X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowball
    • Feb 2006

Is it OK to ask about a cable brand?

First of all since i know that talking about cables is a delicate situation,and from respect to Lex,i am not going to post my question right away.

Mods and admins and especially Lex,if i was to ask for opinions and experiences with a certain cable brand(not CAT) will i be breaking any forum rules?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Snowball,

This will be a call for Lex - to help what cable brand?

Geoff

Comment

• snowball
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
      Snowball,

This will be a call for Lex - to help what cable brand?

Geoff
      Audio Quest!

Comment

• snowball
        • Feb 2006

Lex ?

Comment

• snowball
          • Feb 2006

here we go!

well since nobody said anything about if its ok, i will ask anyway...

so,i am planning to buy this setup in the near future but i am doing my homework quite early:

B&W 804 or 803
          RB-1090
          RC-1090
          RCD-1072(or maybe something else not sure yet)

this setup is going to be purely about 2ch music experiences and my dealer said to me that he can offer me some Audio quest cables,but i didnt had the time to discuss the matter with him so i am asking here,what do you suggest and what are your experiences with the company?

As for the budget i think by looking at my setup you can estimate a rough average,and quite frankly i dont know exactly how much i will be able to spend on cables!

hope you can help me,and i hope lex will understand and will not burn the house down! (j/k)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I will be also using AQ cables. Did you check out the site and see what fits your needs?
            B&W

Comment

• snowball
              • Feb 2006

i did.But it got a bit complicated since i know almost nothing about cables and what would satisfy my needs(i sound lik a sex maniac h: ).

thats why i posted here,to get some help .

btw its in audio quest that i saw the SPDIF and Fiber optic cables that made me open another thread about them!(but i still didnt understood the differnce between those two! ops: )

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

read AQ's 27 page pdf file on cable theory

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

CAT's beaten AQ dollar for dollar similarly to many other big names, but if you wish to put your money into 5th ave ad agencies, full page ads in Stereophile, and large multi plant, multi-employee operations, hey, be my guest. AQ has made some decent products over the years, but don't expect to buy solid silver cables for less than 100 a pair. Our low overhead and smart buying allow us to have as good or better products, and at better values. Price our top end and price theirs.

Doug
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• snowball
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                    CAT's beaten AQ dollar for dollar similarly to many other big names, but if you wish to put your money into 5th ave ad agencies, full page ads in Stereophile, and large multi plant, multi-employee operations, hey, be my guest. AQ has made some decent products over the years, but don't expect to buy solid silver cables for less than 100 a pair. Our low overhead and smart buying allow us to have as good or better products, and at better values. Price our top end and price theirs.

Doug
                    hmm yes i have found too that their high-end cables are a bit on the steep edge...(about the $$$ i mean)

actually i was thinking about bying from you too lex,but i wanted to see what my dealer had to offer first!

Comment

• cuda65
                      • Feb 2005

I had some AQ cables that I replaced when I bought my CAT cables and I am very happy. See what your dealer offers you then talk with Lex. You wont be dissapointed with CAT. Good luck!
                      Doug

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex

Doug

So True! Proved it to myself.
                        Greg

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

my only rip on the AQ wires is that while pretty their jacket (for lack of a better word) frays and looks rather crappy. squeezing through one tight spot will do it
                          the best i can describe it as is fuzz bunnies like on a fleece

kind of tough to swallow when you pay $200 for a pair of 1M composite cords

Comment

• Skynut
                            • Mar 2006

If I may, I use Raymond cables. I found him and his company on e-bay.
                            I don't know if I can paste a link but if you do a search you can find them.
                            I have them everywhere in my system and like them for the build quality and price. (cheaper than AQ)

Just my %2 of a buck.
                            Skynut

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

CAT cables. period. There is a thread questioning the need for "high-priced cables" that has tons of useful knowledge. High priced is a pretty fluid term , relative to your budget. For me , $150 is high priced-but if that's what it costs to get the cables I want then it's all moot. The visible and tactile cues of CAT cables are more than enough to demonstrate the overall build quality-you'll have to audition for sound quality yourself.
                              When I got my Silvercats , Flatt and Scruggs were suddenly not sharing the same chair for Foggy Mountain Breakdown. I recommend them %100.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Michael A
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                                CAT cables. period. There is a thread questioning the need for "high-priced cables" that has tons of useful knowledge. High priced is a pretty fluid term , relative to your budget. For me , $150 is high priced-but if that's what it costs to get the cables I want then it's all moot. The visible and tactile cues of CAT cables are more than enough to demonstrate the overall build quality-you'll have to audition for sound quality yourself.
                                When I got my Silvercats , Flatt and Scruggs were suddenly not sharing the same chair for Foggy Mountain Breakdown. I recommend them %100.

Alaric, are you running seprates? Are you also running silver for your speaker wires?

Comment

• Trevor
                                  • May 2005

OFF topic

Does cat cables have power cords that filter out impurities? The store I go to always push these power cords but they cost 300 at the cheapest level. I do not remember the price but I have heard a difference they make.
                                  Thanks
                                  Trevor

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Lex hasn't branched out into power cords - yet. It's only a matter of time tho'. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Trevor
                                      Does cat cables have power cords that filter out impurities? The store I go to always push these power cords but they cost 300 at the cheapest level. I do not remember the price but I have heard a difference they make.
                                      Thanks
                                      Trevor
                                      A power cord alone will not clean, regulate or otherwise improve an electrical signal. The best it can do is pass the existing signal along with as little interference as possible. To regulate, clean and otherwise improve the electricity coming from your wall you will require a power conditioner (with surge/brownout protection for peace of mind).
                                      Jason

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Michael A , I'm using copper speaker cables (bi-wire) , integrated amp and seperate CD player .I have a little Marantz PM7200 amp and Marantz SA8260 SACD/CD with Paradigm Studio v.3 speakers. Certainly not the high end of the spectrum , but enough to allow me to hear some detail differences. I think the soundstage is created by a combination of source and amp , but it has to get to the amp first. I hear a pretty noticeable difference between Class A and Class A/B with the Silvercats , whereas I heard only a slight difference with my previous interconnects. I'm sold. Some very smart people tell me it's my imagination , but it's a reasonably priced hallucination and doesn't interfere with the rest of my life. I also did a A/B comparison for my tone deaf wife ("You spent how much on wire??") and she actually agreed there was more detail and "the instruments are all spread out". I was impressed because the spousal unit normally doesn't care if the music is coming from a live symphony or a clock radio. :lol: I love her , but she can't tell a B flat from a boiling cat.(apologies to cat lovers)
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dyazdani
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Oct 2005

I love her , but she can't tell a B flat from a boiling cat.(apologies to cat lovers)
                                          That's a good one!
                                          Danish

Comment

• gd
                                            • Jan 2003

I love her , but she can't tell a B flat from a boiling cat.(apologies to cat lovers)
                                            No problem... I love boiled cat.
                                            greg (gd to you)
                                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Tacos el gatto? Holy feline cuisine, Batman!
                                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"