ClearPlay to be used in RCA DVD players...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

ClearPlay to be used in RCA DVD players...

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- People wanting to automatically mute the foul language in "Seabiscuit" or skip the violence in "The Patriot" have a new option -- a DVD player from RCA that filters content deemed objectionable.

Thomson, which owns the RCA brand, will sell the players in some Wal-Mart and Kmart stores as well as on Wal-Mart's Web site starting this month even as the filtering software they employ faces a legal challenge from Hollywood.

"I think there may be a market for something that gives the parent more control and does it in a way that doesn't alter the original presentation," said Dave Arland, an RCA spokesman.

The filtering software is from ClearPlay, which had offered it previously for watching DVDs on computers and began talking to RCA last year about a standalone player.

The partners are hoping the current stir over broadcast decency, spurred by Janet Jackson's breast-baring Super Bowl show, will help boost sales.

"The reality is people have pushed the limit so far, that there are people who want to have that kind of control," Arland said.

The DVD player carries a suggested retail price of $79 and will ship with 100 filters for movies such as "Daredevil" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

Filters for newer releases are available each week through a monthly subscription of $4.95, though getting them into the player is cumbersome. The filters are downloaded over the Internet and burned onto a CD for transfer to the DVD player. ClearPlay's library currently contains filters for about 500 movies.

RCA has other parental control features on its products, including v-chips in its television sets, which allow parents to block certain programs in their entirety.

A more recent feature included on select TV sets is called "KidPass," a timer that allows parents to set a limit on daily viewing in 30-minute increments. The company even tried a DVD-filtering device in 1998 called "scene-snip." The option, developed by RCA, allowed parents to screen a movie and mark scenes they found objectionable. The player would then skip over those scenes when the movie was played. That player was dropped because it was too expensive at a time when DVD players were rapidly falling in price, Arland said.

ClearPlay works in a similar fashion, with employees for the Salt Lake City company watching the movies and noting objectionable areas.

Various filters are then created in four broad categories: violence; sex and nudity; language and "other," which includes explicit drug use.

Viewers have options within each category. Under language, for instance, viewers can filter for six levels, including "vain reference to the deity" or "strong profanity." Viewers can filter out only the most "graphic violence," or choose a more restrictive "moderate violence" option.

Bad language gets muted and questionable scenes are skipped over.

DVDs also can be watched unfiltered. No filters are created for extra content, including deleted scenes and documentaries. For movies where violence is central, such as "The Passion of the Christ," no filter will be created at all, said Bill Aho, ClearPlay chairman.

"Consumers have always done it," Aho said. "They've covered their eyes or they've stopped the movie or they've fast-forwarded it. This is a practice that has existed ever since the VCR."

Hollywood studios are not covering their eyes -- or holding their tongues. "ClearPlay software edits movies to conform to ClearPlay's vision of a movie instead of letting audiences see, and judge for themselves, what writers wrote, what actors said and what directors envisioned," The Directors Guild of America said in a statement.

"Ultimately, it is a violation of law and just wrong to profit from selling software that changes the intent of movies you didn't create and don't own," the statement said.

The DGA and studios filed a lawsuit in 2002 against ClearPlay and a Colorado video rental store, CleanFlicks, which uses its own software to decode a DVD, alter it for content, then burn a new, edited version, back onto a DVD for rental.

The lawsuit is still pending. ClearPlay contends its software is not illegal because it does not alter the original DVD.

RCA's Arland said the company is monitoring the lawsuit but decided to introduce the model after major retailers expressed interest in the technology. Analysts question how successful the new DVD player will be, especially considering that an existing parental control technology, the v-chip, is barely used.

"I think they'll sell a few units, but I don't see a groundswell of demand," said Todd Chanko, an analyst with Jupiter Research. "It's only been since Janet Jackson that the FCC has decided to start reminding parents they even have v-chips."

ClearPlay's Aho said he does not favor censorship and would not want to see regulators dictate the content of films or TV shows.

"If anyone is trying to censor here, it's the studios telling families you shouldn't be able to do this," Aho said. "That strikes me as having the earmarks of censorship as opposed to us saying, 'Let's give people a choice.' "If you want to watch 'Kill Bill -- The Director's Cut,' if there is one, then great," Aho said. "That's your choice. But if I choose to watch 'Gladiator' maybe with a little less blood, that's my choice."

• gd
    • Jan 2003

:evil:
    How about some disclosure on the names of the religious and/or political zealots who are making the actual edits?

I sympathize (very much!) with parents who are conscientious about what their kids view... but I wanna know who's pulling those strings in the background.

User-choosable edits might have some value... but what's the hidden cost ($$$? - picture quality?) gonna be to the rest of us who want to see movies as intended by their creators?

Am very wary of Big Brother.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

No one knows where the fast forward or chapter button is on the remote?
      I'm not sure who this is trying to protect. Kids? Well that's a parents job...not some silly filter. Really if you need filtering....just fast forward or maybe hold off on the movie and get something more age appropriate.

The best filtering for a parent is to run through the movie before your kid sees it and then you can make an informed decision. If something seems questionable, wouldn't there be more value in letting it go and talk about it during or after the movie....That keeps an open dialogue between you (the parent) and your kids, something that's sorely lacking in today's family.

If you need a lot of filtering in a movie maybe it isn't the best choice for your kids (or you) to watch anyway.

"A RONSTER!"
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Jay Leno provided an alternate take on this when he "announced" availability of this product during his monologue on The Tonight Show:

"Shouldn't they make one that does just the opposite and takes us right to the "good parts" so we don't have to fast forward to find the steamy scenes? That's the one most people would want, isn't it?" :>)

People wanting to automatically mute the foul language in "Seabiscuit"...
        Funny, I don't recall there being a lot of "foul language" in "Seabiscuit" although there was some horsing around. :>)

I agree that prescreening before watching a movie with the kids and discussing what comes up in light of shared values or just skipping the ones that have too much "bad language" or "compromising situations" etcetera is a better alternative to censorship by unknown sources. How can they know what is appropriate in every household?

What is offensive to some is acceptable to others, and that can differ widely by background, beliefs, etcetera. For example, although I know people who almost pass out when they hear the "f" word or "g*dd**m", I am not particularly offended by "cuss words" but am very offended by bigotry being portrayed as an acceptable attitude. But I'd rather make the call on that than have some unseen hand make the edits for me.

But let's face it. A lot of folks are too preoccupied with other things to take the time to deal with this individually (many folks use TV and movies as "baby sitters"). Also, too many would rather let a "higher authority" decide things for them so they don't have to engage their brains in the painful thinking process. So asking them to observe, evaluate and act on something on their own will go nowhere. A cheap electronic device that filters down to the lowest common denominator of inoffensiveness would have a lot of appeal to them.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I agree wuth you guys.

First step, don't watch movies with your kids that aren't age appropriate.

If you want to let them watch something that may be a bit beyond their age, watch it first and then you can decide if there's anything innapropriate or not.

If you decide the movie is OK or decide to let them watch it anyhow, be prepared to be asked questions and be prepared to answer them.

It's called parenting folks. I know we're all busy and it's not easy all the time but they're your kids damnit.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            Funny, I don't recall there being a lot of "foul language" in "Seabiscuit" although there was some horsing around. :>)
            Burke
            I was going to say the same for Pirates. Was there any foul language in that? Dozens of murders, yes, but foul language?

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

But what about kids movies like Chicken Run that are full of fowl language?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Fowl language ? Oh, Andrew, you are so funny. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As for the rig mentioned, I am against any kind of tampering with a filmmakers product. It's up to adults to make sure their kids don't watch the wrong stuff.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Oh and let's not forget the far-right-ultra-conservative-religious faction, too. I know people (like Burke mentioned) that have fits when they see someone's nude bottom or hear a "damn", and protest vehemently that they shouldn't be exposed to such evil/nasty/disgusting/shameful/harmful (you pick the appropriate word) things. Sheesh. If they are so afraid of their own inability to deal in an adult and Christian manner with things that most of our society see as harmless, they shouldn't be allowed out of the sanitarium, much less out driving on the streets or, heaven forbid (pun intended), in a video store.

Okay, I'm gonna put the pulpit up and go watch a movie. . . . :

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Interesting... I would have a few personal opinions on this one:

1. I don't think any company should be able to edit or modify a film or song and redistribute it. That to me seems like a clear violation of copyright laws.

2. I'd agree in general about the principle of parenting being the best solution. When possible, previewing and watching movies with your kids is the best option.

3. If this sort of thing is included so that it is forced on me, and I am not able to watch a movie or TV show as I like it, then it's wrong. Nobody should be choosing for me and my family what we watch other than us.

4. Okay, I DO actually see that this technology could be useful. My daughter is not old enough yet to watch movies, so for now if my wife and I rent a movie and it has some bad stuff in it, no big deal. We just sit it out, turn it off, or skip over it. But I can see that a few years down the road, I'll want to rent movie for the family and not have time to preview them. Often, an "unexpected" scene or dialogue will show up VERY suddenly in a movie without warning, and I won't be able to react all that fast before my daughter sees what's going on. It would be nice to filter out some content that I choose, WHEN I choose to do it.

5. You guys are all whackos with the bad puns.

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Okay, I DO actually see that this technology could be useful. My daughter is not old enough yet to watch movies, so for now if my wife and I rent a movie and it has some bad stuff in it, no big deal. We just sit it out, turn it off, or skip over it. But I can see that a few years down the road, I'll want to rent movie for the family and not have time to preview them. Often, an "unexpected" scene or dialogue will show up VERY suddenly in a movie without warning, and I won't be able to react all that fast before my daughter sees what's going on. It would be nice to filter out some content that I choose, WHEN I choose to do it.
                      The problem with that Chris is that if you don't have time to preview the movie first and the player automatically skips parts that someone else has determined is something you shouldn't see then you might never know you've missed something depending on how seemless it is.

I also feel that for the most part if its got material in it that's not suitable just removing one scene here or there isn't likely going to make the over all content any more suitable for a child to watch.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                        The problem with that Chris is that if you don't have time to preview the movie first and the player automatically skips parts that someone else has determined is something you shouldn't see then you might never know you've missed something depending on how seemless it is.
                        Very well said, sir. That is a very good point, and that would certainly bug me, even as a possibility. Sometimes I'll see a movie that I had watched before on an airline flight or TV broadcast, not even having realized it was edited, and watch scenes I never knew were in there before. I am a purist, wanting to watch and hear movies as the director intended as an artistic piece. I just have to take into consideration my daughter's rearing now, too.

CHRIS
                        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Carl B.
                          • Oct 2004

Don't everybody jump on me at once, but I just happen to be a consumer and a strong supporter of ClearPlay. Some of you feel ClearPlay only appeals to parents with impressionable children or to those who are ultra religious. Well, I must say that I am neither. I just don't like having my senses assaulted by movie content that I find offensive. Does anyone have the right to dictate to me how I should watch a movie in the privacy of my own home? Perish the thought! If I choose to purchase a dvd player that removes profanity, graphic violence, and sex scenes from videos that I purchase with my own hard-earned money, what business is that of yours.

To those of you, like Chris, who want "to watch and hear movies as the director intended as an artistic piece", do you also watch ALL of the previews of movies that you have no intention of buying? Do you sit through ALL of a movie's beginning and ending credits, as the director intends that you do? I don't think so.

Unless I'm wrong, I live in a country where I have a choice to privately view or not to view movie content the way I desire. ClearPlay does not take that choice away from me. Instead, ClearPlay plays a movie the way I set it. NOTHING is forced on me.

If you choose to view movies unedited, I won't stop you. So please don't tell me how to view mine.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Feb 2002

Thank-you for presenting your view

In the end the market will dictate whether there is a big enough demand for this or not. As they say, "money talks...<edited for content> walks"

Good thing this didn't exist in Michelangleos time.

Clear Play version:

:B

Comment

• glangston@socal
                              • May 2004

TEAM AMERICA will be a silent movie with ClearPlay.

Comment

• Carl B.
                                • Oct 2004

Gordon, in response to your April 19th comment, do you really believe that the remote control for your dvd player can do a more effective job of skipping over objectionable movie content than ClearPlay? Consider this: "Men in Black" has 66 curse words. "Dante's Peak" has 27 curse words. "Lost World-Jurassic Park" has 17 curse words. Using your remote control, can you skip over every single bad word in these films. Of course you can't. And even if you could, wouldn't it be easier for a ClearPlay-enabled player to do it for you automatically?

And another thing, ClearPlay never intended to take over the parents' role of supervising the movies their children watch.You would know that if you had read the literature that comes with the player. It says, "Even with ClearPlay, all movies are not appropriate for all ages. Parental discretion is always recommended."

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Feb 2002

Clear Play fits your needs, it doesn't fit mine nor the directors Guild who make these movies. It doesn't stamp out bad language, nudity or violence in the world. Does it take any type of metric and send it back to a accounting agency to show if the clear play filter is actually being used, how often and what type of content it is filtering to show directors and writers that they should lighten up on their movies? I doubt it. So what problem does it solve?, It certainly doesn't give consumers who want less from their movies more of a voice. You still buy the movie with questionable content in tact, thus show your approval to studios the only way they understand, through your hard earned dollars.

Clear Play fits your needs as a consumer, it doesn't fit mine, nor will it change things so enjoy it while it's there

Comment

• Carl B.
                                    • Oct 2004

It is more than apparent to me that ClearPlay does not fit your needs. It also does not fit the needs of a lot of people who enjoy, or at least tolerate immoral conduct in movies. I agree with you that ClearPlay "doesn't stamp out bad language, nudity or violence in the world." It also doesn't cure disease, eliminate poverty, or reduce the price of gasoline. ClearPlay wasn't designed for that. Instead, it was created to fill the needs of people who enjoy movies without the decadence that Hollywood is trying to cram down their throats.

To all of you who object to the way ClearPlay edits movies, I say don't buy the product; it was not meant for you. Just because I find it useful, am I such a bad guy?
                                    Last edited by Carl B.; 15 October 2004, 01:02 Friday.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Feb 2002

Easy there Carl, you read like your blood is boiling, and I'm not sure why (course if it isn't, then I apologize for mis-reading intent). Enjoy the product m'kay. I think the people who find it useful will use it and those who don't, won't (I'm a poet and I didn' knowit). Simple as that. No one called you a bad guy so I'm not sure where that's coming from? I thought we were talking about Clear Play; you appear to be personalizing our discussion where the focus is on the technology and a 3rd party over-running the rights of studios and directors (minus my little datribe on parental responsibility ).

ClearPlay never intended to take over the parents' role of supervising the movies their children watch.You would know that if you had read the literature that comes with the player.
                                      Hard to do my friend as I don't have the player

does not fit the needs of a lot of people who enjoy, or at least tolerate immoral conduct in movies.
                                      Immoral as defined by who? ClearPlay? I sure hope not.

People around here probably object more to the digital revisionism more than anything else, like it will/can erase something that happened in the past. Good or bad, you can't, nor should you try to change history. Disney for instance would like to pretend that Song of the South does not exist, in the same vien Lucas wishes that the original StarWars didn't happen and Spielberg felt that guns in E.T. were a mistake. Should they change any of that....personally I say no. Is it their right? Absolutely, they made and own those properties. Clear Play is more akin to Pan and Scan...really.

Anywho, I've had my fill and say on ClearPlay...As I said before, enjoy your player and the technology that benefits your needs

Take Care,

Gord

Comment

• Carl B.
                                        • Oct 2004

No,no, no. My blood is not boiling. If you look closely, you may notice that the very last thing I said was not specifically directed at you. It's just that I have heard so many attacks against a product that has done a lot of good for so many people who are trying hard to keep an unsavory element out of their living room even though they may have to be in it when they step outside their front door. Using myself as an example, I cannnot control the foul language and obscene jesting that takes place on my job on a constant basis. But with ClearPlay editing, I can at least keep such indecent behavior out of the entertainment I enjoy in my home. I wonder if opponents of ClearPlay have even tried it. But then again, why should they if they enjoy everything that comes across the big screen?

So, Gordon, I am not at all angry with you. Why should I be? We are both entitled to our views, even if they do not always coincide. However, I do get a little defensive when we (ClearPlay supporters) are referred to as "a far-right-ultra-conservative-religious faction". That is far from the truth.

If you are signing off of this subject, I would like to say that I really enjoyed our discussion. Now if you will excuse me, ClearPlay and I have a date with "A Few Good Men".

Much success to you.
                                        Last edited by Carl B.; 12 October 2004, 17:15 Tuesday.

Comment

• Carl B.
                                          • Oct 2004

Gordon, I forgot to answer your question about who defines morality when it comes to film editing. I can tell you right now that ClearPlay's creators don't define it. All they did was develop software for the DRC232N, a dvd player that empowers its user with the ability to choose how much human behavior he is willing to experience while he is enjoying a movie. With its roughly 16,000 filter configurations, this player can play a movie according to the parameters that are programmed into its memory by its user. If so desired, the user can disable any filter setting, or even the filters themselves so that a film may be viewed unedited.

So you can see that ClearPlay is one of but many tools an individual has at his disposal to exercise his own morality as well as his freedom to choose what he wishes to accept or reject from the movie industry.

See you around the universe. Live long and prosper.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"