X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Outdoor Speakers

Hello. I installed my Polk Audio Atrium 45 Outdoor speakers over the weekend. They sound great. My question pertains to their ( or any other outdoor speaker) weatherproof-ness.

The installation instructions suggest that they still have some sort of protection if possible. Under a roof eave, etc. Well, I have them on my brick wall and will be putting a small wooden roof above them for some protection. But of course, I didnt get to finish the roof before we got a big downpour yesterday.

For those that have outdoor speakers, - are they protected or just out in the open? How have they held up to the elements?

I also did not immediately turn them off while it was raining. Can they safely play in the rain? Should they dry out before using them again?

Thanks for your input.
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

It probably depends on the speaker. My Niles outdoor speakers don't have much protection, a slight overhang, but it is very high up. I would follow the suggestions in the manual for your speakers...

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I have a pair of Infinity outdoor speakers, which I have owned for a couple of years without any outdoor protection, except the eave. However, they have faced the Northwest winds, and seem to have held up well. They still sound good, without being covered, of course YMMV.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

We've had a pair of atrium's hanging verticle out in the open on a brick wall for about 4 years now with no issues.. Plus Polk is real good on warranties, we don't even have to send them in, we just order drivers as needed.

Plus we've never actually had to replace an Atrium driver any way.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gross30
          • Jun 2005

I also run a set of Infinity outdoor speakers in Southern Alberta, and the winters are pretty harsh. The only protection they have is that they are mounted under eaves. I leave them out all year and have not had a problem with them. They have been hanging for 4 years now without issue. dg

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

B&W WM6's

I have a pair of B&W WM6's out in the open on a brick wall by our patio. They sound great even after some rough Michigan weather. I have no protection on them. I know someone who has the predecessor to the WM6's for about 8 years with no issues.

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

Thanks for all of your replies. Makes me think that perhaps I shouldnt install my little wooden roof protector. ? I like the way they look on the wall without anything above them. I am of course taking them down before our brutal Chicago winters arrive!
              Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

My back patio speakers are JBL, and I installed them under a 12-18" overhang, so they're protected from the most direct downpours. They've lasted me 3.5 years now and are doing fine. Today I noticed that they have little yellowed spots on them, not sure if it's just age, or water spots, or what.

I would say no problem using them in the rain, unless they're super-cheap speakers or not really made for outdoors.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• DavidB
                  • Jan 2006

I have a set of Bose Freespace speakers. They are very durable and designed to be left outside...which is a good job because mine are buried. They do a fantastic job.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"