X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amfibius
    • Jul 2006

Do all amps sound the same? VOTE!

After reading the other thread I thought I would post a poll to see what people think
    Yes
    6.90%
    No
    91.38%
    Unsure
    1.72%
    Show me the results
    0.00%
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

No.

One would be foolish to say ALL amps sound the same.

BUT, many will be indistinguishable from one another when operated within certain constraints.

I think the results of the poll would be more interesting if the question was rephrased to include some constraints. Such as being of competent design, similar type of amp, operated to the lowest common denominator of those being compared, level matched, etc.

It's fairly obvious that a 100 WPC high end amp weighing 100lbs has an almost certain probability of blowing a 100 WPC receiver out of the water in a free-for-all matchup. I think the results COULD and MAY be much different when running them at "normal" listening levels requiring only a watt or two of power.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• wolfgang
      • Jul 2006

That probably sums up my own experience so far. I've never questioned some amps might by be better then others. Until recently that is. After listening using my own ears with the SP level matched more closely I was amazed how little difference the sound appear to be when driving the same pair of monitors. The pricetags range from UK£600, £1500, £2500 and £5000. They probably cost the same in US$. All were around 100-150W per channels solid state designs. So I bought the cheapest which was a Rotel.

I suppose the questions is what you wanted to do. If you are only going to drive the majority of loudspeakers with sensible load in an average size domestic living room then probably any competently design amps available nowadays are more then capable for the job. It would be interesting to listen to newer design like the Rotel RB1077 to see what is the state of play with this class D stuff.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

I have experienced a difference when listening to an Audio Research 60w/ch tube amp vs a Parasound 60w/ch ss amp. I discuss the experience, and my thoughts on it back in 2003 here.

EDIT: I preferred the Parasound, even cost no object.
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
          I have experienced a difference when listening to an Audio Research 60w/ch tube amp vs a Parasound 60w/ch ss amp. I discuss the experience, and my thoughts on it back in 2003 here.

I don't doubt you, considering that tube amps and a SS amps are fairly different critters.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

Wow.....2 yes votes? I guess the forum is probably equal opportunity and must allow the hearing impaired in.

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I'm sorry......

The question is vague so anyone that would say yes with such a broad interpretation really must be from another planet.

I mean how could ALL amps sound the same ?

You couldn't possibly be an Audiophile and answer yes.

Comment

• raider
                • Dec 2004

I voted no as they really don't sound the same!!
                And the reason I have this opinion is when my amp is thermally stabilized and in its operating temperature range its smoother (particularly in the high freqs) then when its first turned on (cold)!
                IMHO i think all solid state amps react somewhat the same way but with different results!
                It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Arneson
                  • Jan 2006

Please let me add to your perception of this issue.
                  I voted no firstly, and I admit I am not an audiophile. I can never be.
                  I was the one always right up near the stage at rock concert, often directly in front of sound system.
                  The DB level has knocked my ears into a narrow spectrum.
                  So like that ring tone that only kids can hear, I would never be able to tell any difference of sound quality from any amp.
                  I could see the difference on a scope and monitor the difference with a spectrum analyser, but I would never hear any difference.
                  Jim

Comment

• wolfgang
                    • Jul 2006

Annoying geezer oke: Audiophile

VERY INTERESTING POLL

Comment

• Amfibius
                      • Jul 2006

44 "yes" votes
                      2 "no" votes
                      1 "unsure"

Well I guess that settles it. The majority of this forum think that amplifiers sound different. No more need to debate the subject I think.

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Amfibius
                        44 "yes" votes
                        2 "no" votes
                        1 "unsure"

Well I guess that settles it. The majority of this forum think that amplifiers sound different. No more need to debate the subject I think.
                        Not necessarily. It only addresses the question of ALL amps sounding the same.

By the same token, 2/3 of people taking my poll indicate they have not tried a level-matched, blind test which eliminates many biases about the sound of a component; regardless whether or not they are intentional or unintentional biases.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"