X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chachi
    • Mar 2003

Rotel RSP1068 & Pink Floyd Pulse 'high bitstream' track

Bit confused maybe someone else can shed more insight ... I recently emailed Rotel Europe asking if the RSP-1068 would accept/play the 640Kbps DD 'high bitstream' audiotrack or not via optical, and they replied as follows:

"Dolby specify that all standard DVD's with a 'Dolby Digital' track have to be encoded to provide 448Kbps. AC-3 standard maximum data rate is 640 kbit/s, however for standard DVDs the maximum data rate is 448 kbit/s. Some players can play higher-rate bitstreams but they are non-compliant with the standard DVD specification. You can try playing this disc with the higher data rate but the RSP-1068 is only able to decode 448 Kbps 'Dolby Digital' "

My testing, using an Oppo 971H and/or Onkyo DV939 as transports:

The Onkyo passes the 448Kbps track cleanly and Rotel plays it, but the Onkyo refuses to pass/play the higher bitstream track 2 and the Rotel sees nothing.

The Oppo passes the 448Kbps track cleanly and Rotel plays it, the Oppo passes the 640Kbps track cleanly and the Rotel also outputs audio again.

Perhaps the chipset is more forgiving than Rotel realise ?
    Links: My DVD Collection
    Video: Sagem 56" HD RPTV, Oppo BD-83
    Audio: Rotel RSP-1069, RDD-980, 2x RB-1070, RB-993
    Spkrs: Wharfedale Pi-30s x2, Pi-Centre, Si-Fi Orbs x2, BK XLS-200 subs x2
  • sprout
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by chachi

The Onkyo passes the 448Kbps track cleanly and Rotel plays it, but the Onkyo refuses to pass/play the higher bitstream track 2 and the Rotel sees nothing.

The Oppo passes the 448Kbps track cleanly and Rotel plays it, the Oppo passes the 640Kbps track cleanly and the Rotel also outputs audio again.

Perhaps the chipset is more forgiving than Rotel realise ?
    Perhaps the Oppo is downconverting before outputting?

sprout

Comment

• chachi
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sprout
      Perhaps the Oppo is downconverting before outputting? sprout
      I wondered that as well so I asked Oppo specifically, and they swear that if I am selecting the 640Kbps track, then that is what it is passing via optical

Comment

• wb2fcr
        • Dec 2005

chachi

Does the Rotel display 640 when you play the disk?

I have a Denon DVD-2900 and it won't play the 640 kbps track - no audio.

When I play the 640 kbps track on my cheap Panasonic DVDR, I get audio but the Rotel display still says 448.

So I'm assuming that means the Rotel doesn't reconize the 640 kpbs track and is outputting the audio at 448 kbps ?
        Dave

Comment

• sprout
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by wb2fcr
          chachi

Does the Rotel display 640 when you play the disk?

I have a Denon DVD-2900 and it won't play the 640 kbps track - no audio.

When I play the 640 kbps track on my cheap Panasonic DVDR, I get audio but the Rotel display still says 448.

So I'm assuming that means the Rotel doesn't reconize the 640 kpbs track and is outputting the audio at 448 kbps ?
          mmm! well I suppose that just points to the Rotel accepting the 640 but downconverting to give an output?

sprout

Comment

• chachi
            • Mar 2003

Have to check, didn't have the monitor display connected when I tested it the other day. ops:

Comment

• Audiophiliac
              • Apr 2006

I am curious about this now too. I bought the DVD but havent played it yet. I dont even have surround sound at home. So I may go into the shop (where I work) and try playing it on all our Denon, Marantz, Rotel, Classe, Krell players and all receivers/processors, and see what I can come up with.

Keep posted. It might not be until after work monday or something before I get around to it.

Comment

• Ferry
                • May 2003

PULSE plays on a Sony 930 DVD player with the Rotel 1098 in 640 kb/s fine! :T

Comment

• chachi
                  • Mar 2003

I have a sneaking suspicion the 1068 is playing it just fine, but I need to dig out the manuals for it -- I dont use the monitor out or rotel remote and don't recall what buttons/etc do what and how to get it to show the bitstream details :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"