X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

A First Configuration with the Pronto TSU-7000; Some Thoughts

HI All,
    Being a new owner of a Philips Pronto TSU-7000 remote, I can't help but be fascinated by its capabilities. Really, it's quite an amazing gadget. And useful too.

I have recently finished my first full configuration for my eight remote system. It's not artistic and maybe not even as functional as it could be. I'm still tweaking it for best performance. But it works great even as it stands. I must confess, I'm in love with this stupid machine.

If you have programmed computers at the object level, you will be a bit (pun 8) ) puzzled, I predict. The TSU-7000 is programmed in a quasi-object oriented language. The two object types that are available are buttons and panels. Panels are simple and are used for information presentation so you can annotate screen features. The real action is with the buttons. They are objects to which you give (they contain) properties. There are a very limited number of properties available for use. It's all kept very simple. With these limited number of tools, I have replaced eight remotes with elegant operation.

The language permits no logic to be performed. Neither can you save states and act upon them. There are no equivalents of case statements. I found these limitations frustrating because there were obvious times where they would be valuable. Even so, the provided operations are sufficient to solve the problems of controlling a system.

I have read that the provided software is not user friendly. Just like any software package, it must be learned and there is a learning curve. But once up to speed, I found the software to be easy to use and very flexible. If you make a mistake or you just want to change something, changes are very easy. It inspires one to be creative and not have to pay a large price for a screw-up. All in all, I think Philips found a nice balance between ease of use and functionality. Nice job.

The real challenge, beyond learning the language, is designing your personal interface. I found the most functional interface architecture is not obvious. There is so much flexibility that you really can do anything. You must figure out how you want your personal interface to work and then be very systematic in your implementation. When I was finished (will I ever be finished?) I went back and completely redesigned the first couple of remote interfaces I did so they were consistent with the later ones which had the benefit of learning what was possible.

Currently, I'm programming macros to give single button, activity based system control. Full automation with my mix of equipment is not possible because of toggle based controls and scrolling menus. Even with these limitations, the macros are proving to be valuable.

Finally, I come to my question. On Remote Central, Daniel Tonks, who runs the site, very recently has made his "ultimate" TSU-7000 configuration available for downloading. It can be then be downloaded into our personal TSU-7000 for exploration or run on the simulator.

His configuration is awe inspiring. It is a huge configuration. The time required to do all that work is almost beyond imagination. Thank you Daniel for making all your work available to us. I don't know if it represents his actual domestic situation or if it is a demonstration of the outer limits of what can be done with this amazing machine. Everything is custom designed graphics. Buttons, screens, backgrounds, colors, you name it. Nothing is from the stock gallery.

Have any of you downloaded his configuration? If not, I suggest you do so. It's easy and fascinating. It can be found here. The link works; I tested it. Once there, scroll to bottom of the page to find the download link.

After you have explored his configuration, I would appreciate you coming back to this thread and telling us what you think. In my view, Daniel has provided a valuable text book on the TSU-7000. I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks, Sparky
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"