X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles
    • Jul 2006

Interesting discovery on DVD interconnect

I have an Oppo 971H DVD cabled directly to my TV via a DVI cable which has been this way for over a year. No complaints with PQ up to this point. I decided I would like to have pre/pro OSD which is available through component connections on my Krell showcase processor. I added a set of cables keeping the DVI hooked up so I could compare the video between DVI and component.

Up to this point I read where DVI/HDMI is the only way to go for best PQ so I never even tried component. Now with both hookups in place I can switch from DVI to component with a button. I was expecting the component to have some degregation, but I would have OSD (for volume) and maybe I could live with it. You know by now where I'm going, I can't explain it, but component has slightly better detail and much better color. Overall a much better picture. Maybe this is because the processor is doing something magic, I give up but very happy. Any ideas why this goes against everything I read about DVI/HDMI/upscaling?
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

When I tried this, I found that for some sources (and some movies) component did indeed deliver a subjectively superior picture. This wasn't due to magic, but instead due to the inherent softness/smoothing of component covering up some flaws in the scaled image, and delivering a more pleasing overall picture. Color issues were also noted due to display device settings changing between video and computer level signals, but calibrated, both were equally fine. For pristine hi-def sources, digital takes the crown.

Use whatever looks best to you, since you're the one who has to look at it. Check it again when you get non-upscaled sources, as your preferences may change.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

It all depends on the output of your source and input of your display, not to mentione their respective scaling abilities etc. A cheap HDMI in or out compared to a quality component in or out won't look as good regardless of being digital. Same with the scaler. If your source does crappy scaling over it's HDMI output and your display does excellent scaling of 480i/p it will look better.

There's no magic to a particular cable format
      Jason

Comment

• Charles
        • Jul 2006

I've now watched 4 movies through the component out, spot checking throughout. The component is definitley better so far in each case with my set up. As for the quality of the source, the Oppo is well known for it's PQ so I would think it's HDMI/digital signal would be Ok. The TV is a 2 year old Sony XBR which was top of the line then, so I would hope it to be of acceptable quality. Could this upgrade in PQ be due to a better/hotter signal level being sent by the pre/pro. The picture detail is better and the colors are deeper. The close ups look slightly more blurred on DVI and the colors appear like the film has some age to it. Again I was really happy and had several positive comments from friends on the "best picture they have seen" I'm not concerned, just curious and will do more watching over the next week. I feel like I just got a freebie at this point!! If you havn't tried this, it may be worth your time. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"