Analog vs. Digital for 2 channel..I'm confused!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinnosuki
    • Sep 2007

Analog vs. Digital for 2 channel..I'm confused!

When listening to digital music through optical cable link, it's much clearer than using RCA analog interconnect...true?

If so, how come stereo preamps don't use this technology?

If not, if I were to use a stereo preamp/proamp, are you saying it just as clear as a digital cable link via optic fibers?

The reason I ask this is because I listen to mainly MP3 through my PS3 via optical connection and I want to go into a preamp/proamp setup for 2 channel now, but the preamp I'm looking at, Rotel RC1082, only use RCA interconnect.

So many questions:

Am I losing a lot of clarity because the DAC on the PS3 really sucks that bad? or it is normal because its running off analog RCA interconnect?

Does differences in DAC really make a night and day difference?

What can I do if I want 2ch system and play mp3 as main source? I'm thinking if I need a surround preamp just for this purpose, I'll just go with a Rotel RSP 1068. So what do you guys think?

BTW, sorry if all this may sound confusing, it is even for me so I'm asking! I am pretty new to separates but I want a really pure and clean sound and I don't know how that's possible if I want to run a digital source..and yes I know mp3 is not the best in sound quality but its easier to manage :

Thanks all!
  • june
    • Feb 2005

hello,

let your ears be the judge. i'm an analog person. i also use a rotel rsp1068 with a rcc 1055 cd player.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Shinnosuki,

Make Google your friend Grasshopper. For example:

Nigel.

Comment

• avrtRick
        • Oct 2007

Hi mate.

To give you the most simple answer; It comes down to the DAC in the source versus the DAC in the pre or pre/pro you end up buying

So, since the rc1082 only has RCA inputs(no DAC), I would suggest buying a good cd/mp3 player and if thats not an option I would go for the RSP1068

Just my 2cents worth

Rick

Comment

• Shinnosuki
          • Sep 2007

yea thanks, i did a lot of research on my own and figured a lot more than I need to know..i guess the only way is to get a 1068...i'm hoping since the 15 series are coming out, i would see a lot used on sale on ebay or audiogon! *crosses fingers*

Comment

• avrtRick
            • Oct 2007

I hope it all goes well good luck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"