X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ski_merlin
    • Apr 2006

Party Speakers

Hey guys,

I posted over at the DIY section b/c I was figuring I could build some speakers cheaper than buying them...but now I'm just trying explore some options. Basically, I'm looking for a pari of speakers that I can hook up to a moderately-priced reciever and crank some tunes during parties for my college townehouse. We just plug in our MP3 player in through a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and we're set to go with our playlist.

Recenetly our buy-it-off-the-shelf RCA boombox unit died, and I'm happy about it b/c that means I can get a better one for next year.

Keep in mind that this isn't a SQ setup like most people are doing on here for their home stereos...this is a system for a small room (no pro-audio) party. I want to keep the price as low as I can, b/c they will most likely get beer and such spilled on them once or twice.

I know it's not what you usually do, but can anyone suggest an ok pair of speakers to maybe use in conjunction with a small powered sub?

Some recievers I was looking at (I know, they're crappy: that's the point).
    Sony STR-DE197
    JVC RX-D201S

So, please just help a guy out and make some suggestions! Thanks in advance everyone.
    ~J
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Cerwin Vega!
    Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Cerwin Vegas always rock!
      B&W

Comment

• ski_merlin
        • Apr 2006

Cool, thanks guys. So Cerwin Vega...anybody have any good places online to find a pair, or two pair maybe.

I'll keep looking myself...

Thanks!
        ~J

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Might want to check out some of the 'assemble your self' speaker kits at PartsExpress.com

also CraigsList.com
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by aud19
            Cerwin Vega!
            You guys are killin' me :rofl:
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ski_merlin
              • Apr 2006

I really thought I was getting some helpful information...guess this forum is just like the rest. I know that Cerwin Vega is really just crap...in car stereo that is. Didn't know anything about how their home stereo drivers were.
              But alas, thanks--to wkhanna only--for your help.

I understand you're just making fun b/c I'm ignorant in this field, but it wouldn't have bothered me if you would have made a serious suggestions afterwards instead of letting me go search around for CV stuff for an hour...only to come back to find out that pompous fools also lurk in home stereo forums, even ones where I thought were reputable. Not a good impression.

Any other good suggestions then let me know, thanks.
              ~J

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

With the exception of the BR-1, I'm not sure that the other kits from PE will be right for your application. The BR-1 are fairly cheap, so if they don't do it for you, no big loss. The other kits are a bit more $$, like $400.

I'm still with the guys on the DIY section, get yourself a pair of pro-audio style speakers. They're loud and should take some abuse. When you're out of the party life and have some spare cash, then upgrade to some Modula MTs or similar and do some serious listening.
                Danish

Comment

• Gump
                  • Sep 2005

DCM FT-12 speakers might be worth checking into. They've got a big 12" woofer and put out lots of boomy bass. Don't know the price, but can't be that bad....you might even be able to get away without needing a sub.

I owned a pair of DCM's about 10 years ago and they were great "party" speakers.

Comment

• Gump
                    • Sep 2005

Well...I checked out a couple of web sites and it was mentioned that the ft-12's are "junk". So, you might want to forget my suggestion. However, if you could find some of the older model DCM's I think they would meet your needs. I'll have to check tomorrow and see what model I owned before.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I would rock Cerwin Vegas in a party room

Had em in my car years back too, my favorite 6x9s ive ever owned (ive had..... 2 doezen or so different pairs)

My 2 vega 12s were the loudest in HS too... ( ops: man i feel like a little thug braggin about his boom, Im over that now )
                      Anyways, i dont know what they cost for home speakers these days, but if the price was right, (used??) and they were gonna be abused, i guess i wouldnt think twice about pickin up a pair.
                      B&W

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Yeah I wasn't actually joking.... CV's are THE party speaker, they're relatively affordable, decently solid build quality and play LOUD/rock hard...they're just not what I'd consider audiophile sound quality. But that's not what you asked for. If you're unwillling or not wanting to go the DIY route a pair of (especially used) CV's will make great party speakers for not much money.
                        Jason

Comment

• Glen B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ski_merlin
                          I really thought I was getting some helpful information...guess this forum is just like the rest. I know that Cerwin Vega is really just crap...in car stereo that is. Didn't know anything about how their home stereo drivers were.
                          But alas, thanks--to wkhanna only--for your help.

I understand you're just making fun b/c I'm ignorant in this field, but it wouldn't have bothered me if you would have made a serious suggestions afterwards instead of letting me go search around for CV stuff for an hour...only to come back to find out that pompous fools also lurk in home stereo forums, even ones where I thought were reputable. Not a good impression.

Any other good suggestions then let me know, thanks.
                          ~J
                          Excuse me ? In my pre high-end days I owned Cerwin-Vega Model D-9's and AT-15s (both 4-ohm 3-way designs with 15-inch woofers). The AT-15s received a very good review by the late Julian Hirsch in Stereo Review magazine. Cerwin-Vegas are excellent for parties as you've already been told. I gave my D-9s to my brother-in-law about 16-18 years ago and he still has them to this day. Alternately, just get some JBL, Peavey, Gem Sound or similar DJ/sound reinforcement speakers and be done with it. Its not like you doing any critical listening.

You can get C-Vs at discount here:

JBL & Peavey at discount here:
                          Get the guaranteed lowest prices, largest selection and free shipping on most Keyboards & MIDI at Musician's Friend.

Comment

• ski_merlin
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                            You guys are killin' me :rofl:
                            Well, in that case guys, I politely retract my previous statements. Sorry 'bout that: bad day, plus me thinking you're making fun = not a well thought-out response.

My bad. I did look at some CV floor speakers though...I kinda' wanna' build a pair though...we'll see how everything goes.

~J

Comment

• bulitnv
                              • Mar 2006

I had a pair of CV floor speakers in 1993. They were the version with the 15 inch woofer. I don't recall the model number.

I have to say, not a great choice for casual listening, but I have actually thought of buying a new pair just for those times that sonic reproduction is not as inportant as throwing back some beers and pi$sing off the neighbors.

As said before, great speaker for a party type atmosphere.

Chris

Comment

• Vinny
                                • Mar 2006

For party speakers you do not have many choies out there. Many speakers on the market have many limitation such as placement and appearance. For example, the Klipsch speakers I have are all horn speakers that you won't be able to hear much if you are out of the projection(and you will never know those drunken master in party tilt your speakers without noticing). B&W has unique appearance that I do not think you will want to have it in the party and let others touch your tweeters. For protection I would agree Cerwin Vega is choice for you since they make the speaker to be plain(in terms of appearance, so no one would touch it for curiosity) and have the features you need(high sensitivity, low price, etc.)
                                Pioneer KRP-500M
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Parasound 5125
                                Oppo BDP-83
                                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• bulitnv
                                  • Mar 2006

There is a place in Cypress CA selling the Cerwin Vega PSX-253 Prostax for $599 for the pair. These thing retail for $850 each. Each speaker ia a 3 way with 2 15" subs. I almost bought them just because. I was going to pick them up yesterday, $647.99 OTD. A freaking steal if your looking for party/DJ speakers.

Chris

Comment

• whoaru99
                                    • Jul 2004

That's nearly a good enough deal to jump on even though I DON'T need any more speakers!!

Those would be fun out in the back yard BBQ...
                                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

I used to own a pair of black AT-10's....not the most accurate or with the best imaging etc but man they ROCKED HARD :-y ;b>
                                      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2001

Klipsch or Cerwin Vega. Both are so efficient that a budget receiver will not break a sweat driving them.

Comment

• mdrew
                                          • Feb 2006

How much are looking to spend?

Axiom has some great sounding bookshelves. Through in an Outaw sub, HK 3480 two channel reciever and you'd be rocking.

You can buy from Axiom's factory outlet store and get 10% off.

You can buy the HK at One Call for $260. http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...=true&id=22121

Outlaw subs....

I have the Outlaw LF1, and it's a great sub. I've also got a set of Axiom M3's, M22's, and M80's. All great speakers. The M3's are surprising "big" for such a small speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"