X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

NEW DVD PLAYER vs. OLD CD PLAYER

I curently use a "top end" Pioneer 868 dvd player for my 2 channel listening as well. I have in storage a +-15 year old yamaha CD player (CDX 530) (not used much - ie. in perfect condition).

I was just wondering if the technology that yamaha used back then in a dedicated cd player can stand up against a current "top end" dvd player for 2 channel audio.

I know I can test this and will, or will I be wasting my time ?. In other words is there a chance of the yamaha souding better.

Kobus
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I don't know about that Yamaha model in particular but a lot of older CD players used some pretty good quality parts. I'd say it's at least worth a listen to compare
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if you felt the older cd player to be better. DVD players are a compromise for redbook listening. There is a good reason why folks end up modifying them to improve 2 channel performance

In all respects I wouldn't consider the Pioneer to be "top end dvd" either. Top end dvd screams to me Classe, McIntosh, Denon 5910 etc.

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Thank you

Originally posted by Shane Martin
        I wouldn't consider the Pioneer to be "top end dvd"
        I meant "top end" pioneer, like in best they have to offer.

Kobus

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

I replaced my c. 1985 Marantz CD player with a Denon 3300 about 3 years ago. The Marantz was terrific in its day, but the Denon was noticeably better. I would expect your Pioneer to be better again.

Martyn

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

I have found my Onkyo dvd player to be better in some ways compared to my older Rotel 965bx cd player, in 2 channel.

The onkyo has more detail and clarity and tighter bass.

The Rotel is a tad smoother at very loud volumes but does seem to be just a tad duller or veiled particularly at low volumes.

It is not a huge difference, and probably depends on what components are being used, cables ,room etc and what your hearing is like. LOL

Have a good long listen and use the same cables (preferably analogue) on both players to make it a fair comparison.

Only you can say what sounds better to you.

Let us know your findings.

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

My Denon 3910 dvd player sounds better than anything in my house and that includes a 199$ HK, 300$ Sony and a 699$ Rotel cd player. Some guys on another thread are talking about a Cambridge Audio cd player for 599$ I will be checking that one out for my self. The top of the line Pioneer AI 59 dvd player has a better sound than my Denon, I owned it shortly, but returned it for an video issue, but the sound on it was awesome.
              Blake

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"