X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianpa
    • Apr 2006

Looking for a new SUB

I have a 1066, 1075, a Rotel tunner, and a Marantz CD and DVD player. I want to up grade my speakers. I am starting with the SUB. I have checked out the Martin Logan Desent and a Revel b-15. The two times that I listened to the Revel the sales man did not have the speaker set up correctly. The sales man gave me the take it home and try it line. The Logan sounds plays music great but I am not sure about the movies. I guess I am wondering what speakers other Rotel users are using these days.

Thank you for the help,

Brian
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

Personally, I'd get the largest Velodyne DD model I could afford. Comes in 10", 12", 15" and 18". The servo drive minimizes distortion and the built-in digital room correction minimizes listening room issues.
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• tech_table
      • Jan 2006

As a Velodyne owner, I would say, you should give it a try, if you want a serious sub. I got a DD15 with the rest of my Klipsch, 1068/1095/Arcam DV78 and I'm very happy with what I got, for both music/movie. :T

Comment

• ICEMAN70
        • Apr 2006

If the Budget permits try the Paradigm Servo-15. It is a awsome SUB, but little pricey.

Cheers,

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Brian,
          Welcome to our forum.

Maybe the most important selection criterion for a subwoofer is how well it integrates with your main speakers. This is especially true for music playback. Not all subs will fit with just any 'ol main speaker. Thus, IMO you should select your main speakers first then find the sub that best fits its sonic signature. Selecting them independently is asking for frustration. Yet, this is a common mistake folks make. Don't you make it.

The main reason I chose B&W subs is because I have B&W main speakers. The sonic fit works very well.

Sparky

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

I second the Servo-15. I think for the money, it is hard to beat. That thing goes nasty low and loud.

I also vote for DD, and B&W subs...

My favorite are the Martin Logan Descent and Depth models.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Other options:

Do it Yourself - Lots of bang for the buck
              ACI Maestro
              SVS PB12/Ultra 2

The Ultra 2 is comparable to the DD18 and the Servo 15v2. The v1 gets crushed by the Ultra 2 in output. Musically they are a wash IMHO.

If you are in canada, then the SVS route and the ACI route would not be as good of a deal as the Paradigm route.

The Descent is a nice sub. It couldn't play deep enough and loud enough to satisfy my HT needs. I have a big room and usually listen -10 below reference or higher(up to 0) so I tend to apply the stress to subs if they are inadequate at low, loud and low distortion bass.

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

I'd check this thread brianpa theres some good discussion there

I'd second the DD range. Though was not able to compare with the svs or the paradigm to say its any better or worse.
                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• gross30
                  • Jun 2005

As another Velodyne owner recently, I am using (2) DD 15'S and they integrated nicely with my older B&W S3 matrix mains. Very easy to set up, and easily switches from music to ht or a setting you desire with remote control. A close freind has (2) paradigm servo 15's and they sound great also. You will definately not go wrong with any of the subs mentioned in this thread, as they are all great products. I.M.H.O.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brian
                    The sales man gave me the take it home and try it line.
                    That's no line. Having a dealer that encourages you to take a component home to evaluate is a BIG bonus. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS! It'll help insure that you are happy with your purchase.

FWIW, I'm a Velodyne owner (FSR-15) and strongly encourage you to look into the DD series. They are awesome.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

I'm a pretty big fan of REL subs.

Comment

• Tom Vodhanel
                        • Sep 2000

>>>That's no line. Having a dealer that encourages you to take a component home to evaluate is a BIG bonus. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS! It'll help insure that you are happy with your purchase.<<<

Yes, definitely. Subwoofer performance is largely determined by the room environment and the placement of the subwoofer in the room. So what you hear from the subwoofer at the dealer...may or may not accurately reflect the type of performance it will offer in your own room.

Tom V.
                        SVS

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I'll put in a second recommendation to look at SVS. SVS gives you a money-back guarantee with your shipment, so you'll be able to try out the subs in your particular room, which you state is important. Their customer service is top-notch, and you can't beat their products' performances, especially for the price they charge. And the performance charts and specs right on their website, so you can see how they've been tested to perform. I have two of their high-end cylinder models, the PC-Ultra. For some reason, I swear that those things continue to improve with age, giving better and better performance.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Vinny
                            • Mar 2006

One more vote to SVS :T . I have my box(12ISD/V) with me for a while and like Chris said the sensitivity of the sub is increasing over time(so as the volume). Have no complain on their service and build quality. Only low side would be take some serious labor force to get it in position(unlike sunfire super jr, they are not light at all!) But yea that shows the build quality the other way around too(I can say that because I do not have to move it anymore :twisted: )
                            Pioneer KRP-500M
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Parasound 5125
                            Oppo BDP-83
                            Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Vince - that's good to hear. Do you think we're just getting more and more used to our SVS subs and the accuracy they provide? Or do you think our subs are REALLY getting more and more sensitive?

One thing that I know helped mine was EQ-ing my subs using a BFD.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Vinny
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                Vince - that's good to hear. Do you think we're just getting more and more used to our SVS subs and the accuracy they provide? Or do you think our subs are REALLY getting more and more sensitive?

One thing that I know helped mine was EQ-ing my subs using a BFD.
                                It could be get used to but I am not certain on it :B

I personally think it is just the plastic on the driver get loosen over time. As I do listen in low volume most of the time that it usually takes longer time than others to get the whole subwoofer break in. Maybe that would be the cause of increasing sensitivitiy

After all the clarity and the accuracy out of this sub are what I want most :B . I went to a live performance yesterday for Korean trumpets and came back to watch movie and still appreciate my sub could produce against the live show earlier :T
                                Pioneer KRP-500M
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Parasound 5125
                                Oppo BDP-83
                                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"