X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

RCA to XLR

I have just run in my Bryston 7B SST monoblocks now for about 250 hours so they should be settled.

I was driving these from my TAG McLaren AV32 using RCA to RCA interconnects, but decied to experiment with RCA to XLR balance to see if the sound would be any better.

After replacing the cables I just get a major hum from the speakers now so it's back to RCA to RCA.

Anyone know why this should be?
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

What cables are you using and have a look at the cables themselves, any damage to the XLR cables?
    Try with a different pair. You should actually have a lower noise floor with the XLR cables. Strange.
    I can anly surmise that there could be a problem with those paticular cables.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Also make sure the XLRs are wired correctly. There's a certain way to wire RCAs to XLR so it's correct. I had that info at one time, I'll have to look for it again.

I had Doug at CatCables make me a RCA-to-XLR cable a few years ago and it worked great.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

RCA cables are a 2 wire system (Positive and Negitive). Typical XLR's are a 3 wire system (Positive, Negitive, and a Shield). What people some times have to do is not hook up one of the wires on the XLR. What probably happend is you have the ground and shield connected to the same connection point. (Going from a 3 wire system to a 2 wire plug) You are going to have to cut one of the wires off the back of the XLR. This is provided you can take appart the XLR plug. But that will basically put you back to RCA. Hope that helps. I bet some of the salty guys that know way more than me might have a trick that they know to fix your problem other than what I have said could be the problem. Hopfully they will weigh in and help out. But that is my take on your problem.

Check out the Sponsor of this forum and I bet LEX could make a sweet set of cables for you that would work. 8)
        Snap :T
        Last edited by Snap; 29 April 2005, 08:49 Friday. Reason: For got Something.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Caleb,
          There's a chap out in Cape Town, who I order cables from. He makes them up and ships them out to me. Ask him to make some for you.
          His name is Robert, from Sound Craft. Out in kommietje?
          George.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"