X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonicbaer
    • Jul 2006

what's the important piece for optimum sound

As you may have gathered I'm spanking new in regards to the audio reproduction world...

I've been reading this site regularly as well as some others. There are some sites where bias' certainly prevail.. I do find this site enlightening.. a good reference point and compass to further research.

I have a very basic understanding of electronics and I'm studying as much as time allows regarding audio electronics...not sure why I can't just be satisfied with kicking back and enjoying the music..that's just me..

But I think I will slow down and do just that...just a little

Right now I gather from what I know..the amp is the least important as long as it is of sufficient power and quality construction, the speakers and the source would be the most important..not sure where the pre amp fits in.

Now I will risk exposing my ignorance and ask... if one were to spend upwards of $11,000 for, say a T+A D10 sacd/cd player and $16000,00 for B&W 801D's
    then music reproduction should be pretty damn good even with say a $5,000 amp and preamp..

interconnects and power conditioning my be more important than with my current set up. The logic espoused by some engineers and product manufacturers seems reasonable to me regarding sonic qualities that my ear may detect...regarding noise and interference.

Ok ..that should be a good start..I got the compass spinning, can't wait to see where you guys point me from here..most importantly let's have fun..

Life is too important to be taken seriously..

Michael

oh yah sorry I cut this off earlier ..I tried to start this at work and sometimes I have to respond quickly...to work issues.
    Last edited by sonicbaer; 21 July 2006, 01:38 Friday.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The important "piece" is consistant quality throughout your system at your price level.

Not everybody can afford a $75,000 system so it's important to find quality pieces in your price range and not cheap out anywhere, (the old weak link in the chain ).

Conversely it's usually a waste to have a low priced system with a $7000 processor for example. If your speakers/amps/cables/sources/room etc aren't of high enough quality to take advantage of every last drop of that $7000 pre/pro you wasted your money.
    Jason

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I agree with aud19 100%. It is easy to answer "speakers" but it is just the bad answer if the great detailed speakers only pull out the weekness of the electronics. If you get 10k$ speakers, prepare to get at least the same amount in electronics, etc.

But have fun, this is a hobby

Comment

• megame
        • Nov 2005

IMO room and room setup/speaker placement is the most important part for optimum sound, and also probably the hardest part to acheive.. doubly so if your married

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

Here I have to agree with megame...

...room acoustics....

I think one can have the most expensive equipment, but if the room is not considered first then it gets tough to appreciate the music while it tingles in your mind somewhere that...."...oh, this must sound better.....I paid top dollar for this....; maybe I should buy a "better" (i.e. more expensive) amp."....that could just kill your music enjoyment factor....

At present my "$1k hi-fi" in my bedroom sounds much better (imaging, dynamics, tonal balance, etc..) than the $5k one in the living room.... :roll:
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• BTB
            • Jan 2006

I agree with Jim and aud19...

System "synergy" is paramount. Try to get as good a balance as you can of performance compatible gear (price is usually a good indicator of this compatibility, but I suppose not always), and as I'd imagine you've already picked up, try to listen to each bit of gear you audition in conjunction with the other gear you intend buying to ensure the overall sonic compatibilty of the system, according to your own tastes.

Having said that, I do think that (subjectively speaking) speakers are the biggest choice. Not least of all because they are the most reactive component in the audio chain to specific room conditions, but also (again, a opinion, not stated as "fact") I've heard a change of speakers yield the "most dramatic" transformation to an otherwise evenly matched system. That's not to say that a good source or amp change won't yield improvement, but to my mind speakers are the "biggy".

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jim777
              I agree with aud19 100%. It is easy to answer "speakers" but it is just the bad answer if the great detailed speakers only pull out the weekness of the electronics. If you get 10k$ speakers, prepare to get at least the same amount in electronics, etc.

But have fun, this is a hobby
              I had the hardest time accepting that when I started. Electronics/components are roughly 1/2 the equasion. Expect to spend about the same on them.

Originally posted by megame
              IMO room and room setup/speaker placement is the most important part for optimum sound, and also probably the hardest part to acheive.. doubly so if your married
              LOL! True! WAF is a tough one. I'm just pushing for a music room one day. I think what'll happen is I'll get a home theater room until the kids are gone... then I'll get a music room instead.

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by sonicbaer
                As you may have gathered I'm spanking new in regards to the audio reproduction world...

I've been reading this site regularly as well as some others. There are some sites where bias' certainly prevail.. I do find this site enlightening.. a good reference point and compass to further research.

I have a very basic understanding of electronics and I'm studying as much as time allows regarding audio electronics...not sure why I can't just be satisfied with kicking back and enjoying the music..that's just me..

But I think I will slow down and do just that...just a little

Right now I gather from what I know..the amp is the least important as long as it is of sufficient power and quality construction, the speakers and the source would be the most important..not sure where the pre amp fits in.

Now I will risk exposing my ignorance and ask... if one were to spend upwards of $11,000 for, say a T+A D10 sacd/cd player and $16000,00 for B&W 801D's
                then music reproduction should be pretty damn good even with say a $5,000 amp and preamp..

interconnects and power conditioning my be more important than with my current set up. The logic espoused by some engineers and product manufacturers seems reasonable to me regarding sonic qualities that my ear may detect...regarding noise and interference.

Ok ..that should be a good start..I got the compass spinning, can't wait to see where you guys point me from here..most importantly let's have fun..

Life is too important to be taken seriously..

Michael

oh yah sorry I cut this off earlier ..I tried to start this at work and sometimes I have to respond quickly...to work issues.
                best thing you can do sonic bauer is have a listen to the combination in question for yourself, then vary each component with some thing else to hear the difference. Price is not always a reliable indicator. Personally in the example qouted I'd think you'd need to spend a lot more than $5k on amp and pre-amp to do the speakers mentioned justice and you might just find that you dont need to spend as much as $11k on the source as you have mentioned.

As someone said it is a lot about balance, best have a listen to work out what that is for you.
                Last edited by alebonau; 21 July 2006, 06:29 Friday.
                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I'm with Megame on this one, too.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

I would have to say without a doubt the most important piece in any audio system is the power cable...........
                    B&W

Comment

• sonicbaer
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                      I would have to say without a doubt the most important piece in any audio system is the power cable...........

I think you're Right !!! It's the power cables...went out and got 3 transparenet power cables...LMFAO...you guys are going to think I'm nuts
                      I actually own 3 Transparener power cables..now I'm looking for a power conditioner..

I looked all over town,,no one...no one has a Furman IT Reference 20..I sent them an e-mail and asked if they would send one to Audio FX so I can demo side by side against a Transparent power conditioner...I'll see if Shunyata will do the same with a Hydra 8..the guys at Audio FX can see it in my eyes...the distant stare.... the drooling..they have been great, I can audition stuff all day long there ...'course I've never left there without spending some $$$ ..today was the least I spent so far $400.. if there is an audioholics anonymous.i don't want to know about it...ok?

I am lucky enough to be working about 30 hours a week overtime and it looks like there is no end in sight so...I'm going to keep working to support my damn habit...my new addiction...technology...audio technology...by the end of the year I should have an extra $20K to spend to get my fix...if I'm not dead next year I should have at least that much...for more goodies...so if I'm looking at alll the suggestions you throw at me...I'll be more than happy to report back my opinion/reviews on the equipment I get.

I'm looking at pre amps and cd players...oh ..and speakers..aiming for the B&W 800's may settle for the 802's and build my own someday...

It's all good...have fun and prosper
                      MB

Comment

• KeithM
                        • Oct 2005

It's all in the outlets

But seriously, room acoustics and speaker set-up.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by KeithM
                          It's all in the outlets

But seriously, room acoustics and speaker set-up.
                          Ok outlets it is...LOL..I already have a dedicated line with hospital grade receptacles...maybe I should run 10 gauge wire though...I wonder if Transparent has bulk power cable for house wiring ???

Life is good
                          MB

Comment

• jim777
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                            I agree, remove the power cable and it doesn't sound as good :B

Comment

• comeup
                              • Jul 2005

I've heard a complete two thousand dollar system sound like a 10,000 dollar system at Fry's Electronics in a dedicated theatre room so I would have to say (acoustics)
                              Blake

Comment

• Ade
                                • Jun 2006

Speakers and room acoustics and also the quality of the source material recording.

So those three can have the biggest effect on what you hear but which of those has the most beneficial/detrimental effect will depend on the particular room, speakers and recording.

Electronics and cabling are all much alike once you reach a reasonable quality - and no, I don't mean everything > $5000 - but even el-cheapo electronics have a minimal impact on the sound as a whole compared to the others (assuming of course that there is enough power to drive the speakers).

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Source material and speakers.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                                    Source material and speakers.

I experienced that the first day...some of my favorite that sounded as good (or bad) on my el dirt cheapo system now sound very poor.. :cry:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Headphones get my vote!

Forget about room treatment, power cables, subwoofers etc. Just rock out with a set of headphones.
                                      No need to worry about upgrading the wiring in your house, measure distances from listening position etc...

This kid knows what its all about!!

B&W

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"