X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

(Modification complete) - I'm turning my RMB-1095 from black to silver

I had a few scratches on the center faceplate of my black RMB-1095 (purchased before the silver ones came out) and figured I'd drop B&W/Rotel a call and see how much it would be for a new center faceplate. While I was at it I figured since my other two Rotel amps are silver series 10 I might as well get the silver center faceplate and button so all my amps match.

I found the email address for tech support and a gentleman by the name of Shane Kea was good enough to reply with the part numbers and a pic of the parts(see attachment).

For the RMB-1095 the parts numbers for the pic are:

1 & 2 in the pic equal the center panel
    Part #CS00075 (PANEL, FRONT CENTER BLACK RMB1095 $18.10)
    Part #CS00076 (PANEL, FRONT CENTER SILVER RMB1095 $18.10)

4 & 5 in the pic equal the sub assembly
    Part #CS00122 (PANEL, FRONT SUB BLACK RMB1095 $27.15)
    Part #CS00123 (PANEL, FRONT SUB SILVER RMB1095 $27.15)

Not numbered in the pic (only because I didn't originally ask shane for the button) so I only have the silver button part number:

Part #CS00007 (BUTTON, POWER 14F ROUND SILVER $1.81)

As you can see it cost under $50 to turn my black amp into a silver one, so it matches all my other Rotel gear.

Just email service@rotel.com

Shane, if you're out there I apologize in advance for any emails you might receive from this post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Legairre; 05 December 2008, 01:02 Friday.
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
  • imbeaujp
    • Nov 2007

Nice post, thank you !
    Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
    PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
    YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
    PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• Fishy
      • Jul 2004

I think when I looked into this in the past you have to remove the complete front assembly for the change. Its not as easy as it looks.

Fish

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

Yes you have to remove the heat sinks which are screwed in from the back so you have to remove the cover. Also like any amp it's always best to leave it unplugged (in my case 24hrs just to be sure) to make sure any stored charge has dissipated to ensure you don't get shocked to death. 24hrs may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

The parts should arrive this week I'll let you know how difficult it is.
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Legairre
          • Jan 2002

Never mind my previous post the interior shot of the amp shows the screws to remove the center panel accessable without removing the heat sinks. They are to the left and right of the transformer so it appears you only have to remove the cover.
          Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Legairre
            • Jan 2002

The parts arrived today and I have to admit I was wrong the front heat sink panel does have to be removed, but it's not difficult. I took my time and it took about 2 hours. I have about 25 pics of the whole process and I can give step by step instructions. It's late so I'll just post a few before and after pics now and post the rest tomorrow with instructions.

The whole process wasn't difficult it just takes time.
            Attached Files
            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Looks good, but one question: is the power LED red? I'm sure its blue on the silver ones. Maybe you should have changed that little PCB above the power switch too.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Legairre
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by imbeaujp
                Nice post, thank you !
                Thanks Jean, I hope it helps someone.
                Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Legairre
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by mjb
                  Looks good, but one question: is the power LED red? I'm sure its blue on the silver ones. Maybe you should have changed that little PCB above the power switch too.
                  Hi Mike, the blue LED comes pre-installed with the silver panel and the red LED is pre-installed in the black panel. Also the red LEDs for each channel are also pre-installed. All you have to do is connect the wires(clips) to the correct contact.

When you're done your black 1095 will have the exact same look as a silver factory 1095.

Here's a pic you can see the blue LED glowing

Legairre
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Legairre; 08 January 2009, 11:55 Thursday.
                  Radden Home Theater

Comment

• bnieman
                    • Jun 2006

Now all you have left to do is sell your black faceplate to cut down the net cost of the project
                    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Legairre
                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by bnieman
                      Now all you have left to do is sell your black faceplate to cut down the net cost of the project
                      :agree: Anyone want to buy a black 1095 faceplate?

About $50 and 2 hours. Kind of like going to a movie for three with popcorn and drinks. Except I get to keep the end result and don't have to deal with sticky floors and rude theater patrons. :T
                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• bnieman
                        • Jun 2006

And you're smarter as a result! (Assuming the movie you were referring to falls in the 90% or so of brainless entertainment)

Comment

• Legairre
                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by bnieman
                          And you're smarter as a result! (Assuming the movie you were referring to falls in the 90% or so of brainless entertainment)

I'm assuming the movie was one my wife would have picked :toilet:
                          Radden Home Theater

Comment

• bnieman
                            • Jun 2006

Speaking of your wife, does she prefer the silver faceplate or the black? If it was my girlfriend she would probably go with the impossible black faceplate with blue lights

Comment

• Legairre
                              • Jan 2002

I'm not even sure she knows I did the mod. I did it while she was at church last night(choir practice). I had it done and back in the rack in the theater before she got home. $100 says she never notices the change.
                              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Legairre
                                $100 says she never notices the change.
                                :rofl:

And thanks for clarifying the blue LED situation. I prefer the silver faceplate too.
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• atchudy
                                  • Nov 2007

I had a few scratches on the center faceplate of my black RMB-1095 (purchased before the silver ones came out) and figured I'd drop B&W/Rotel a call and see how much it would be for a new center faceplate. While I was at it I figured since my other two Rotel amps are silver series 10 I might as well get the silver center faceplate and button so all my amps match.

I found the email address for tech support and a gentleman by the name of Shane Kea was good enough to reply with the part numbers and a pic of the parts(see attachment).

Not numbered in the pic (only because I didn't originally ask shane for the button) so I only have the silver button part number:

As you can see it cost under $50 to turn my black amp into a silver one, so it matches all my other Rotel gear.

Shane, if you're out there I apologize in advance for any emails you might receive from this post.
                                  would this be possible with an rb-1072?

Comment

• bnieman
                                    • Jun 2006

It depends on whether or not Rotel still sells the faceplate, otherwise you would need to find someone to trade with. It is definitely possible though.

Contact Rotel support, they are always very helpful.

Comment

• Legairre
                                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by mjb
                                      :rofl:

And thanks for clarifying the blue LED situation. I prefer the silver faceplate too.
                                      No problem the blue looks a lot better than the red
                                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Legairre
                                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by atchudy
                                        would this be possible with an rb-1072?
                                        I have a silver RB-1050(70x2) and had a black RMB-1095 before doing the mod. I wanted the 1095 to be silver because I plan on picking up another RB-1050 and wanted everything to match. I also figured I could pick up a used RB-1050 and even if it was black I'd just mod to be silver like I did the 1095. I spoke to Shane at Rotel and he said they didn't have the RB-1050 parts in silver, but had the 1095 because it's a 75lb amp and sometimes gets damaged in shipping.

I'd do as bnieman suggested and drop an email to service@rotel.com and ask about the 1072.

BTW: I never posted the full picks and how to on the 1095 mod because it will take a good bit of time to write up and size the pick(100kb limit on this site) and it didn't seem that anyone was interested in doing the mod. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll take the time to write it up and post the pic.

Legairre
                                        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• pikers
                                          • May 2006

Hmm, wonder how tricky this would be with a receiver. Probably not much worse; just more plugs to undo/redo.

I'm thinking black faceplate with silver buttons would be slick if possible. :T

Comment

• Savannahshark
                                            • Mar 2017

Purchase of faceplate

:agree: Anyone want to buy a black 1095 faceplate?

About $50 and 2 hours. Kind of like going to a movie for three with popcorn and drinks. Except I get to keep the end result and don't have to deal with sticky floors and rude theater patrons. :T
                                            Do you still have these parts for sale? I'm going the opposite direction. Let me know and we'll make this happen. Thanks!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

the post you are responding to was made on 12-05-2008.

& it seems Legairre has not visited this forum since 02-15-2013.

however, replacement parts should still be available form Rotel, as far as i know.
                                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• lradden
                                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                the post you are responding to was made on 12-05-2008.

& it seems Legairre has not visited this forum since 02-15-2013.

however, replacement parts should still be available form Rotel, as far as i know.
                                                Wow! has it really been that long since I logged in? I still have the RMB-1095 and two RB-1050 amps, but due to Rotel not having room correction I have totally moved away from Rotel for processors and have moved over to Anthem since 2008. I love Rotel's amps but no room correction means no Rotel processor for me. Also Rotel doesn't seem to offer Atmos and DTS:X and I really wanted those features when I upgraded to my second Anthem processor since 2008 last December. I still love Rotel's amps but for me their processors lack basic features.

I haven't logged in for what like 4 years but I still come here every few days and read other peoples post, but since I only have Rotel amps and they have been rock solid I never log in because I don't have anything to add to any of the conversations.

So I guess this is my first log in and post in a looooong time. I'm surprised my password and account was still active after all this time.

Originally posted by Savannahshark
                                                Do you still have these parts for sale? I'm going the opposite direction. Let me know and we'll make this happen. Thanks!
                                                Unfortunately I ended up just throwing the old parts away years ago since no one wanted them. BTW: if you do change your face plate give me a shout and I can send you the word doc I put together years ago with pics and step by step instructions.

Legairre

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                  • Jan 2015

Is there anyone to paint front black grill to silver color spray?

Comment

• JDH
                                                    • Sep 2004

I wouldn't recommend painting the fins as it will not look original and most likely reduce its resale value. Wasn't the point of changing the centre section to silver to match other Rotel gear ? I probably would of gone the other way and turned your two other Rotel amps to black

JDH
                                                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• DFAL Minion
                                                      • Jan 2017

the fins on the front of the amp are for aesthetics (appearances) only.
                                                      they are not intended to function as heat dissipation (cooling) for the amp.
                                                      therefore, i see no problem with painting them.

i do, however, agree that the value of the amp will be reduced as a result.
                                                      whether that is an issue or not would be up to the owner.

if i were interested in a silver finish for the unit, (which i am not, since it is well known throughout the galaxy that BLACK gear sounds better), one could remove the front panel and have the black anodized finish bead-blasted.
                                                      afterwards, there would be multiple options on how to finish it.

it could be left 'as is'.
                                                      it could be sprayed with a clear coat finish, or any color of your choosing.
                                                      it could be clear anodized, or anodized to any range of available colors.
                                                      it could be polished to a chrome-like shine.

be it known that none of these options would imbue the equipment's performance with the obvious advantages provided by the Dark Force.
                                                      DFAL
                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries
                                                      Supreme Director of Operations, EVIL TWIN

"A Royal Guardsman never seeks special privileges, ever. His entire goal in life is to serve our Dark Master, ET, and the New Order he created."

Comment

• BWLover
                                                        • Jan 2009

I was told that the front fins on the 1095 are in fact heatsinks, but the 1090 is just for looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                        Playstation 3
                                                        Shaw HD PVR
                                                        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                          • Jan 2015

Is it necessary to replace "4 & 5 in the pic equal the sub assembly" so I guess if I just replace to "1 & 2 in the pic equal the center panel" it seems like this [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• lradden
                                                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by sakgoz79
                                                            Is it necessary to replace "4 & 5 in the pic equal the sub assembly" so I guess if I just replace to "1 & 2 in the pic equal the center panel" it seems like this [IMG][/IMG]
                                                            Sure you could do the mod without replacing 4 or 5. 4 and/or 5 are just the black and silver(depending on which color you are switching) sub assembly that makes the center top and bottom the same color as the center front.

Comment

• Fishy
                                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JDH
                                                              I wouldn't recommend painting the fins as it will not look original and most likely reduce its resale value.
                                                              Sadly the resale value of these nowadays isn't that great.

Fish

Comment

• lradden
                                                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Fishy
                                                                Sadly the resale value of these nowadays isn't that great.

Fish
                                                                They show up on ebay for about $1000. Not bad for a 10-15 year old amp with a $2000 MSRP.

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                  • Jan 2015

I sent you a mail

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                    • Jan 2015

I sent you a pm

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                      • Jan 2015

Hi guys, Is it possible to fix this dent?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                                                                      Last edited by sakgoz79; 29 June 2017, 11:56 Thursday.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Hi guys, Is it possible to fix this dent?

i can not see the pics...
                                                                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2015

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 4143

I see the pics, and DAMN! I would suppose anything can be fixed, but I'd consider having a professional look inside that before powering it up. There could be cracked solder joints, PCBs, etc., in there that could cause serious problems down the road. If you aren't very comfortable doing that sort of assessment/repair it should go to a qualified technician.
                                                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                                                            Marantz CD5005
                                                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2015
                                                                              • 30

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                              I see the pics, and DAMN! I would suppose anything can be fixed, but I'd consider having a professional look inside that before powering it up. There could be cracked solder joints, PCBs, etc., in there that could cause serious problems down the road. If you aren't very comfortable doing that sort of assessment/repair it should go to a qualified technician.
                                                                              Thanks for quick reply but it is working normally it has just dent

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2002
                                                                                • 4601

#40
                                                                                We had Rotel repair a shipping damaged 1090 before. If they still have the parts, time and a screw driver is all you need.

You'll need to contact them directly for part numbers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lradden
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2012
                                                                                  • 30

#41
                                                                                  Hi sakgoz79, I checked my pm but there wasn't anything from you.

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2015
                                                                                    • 30

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by lradden
                                                                                    Hi sakgoz79, I checked my pm but there wasn't anything from you.
                                                                                    I didnot send you a pm I send pm to Legairre

Comment

• lradden
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2012
                                                                                      • 30

#43
                                                                                      I didnot send you a pm I send pm to Legairre
                                                                                      Actually I am Legairre. I started the thread a looong time ago and hadn't come back to HTGuide for a number of years(like 8 years or so). I had come back at some point and couldn't remember my username and I also changed emails while gone so every automated username request went to my old email that I no longer had access to. So about 5 years ago I figured just re-register under another name.

Comment

• sakgoz79
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2015
                                                                                        • 30

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by lradden
                                                                                        Actually I am Legairre. I started the thread a looong time ago and hadn't come back to HTGuide for a number of years(like 8 years or so). I had come back at some point and couldn't remember my username and I also changed emails while gone so every automated username request went to my old email that I no longer had access to. So about 5 years ago I figured just re-register under another name.
                                                                                        I got it , Send it again check your inbox

Comment

• lradden
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2012
                                                                                          • 30

#45
                                                                                          I sent the instructions with pics on how replace the faceplate to your email address.

Legairre

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"