Digital outputs on receivers for source switching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netarc
    • Jul 2003

Digital outputs on receivers for source switching?

I'm considering using the Yamaha YSP-1000 "speaker bar" in a secondary room; although the speaker has its own amp and provides for source switching (i.e., you don't need a receiver), said source handling is limited.

So I'd planned to hook up a receiver at the front end and send the receiver's pre-amp outputs to the speaker ... alas, the speaker only has digital inputs - one coax and one optical.

I realize many receivers (including the Denon 2807 & 2106 I'm considering) have digital outputs, but I've never actually used these and not sure if they function as I would need.

For instance, say a receiver only has an optical digital output ... would the active source on the receiver automatically be piped through this output, and as bitstream? Would only optical digital inputs be piped through this, or would coax be sent as well? What about analog inputs ... I suspect these probably wouldn't be supported over the digital out, correct?
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

most newer receivers should send out the same signal through their digital outs, that their digital in's are taking in. digital coax and optical really are the same type of signal (pcm, bitstream) just transferred in a differnt way. i have a yamaha receiver that's about 3 years old and it sends anything out the digital outs. to be certain if it's going to work for the models your considering, just go to the brands website and download a pdf of the manual. i looked at the avr2106's pdf but didn't find much,

best of luck

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"