the $40 tag on it.

So I test it and everything worked great. So I asked for the remote. The gentlemen assisting me stated "there was none. if it was, it would have been taped to the unit.'' So I tell him without the remote it's only worth $15. He counters with $21 out the door.

So now the beast is in my home. All I've got to say is, it's the best $21 bucks I have ever spent! For the first time in my system, I can hear what a "true" soundstage sounds like. Now the soundstage was a shocker however, hearing more controlled bass (better definition), better dynamics, and clear clean midrange...this was amazing!!! At least to me since, I have always been of the camp that a source is pretty much a source. So there isn't much need aside from looks and features to spend more money. Boy was I wrong. ops:

After enjoying a few cd's, I decided to search the internet for info about my new toy. It seems that this was a pretty good piece (mine is a 1985 model) in it's day. I know it is night and day from the Harman/Kardon CDR-20 that I have been using for sometime now.

I just wanted to share and say, thank goodness for pawn shops and thrift stores. Because (up until now) I would have never spent $600.00 or even $300 bucks on a cd player. I hope this one last for a long time because now I will have to save more than usual to replace it. :B

"I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

that thing looks awesome! did you get silver or black faceplate? does it have digital output? nice find :T
    chris

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

that thing looks awesome! did you get silver or black faceplate? does it have digital output? nice find
      Thank you sir! I got the black face. It seems the silver is the earlier version DCD-1800 and the black faceplate was put on the later DCD-1800R
      I was glad to get the black since it blends well with the rest of my equipment. And after I cleaned it up, I found it was blemish free to boot.

No digital output. All analog baby! 8)

I see you're at Camp Humphreys. I was up the road a little to the north of you in 79-80 at Camp Casey. I bet that place has changed a lot.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"