X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptarmigan
    • Feb 2008

revel or paradigm...help

I need help with my final decision! Over the last two weeks I’ve listened to the following: Paradigm signature s8 and studio 100s, B&W 803D, Thiel 2.4, Dynaudio contour s5.4, PSB Platinum, Definitive 7000 STs, and Revel F52. I’m going to write my full reviews later this week. I’ve narrowed my choices to the following:

Paradigm Signature 5.1 System: S8s as my fronts, S4s as my rears, and a C5 center.
    Revel Performa 5.1 System: F52s as my fronts, F32s as my rears, and a C52 center.

I cannot afford the .1 part at this time, because both system are 2K over my original budget, the sub will have to wait.

The paradigms, B&W, and dynaudios all sounded very similar. Of the three I preferred the paradigms by a slight margin. I felt the definitive speakers were decent in home theater applications, but lacked the fine details of their more expensive competitors. The Revels just had a different sound altogether.

The paradigms had more refined sounding high frequencies. The revels midrange had a tendency to overpower the highs. The revels however, had unlimited power handling. The revels were connected to 500w monoblocks and never flinched when the volume was turned up to deafening levels. The paradigms seem more about beauty and the revels seem more about authority and power. My problem is, I like both! I’m going to go back one more time before deciding. Both systems are being offered at the exact same price, so there’s no cost/performance issues to consider.

What do you guys think about Revel overall as a brand? Has anyone else auditioned the S8s vs. the F52s?
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

The Paradigms are rated at 300 watts RMS-750 watts (without distortion) wouldn't make them flinch. I've auditioned several Revel and Paradigm speakers in the last couple months , and , if you have the floorspace and $20K , the Revel Ultimas are nice. If you have even the tiniest doubt as to either of those qualifiers , I'd go with the S8s. I personally don't hear the Revels competing with the Paradigms on a $ to $ basis. YMMV.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"