X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phuz
    • Jan 2003

Multi Speakers - Digital Sources

I have an RSX-1056. Love it. Right now I'm just doing 2.1 in my main room, have the rear channels hooked up to my outdoor speakers, and only turn them on in 5Ch stereo mode when I want music in my back yard.

I plan on installing some in ceiling rear speakers to give me 4.1, and eventually 5.1 when and if I decide to add a center speaker in my main room.

The problem is, I'll loose my outdoor speakers when I do this.

Zone 2 is not an option, because all of my sources are digital and Zone 2 will not play digital sources.

I do NOT have a need to play different sources or volume levels outside. All I do is play the same source in the main room *and* outside when I'm working/entertaining around the house.

So, zone 2 is out. I can't use both the internal amps of the reciever *and* the pre-outs at the same time. Short of just wiring the speakers in parallel with a hard wired on/off switch for the outdoor speakers, I'm stumped as to how I can get 5.1 in my main room, and have outdoor stereo speakers playing from the same reciever/source on demand.

Ideas?
    ==============
    -phuz
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

Since you are now going to use the rear surround amplifier channels for rear surrounds, you are going to need an additional two channels of amplification for the outdoor speakers.

Originally posted by phuz
    I can't use both the internal amps of the reciever *and* the pre-outs at the same time.
    Why not, assuming you are referring to the L & R Main preouts, not the Zone 2 preouts? And what is the distance between the receiver and where the 2nd amplifier would be?

Steve

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Steve is correct that the front preamp outputs are live all of the time but I wouldn't use them at the same time as the internal amps. You really need some form of additional amplification because no matter what, the volume wouldn't be correct in both areas at the same time. If you are using a separate amp then zone 2 makes the most sense. Just run a stereo pair of analog cables from your sources and you're in business.

Eric

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

There is no electrical reason you can't use the Main preouts to another amplifier while using the internal amplifiers simultaneously, but yes, you would have no independent volume control.

But given you are going to need another amp, what I did for one of my applications was to run an optical cable from the Rotel's digital output to an entry level Pioneer/Yamaha/Fill-In-The-Blank AV receiver with a digital input.

These entry level receivers can be found new for as little as ~$150, or used for ~100. You have a better chance of preserving the signal by running an optical digital cable over a long run than an analog interconnect. I am running a Monoprice Premium (plastic fiber) 35 ft. cable ($10) internally in the house to another bedroom.

For my outdoor speakers, I only need iTunes (and Internet radio), so I am using AirTunes, connecting them wirelessly to my wireless router with an Apple Airport Express.

Steve
        Last edited by srb; 24 February 2010, 00:01 Wednesday.

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

The issue with using the preamp outputs and speaker outputs at the same time is level. If you have a receiver, or an amp with gain controls, it may work (although I wouldn't put two preamps in line like that with a receiver). If the amp didn't have them and you wanted it louder or softer outside than what it was inside? You have no way of controlling that with a typical amp. You are better off using the zone 2 in that case.

Using a receiver with a digital input is a good idea and would work better than the preamp outputs for the front channels. You could just as easily use the zone 2 output as well.

Eric

Comment

• phuz
            • Jan 2003

I don't mind having the same volume level/control for both environments as long as I have a way to turn off the outdoor speakers when not in use. The problem is that as I understand it, zone 2 can not use digital sources. In this particular system, all of my sources are digital and will stay that way.

I thought that when using the preamp outs, the internal amplified outputs for that channel were disabled unless used for zone 2? I could be wrong. I'll try it again and see. If I can use both the preamp outs and powered outputs for the front channel, I could just use a second amp for the outdoor speakers, and use that amplifiers on/off to control when the outdoor speakers are used.
            ==============
            -phuz

Comment

• phuz
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by srb

For my outdoor speakers, I only need iTunes (and Internet radio), so I am using AirTunes, connecting them wirelessly to my wireless router with an Apple Airport Express.

Steve
              This is what I'm doing. I use airtunes with two systems. Are you saying you have a completely seperate system/reciever for outdoors? That is an option, but I'd prefer to use my Rotel as the control if possible. I actually don't want a seperate volume control, unless I put one outside.
              ==============
              -phuz

Comment

• srb
                • Oct 2004

The problem is that as I understand it, zone 2 can not use digital sources..
                That is correct.

I thought that when using the preamp outs, the internal amplified outputs for that channel were disabled unless used for zone 2? I could be wrong. I'll try it again and see.
                I think they are both available.

Are you saying you have a completely seperate system/reciever for outdoors?
                Yes. I have an outside utility room off of the patio where the Airport Express and a small, inexpensive integrated amp is located (Scythe SDA-1100 Kama Bay AMP Kro).
                scythe-usa.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, scythe-usa.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

We've delivered quality products at unbeatable prices since 2000, Our merchandise ranges from consumer electronics, security, home, computer components, to children goods.

The AE is next to the amp connected with a short 1/8" to RCA cable. The amp is small (it does have a small external power supply brick, but the amp itself is only about 6" X 4.5" X 1.5"), efficient, and I do like having a local independent volume control which does get varied depending on the activity and time of day/night.

Steve
                Last edited by srb; 24 February 2010, 13:13 Wednesday.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

I don't mind having the same volume level/control for both environments as long as I have a way to turn off the outdoor speakers when not in use. The problem is that as I understand it, zone 2 can not use digital sources. In this particular system, all of my sources are digital and will stay that way.
                  What if it's the other way around and you want the outdoor speakers on and not the ones inside? What if you want it a little louder outside than the current volume inside? If you use a power amp and connect it to the front preamp outputs you can't do either of those.

You are correct that digital inputs are not available for zone 2 but don't the sources have analog outputs as well? If they do, just hook them up in addition to the digital outputs. The analog connections don't have to be used for anything except zone 2.

I thought that when using the preamp outs, the internal amplified outputs for that channel were disabled unless used for zone 2? I could be wrong. I'll try it again and see. If I can use both the preamp outs and powered outputs for the front channel, I could just use a second amp for the outdoor speakers, and use that amplifiers on/off to control when the outdoor speakers are used.
                  The preamp outputs are live all of the time regardless if you are using the internal amps or not.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"