X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

The drunk guy at the party syndrome !

As a decent singer/guitar player, I have done my fair share of parties......campfires etc and people love it and gobble it up....sing along....etc.

However, every once and awhile, there's a dude who has had way too much to drink that thinks that he wants to be Elvis and in a fleeting moment when I put my expensive guitar down to go wee-wee or whatever..........he decides to grab it and attempt to start playing it in his moment of fame.

Well, this happened to me once again the other night at a friends party and I put my guitar down on the table to take a break and drunky boy picks it up (Always without asking........always!). 8O

Ohhhhhhhhh boy,,,,,,I've seen too many bad things happen to guitars at parties by bad Elvis impersonators!

Now, I'm a friendly kinda' dude and I don't want to get in anyone's face.......especially drunk guys at parties but dammit........this guy is drunk.......and........I just put new strings on this 12 string guitar and his slobbering, drunky boy fingers are gumming up my new, pristine sounding guitar!!! Dammit !!:M

Once.......at a party many moons ago, I was playing someone's guitar (Who I asked permission to play it!) and when I was done I put it down. This drunky boy dude comes outta' nowhere and grabs it and starts to pretend to play it doing his best Elvis, gyrating hip thingy. When his 15 seconds of fame is over, he decides to put it down holding it ONLY by the guitar strap!? (Bad idea guitar 101)

Well guess what???!!!!...........The strap lets go and pops off of the acoustic guitar.......sending it hurling down to the cobble stone floor............IT SMASHES INTO PIECES !! :roll:

I guess the moral to this story is if you need to take a break at a party.......PUT THE DAMN GUITAR IN IT'S CASE !!!

amen.........
    Dan Madden :T
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

that is so wrong on so many levels.

& a 12 string.....they are hard enough to keep in tune without some numnuts dancing around & banging on the strings!

might consider putting a large sticker on it when at partys that says "DO NOT TOUCH!"

i would put a padlock on the case, too!
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
      that is so wrong on so many levels.

& a 12 string.....they are hard enough to keep in tune without some numnuts dancing around & banging on the strings!

might consider putting a large sticker on it when at partys that says "DO NOT TOUCH!"

i would put a padlock on the case, too!
      Amen and I hear ya !!

In this last case, I was there when the drunk dude picked up the guitar and although I had my reservations about the whole thing, the dude was sitting down so while watching him carefully, I let him play it. He actually had some experience playing guitar and in some convoluted way, I kinda' like hearing my guitars played by others. He didn't last long because he was drunk and tired. All was fine in the end. It's when someone picks up your guitar when your not there that can be problematic !!
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"