X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

A rambling discussion of what's important in DIY

Please forgive the rambling nature of this post, a bit to much riesling tonight but I just wanted to start a light-hearted, non-contentious thread for musings on what's important in audio DIY (if such a thing is possible )

I find myself these days focusing much less on the "end all be all" of audio systems, focusing more on the art of loudspeaker and audio design itself. So many options, so many legitimate ways of doing things, all with different goals in mind. Cost effectiveness is rarely a consideration for me, save for the uber-expensive stuff. Price differences between say an RS180 or an L18 or the Usher woofers is of little importance to me, rather I see the art of integrating things, even simple things, as much of the appeal for me. I read endless threads about gigantic 15" ported subs that have been built over and over; and while they are certainly a good starting point and first project all I see is them being built over and over. Few seem to tackle, and I'm guilty of this for many years, of striving to expand what they can do from an experiential and even tinkering aspect, cost and performance be damned, so long as the result is pleasurable in some way, even if it is only in a feeling of accomplishment. For instance, I recently built a 10" passive radiator sub using Peerless XXLS stuff. The cost was astronomical compared to the performance, but I at least now can say that I've done a small PR sub and have learned what they can do, what they can't, what type of systems they are appropriate for, and how enjoyable such an on-paper limited design can be. I find myself focusing much less on <25Hz response, maybe perhaps because of the music I listen to or the volumes I listen at. In a similar vein I've started working on a small linkwitz transform sub, just a simple RS315HF in an overly small box (Qtc of .9 or so, I just made sure to underside the box to give the transform circuit something to do - I'll measure it later). I don't expect any sort of stellar low frequency distortion results, but I might be surprised, and I might learn something more of circuit design and electronics in general. I might even make a few bare bones PCB's available to others since the marginal cost of additional boards is so low. One of the things I regret most about posting in forums like these is that only a few individuals have real experience in these areas - and I certainly don't being a neophyte in the area of electronics- but reading pages such as Rod Elliot's ESP articles yields so much information that I wish were discussed more here. Perhaps this is a simpler forum, a place for DIY'ers to get started, or for people with no interest beyond loudspeaker construction and design in a conventional sense (and that's certainly not a knock, as such forums are always needed and that's in fact how I got started on my path so many years ago on the HTF DIY & Advanced Topics forum, learning from 'ol Tom Vodhanel himself when he had quad Hsu woofers in a big tube parked on top of his ATV's). And it's not like advanced topics aren't discussed, such as the dipole projects here, but it always seems acoustics and loudspeaker related.

Perhaps I should migrate to Nelson's DIYaudio.com, but such a large forum with folks I'm not familiar with isn't terribly appealing. I like the comradery here, and I like the people. Perhaps I should spearhead some projects like my LT board and make them available to people who want to experiment; I've certainly the tools at my disposal at work (which they actually encourage us to use for our own projects - helps out with the meager compensation )

I'm exposed to such diverse electronics work in my job, but none is audio or hardly even analog related - mostly simple control systems with the odd mad scientist project (just last week I got my 200ns pulse generator with a 2.5kHz repetition rate working at 6.5kW per pulse into a resistive load - with no smoke! ) (my nickname at work is 'smokey' by the way) but even something as simple as a well-engineered linear power supply I have no experience with. It's a ridiculous dichotomy. I understand theory but little application. So much of electronics beyond the textbooks is experiential - I find myself learning more from data sheets and EDN series texts while my college texts are near useless.

In any case, I guess I'm just jaded or my interests have changed from pursuing the 'latest and greatest' and find more enjoyment in the learning behind the designs. Doing things out of the ordinary, even at a cost of performance of lower cost, just to learn something. That pulse generator I made initially consisted of a microcontroller, RS232 interface, a complex computer controlled delay generation system, and the damned thing never worked. The final design, which I'm quite proud of, is a 555 timer, a delay line, a 7400 quad NAND, and a simple galvanic isolator to protect the circuitry from the HV side of things. Works beautifully.

In any case, I hope to expand what work I've done in the past in ending my hiatus in audio projects given the time that my work and personal life allows. If anyone here is interested in such things, not critically but in more an experimental sense, I'd like to converse with you here on the forums. Maybe we could help others to realize how simple some of these things really are, and use our skills and available tools to help them get involved in them.

In any case, the Oscars are on, and I'm getting a bit snoozy. Hope this comes across as it was intended,

Mark
    Last edited by Amphiprion; 26 February 2007, 08:22 Monday.
  • hdspeakerman
    • Jan 2007

What is important in DIY?

All my life I wanted to build speakers. Now I am trying to learn how they work and would like to be able to design my own crossovers and measure my own creations. It seems as though there are an endless number of possible combinations and i just want to find the right one for me. I like it that each speaker/design is almost like a snowflake in its uniqueness. I love it when a new person comes on the forum and buys 2 or 3 drivers and wants to put them together without realizing what goes into the mix. I have learned so much from the generous people here and on most all the forums I frequent. It has added something to my life and I want to keep learning.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

eww, riesling?!

I'm into the DIY audio stuff for fun. It brings together a lot of things I enjoy, have always enjoyed. The biggest downside is I don't know enough to satisfy myself. And I don't have the time/money to really invest in it freely - maybe when we've cleared out the mortgage, my student loans are gone... maybe not. Probably not. And that's ok.

DIYAudio attracts some smart folks, and it attracts some zealouts.

I'm still plugging away at various amplifier experiments. Just got a variant on one of Nelson's DIY offerings "done" as much as it can be (pre). I think this variant has noise issues it can't resolve, not sure. Hum above half volume. And that is with the attenuator after the pre.

but yeah... it's about the fun.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Nice thoughts and comments, Mark.

Someday I'd like to see HT Guide branch out more into the electronics side- it's something I've usually been active in since the early 70's, but I've got a few speaker projects to finish before I go back to my "AragonX" projects, which is a complete heatsink rebuild of standard Aragon channel modules (as used in 8008, 8004, and Palladium), with a variety of power supply tweaks. It's up to Gen II, with a Gen III on the board with the new bias track transistors from On Semi.

I've spent some time on DIY Audio, but it's a weird bunch at times; they ran off Charles Hansen, and I don't see John Curl over there in a while, either.

There's quite a few guys over there that figure they have things all figured out, so don't confuse them with the facts. It's weired, because overall it seems a more opinionated bunch than for speaker building, which is probably more subjective and open to interpretation about what are the necessary and important goals, and what path to get from point A to point B. The last DIY electronics project I did was my electronic crossover for the X1 clones (sort an ASP, as SL would call things like that).

(eye test- see if you can read the component values! This is one channel, not showing the output transformers or power supply.

More opamps than I would like, but this is a project from over 10 years ago- used high power video buffers for the cable drivers, with BB 2604's. If I wanted to biamp the Isiris I could adapt this to it, but I don't think that will be necessary...

Looking forward to spending some time on electronics next year.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I started into DIY not quite a year an a half ago and it has been a blast! I have been a DIYer in other areas in the past, for example I'm also a custom golf clubmaker, which is quite similar, in that you can buy the components from hundreds of choices and try to build and fit the club to a persons specific needs and wants. I have found Audio DIY is a little more expensive (not by much though) but more satisfying overall.

One of the huge challenges, if you have no EE background, is all of the learning. You simply can't just read about it and understand much. You have to also try things, build things, test things, and sort of slowly absorb what you can, then go back and research, reread to pick up more etc. of what you already read at least once before, but never absorbed.

One thing I have found fascinating is what you can do with the same, or very similar drivers, to get much different performance. I started with a standard 2.5way box MTM with RS180's and RS28. I built a pair of sealed 12" subs as stands for these. Then I moved to an open baffle MTM (NaO Mini's), using Vifa XG-18 and Seas 27TDFC. They set on the same subs, but now the subs were controlled and extended using an active crossover, designed by John K., probably what others would call a Linkwitz transform, though John didn't refer to them that way. They were much better integrated with the MTM's as a result, which have an active crossover for the diople roll off, but passive for the MTM section.

Then I took the same drivers used in the original MTM and subs (as well as the LP active from the NaO's) and designed and built the Mentor omnidirectional speakers. It is fascinating how completely different these all sound in the same room and that such different results can be had from the same or very similar drivers! I have found that to be an interesting challenge, how to improve the sound using the same basic components, but arranged and filtered differently. Up next is probably to go to a pro amp for the subs in the omni's and replicate the LT as well as EQ the subs with the DEQ2496.
          Dan N.

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Amphiprion
            One of the things I regret most about posting in forums like these is that only a few individuals have real experience in these areas - and I certainly don't being a neophyte in the area of electronics- but reading pages such as Rod Elliot's ESP articles yields so much information that I wish were discussed more here.
            I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have really enjoyed the projects Thomas did concerning Balanced Power and AC power line filtering. Little electronic tips and tricks.

Perhaps I should migrate to Nelson's DIYaudio.com, but such a large forum with folks I'm not familiar with isn't terribly appealing. I like the comradery here, and I like the people. Perhaps I should spearhead some projects like my LT board and make them available to people who want to experiment; I've certainly the tools at my disposal at work (which they actually encourage us to use for our own projects - helps out with the meager compensation )
            I have several 'electronic' based projects I having been working on lately that I want to share also.

I understand theory but little application. So much of electronics beyond the textbooks is experiential - I find myself learning more from data sheets and EDN series texts while my college texts are near useless.
            I've been in electronics for over 20 some odd years and understand more 'seat of the pants' and less theory.

In any case, I hope to expand what work I've done in the past in ending my hiatus in audio projects given the time that my work and personal life allows. If anyone here is interested in such things, not critically but in more an experimental sense, I'd like to converse with you here on the forums. Maybe we could help others to realize how simple some of these things really are, and use our skills and available tools to help them get involved in them.
            Perhaps we could start a 'Mission Electronic' sub forum?

I have been building a unit that incorporates 1) Phase control 0-360 degreees, 2) Hi Pass filter adjustable from 8 to 20 HZ 24 db/octave roll off, and 3) unbalanced -10 to +4 balance line driver aimed for subwoofer control. Estimated cost to be under $50.00 without power supply. We are working on gettting printed circuit boards screened which would be available at cost for people that are interested and putting a step by step how-to.

I am also getting ready to build a 2 channel parametric EQ specifically aimed at less than 20 Hz frequencies. There is some debate as to whether this is worth it in the grand scheme of things but I am going to do it anyway just for the fun and to see if it works!

Over the weekend I built 3.5 kw resistive load bank so I could test power amplifiers and see if the specs they claim are true. So far they are not, but more on that later.

I would love to build/improve upon Jon's active crossover just for the hell of it.

Anyway, now I am rambling. I like the people here and the old school/common sense thought that is prevalent here. I know hwat you mean about some o the other sites mentioned. So................. make it happen, Mark! :T There are others out here like you.

Chuck

Comment

• crackyflipside
              • Nov 2006

Yeah Chuck, I'm looking forward to your amplifier test results.

So the H@LF box is going to be around $50 to build, very interesting.

What draws me to DIY is the array of projects you can do. If you love Dipoles you can build them at just about any price point... same thing with line-arrays and the much loved gorilla coffins.
              -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• mmoeller
                • May 2006

I got into DIY to take over the world... but I'm broke.

Comment

• JoshK
                  • Mar 2005

Electronics diy is my other hobby. Tube circuits to be more specific, at least that is where I focus most of my efforts lately. I don't believe they are better than all other things, just a fun place to start (the irony being that they are more dangerous).

I'd really like to build a hybrid amp sometime using those bias track On Semi transistors. John Broskie wrote about such an application in his blog. I am an avid reader of his.

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

Jon, do you have a conceptual or idealized schematic of one of your amp designs? I'd love to have a look at one. Basically, I'd take the full schematic but wouldn't guess you'd have one yet, but a basic idea would be cool.

Comment

• kingpin
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by chasw98

Over the weekend I built 3.5 kw resistive load bank so I could test power amplifiers and see if the specs they claim are true. So far they are not, but more on that later.

Chuck
                      HeHe.
                      That should be an interesting thread when started. :T
                      It should bring all the trolls out of the woodwork. :B

Mike
                      Call me "MIKE"
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• kingpin
                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by dlneubec
                        One of the huge challenges, if you have no EE background, is all of the learning. You simply can't just read about it and understand much. You have to also try things, build things, test things, and sort of slowly absorb what you can, then go back and research, reread to pick up more etc. of what you already read at least once before, but never absorbed.
                        Agree 100% about learning by just reading.
                        I have said it before and will say it again. I have no idea about 95% of the stuff I read here, and I am not embarassed to say so. A lot of people learn by doing not reading and I am one of those.

I would love nothing more than to buy some equipment and take readings of my speakers, but I have no idea where to even start with something like that. To spend a few hundred or thousand dollars to do so doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

I can't wait until the center speaker build though. I am actually quite excited about it, and it may happen sooner than I think. I will attempt to build the crossover as I think soldering 18gauge wires is a lot easier than trying to solder 3-4 10 gauge wires together.

I am a glutton for information, and have learned to love to read about things I am interested in. Problem is learning to absorb the information I am reading.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        To answer the question about what's important in DIY.

-You can build the same thing a million times and learn something new each time. This gives you a sense of accomplishment.
                        -Learning about something you like is addictive and exciting.
                        -Some days things may not go right, but then you have people like the ones on htguide.com who can help you through that.
                        -I don't think I have to mention things like friendships that arise, friendly comradarie, and the support network where somebody is bound to be able to help you.

Mike
                        Call me "MIKE"
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
                        CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
                        CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
                        "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
                        Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• Habs4life
                          • Apr 2006

I really got into the DIY electronics thing after subsrcibing to Audio Amateur back in the late 80's.I learned a lot from it's contributing authors like W Jung, G Galo,N Pass.I built several of the projects including the first Pass Zen amp and bride of Zen preamp.I don't find the new mag Audioxpress nearly as appealing.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"