X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lehnok
    • Jul 2023

Seeking Woofer Suggestions for Accuton C50 and SS R2904/7000 Setup

Greetings everyone,

I'm relatively new to the audio hobby and recently acquired the Accuton C50 and SS R2904/7000. Given my limited knowledge, I'm in search of recommendations for a suitable woofer to complement these components. Any fellow audio enthusiasts out there with recommendations or perhaps a project I could draw inspiration from? This is my first post, but I've been an avid lurker in the community.

Cheers,
    Lehnok
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Not knowing how much information you have about these drivers, you might find the HiFi Compass page for the Accuton mid useful.

The THD measurements at distance of 315 mm and voltage levels from 4 Volt to 11.2 Volt were carried out with High Pass Filter "on" (2nd order Butterworth type, 500 Hz cutoff, HPF2-500)

I've experimented with it in the past, it has a nice top end, but the linear Xmax is under 1mm, so don't run it hard down low. a Crossover point around 750 Hz might be sensible, depending on your SPL targets.

That suggests a woofer or woofers that are fairly pistonic up to 1500Hz or better. On a budget, dual RS180-8 would work well, and with sufficient volume, be able to work below 40Hz at moderate volumes (think larger Natalie P configurations). Above that price range, one might consider the Wavecor SW223, but they're expensive these days and hard to get. My favorite general purpose woofer of late has become the Dayton RSS210HF-10, because it is fairly linear, goes pretty low in smaller enclosures, and has a very clean stiff cone and surround up to the first breakup mode above 4 kHz. The main "drawback" to this driver is the low sensitivity - there is no getting around Hoffman's Iron law if you want frequency extension in a small cabinet. It is nominally a subwoofer, but it has a midrange behavior rivaling many woofers and some midranges!

Of course, an inline 4.7kHz notch filter is recommended to suppress that peak, and cut resonant amplification of distortion products.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RSS210HF QNF.png Views:	0 Size:	150.8 KB ID:	951021

You may also want to review DaveFred's test series of 8" woofers.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Reet
      • Dec 2007

Please provide a bit more detail on what you want to build. Big Tower, smaller compact size? Active or passive filters? Use with subwoofer or without? etc.

Being that you are using some pricey drivers, you can look at Scan Revelator woofers, or Satori WO24, or Wavecor WF223. Bring the woofer size down to 7" and you have even more options, Illuminator 18WU? Purifi?
      Last edited by Reet; 05 February 2024, 18:21 Monday.
      https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Yes selecting woofers may be the fun part, but the important part is actually how big (or small) your cabinet needs to be. This has relevant because it is a factor in how deep in the bass, and how dynamic you want to go. Some of us have more speakers than rooms, so if you give us some ideas about your room and what you typically listen to, we can also give some rough guidance on what might be a good start.

Sometimes a cardboard mockup may be useful.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"