X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmlmd
    • Jan 2006

Best way to add multiple HDMI devices using RSX-1056

Hi Everyone. I am not quite a noob, but know just enough to be dangerous, so am seeking your help...

I am looking for the best way to combine HDMI video with the best audio quality that I can using my older components. I have an RSX-1056 receiver which I love, despite its lack of HDMI ports. I also have a Samsung DLP TV with only 1 HDMI and 1 DVI port. I would like to add an HDMI splitter box (Monoprice) in order to add a new Apple TV to my TivoHD (which is currently using the HDMI port on my TV and is connected to the Rotel via optical in) and to have more flexibility for adding other stuff in the future. I also have an OPPO 971H DVD player (connected to TV via DVI and to the Rotel via a coax input). The only possible major upgrade I might make in the forseeable future is replacing the OPPO DVD player with the OPPO BDP-93, but probably no time soon.

My first question is whether to just get a plain HDMI switcher box and leave the audio routed as it currently is, or whether to get an HDMI switcher that also has a TOSlink out and route all of the audio through the one cable.

My second question involves the best way to connect the DVD player to the 1056. The OPPO has multichannel analog outs that I am not currently using. I know that if I had the OPPO Blue Ray player, using the multichannel output would allow me to take advantage of the newer HD sound formats--Is there any advantage to doing this now with my DVD player?

Thanks for any input.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Do not use the analog multi outs on the Oppo dvd (Unless you need SACD and DVD audio playback). I have the same one and the audio is not great. Let the Rotel decode the sound out of the Oppo via the coax. Other than that, I would get a HDMI switcher personally. When you get the Oppo BD player, THEN you can connect the analog out's the the Rotel and get the hi def codecs (ie..DTS-HD).
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• rmlmd
      • Jan 2006

Thanks, madmac, that is very helpful!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"