X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Keck
    • Jan 2005

I break th eBank (long)

Well, I broke the bank Tuesday evening. The Apex DVD player in the living room was dying. My wife said I could buy a new one, but to keep it to about $80.00. The Apex was $50 when I got it, and I think that another one that cheap would not last. I’ve been wanting to check out SACD and DVD-A while I still can, so I mentioned that I found a DVD player that I liked, but it was refurbished so I didn’t know how long they would last. To my surprise, she went along with getting the new machine. So I ordered a Samsung HD-841 from Tiger Direct. Under $80.00 with the shipping!!

I had concerns about getting one of these after reading a bunch of negative reviews of this model and about lots of people having trouble setting up universal players. I set the new unit up in my theater in the basement and brought the old DVD player up to the living room.

I have no idea where I got that patch cord with red, black, green, and yellow plugs, but it helped make hooking the player to my Pioneer 709 receiver a snap. All I did was plug everything in and play stuff. I did no set up stuff at all. In addition to the Pioneer, I have Polk RTi 38s and CSi 30 speakers across the front, some KLHs that I got for $20.00 at BB in the back, and my 500 watt Quatro 15 DIY sub. I use 12 ga. speaker wire from Home Depot and generic interconnects.

I bought the Jorma Kaukonen SACD that was mentioned a while back and the DVD-A of Tommy.

Mind you, I’ve had all of a bit over two hours with this machine, so far. Just enough time to listen to all of the Kaukonen disc and most of Tommy.

First impressions: I liked that blue light around the power button. I wish the info in the window used the same blue instead of that crappy green. Then the music came on. They can make th edispalys any damn color they want as long as the music sounds that good!

That nice acoustic folk music on Jorma’s album, note that I am too lazy to run downstairs to look up the title, was as close to live as I ever thought I’d hear at home. I can understand why one might object to surround music, but for my maiden voyage into hi-rez in my own system, I ain’t gonna object. The bass struck me as especially well integrated into the rest of the music. I mention this because I have read so much about problems with bass management in these universal machines. This one seems to have it together with no effort on my part.

Tommy was a whole new experience. I have heard it live twice, including its first American performance at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. I bought the record. I have the CD. I think it’s a remastered one. However, this DVD-A is like a whole new experience. I think it justifies multi-channel music. I heard things in Keith’s drumming that I never heard before. This recording indicates that anything I ever said to anyone about him being the best rock drummer ever was horribly understated.

I can’t wait to try a movie on this thing.

What’s interesting about all of this is that I was reaching a point of wondering why I was still interested in all this A/V stuff. I have been enjoying the live concerts that I have been working at way more than my recorded music and have acquired a taste for plays of late. However, I can see where hi-rez might just make me content to enjoy my evenings at home with music again.

Therefore, I find it truly regrettable that SACD and DVD-A were not better publicized and sold to the public. In our culture full of hype for any and every kind of utter crap, it is a shame that something as wonderful as hi-rez has not been given every chance to succeed.
    Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

If that Samsung is the one I'm thinking of, for silver it is one of the nicest looking players I've seen. A no frills solid looking machine for sure.

Always good to make a change and improve the quality of the picture and or sound. :T
    ......Pat

Comment

• Jack Keck
      • Jan 2005

It is an attractive piece. It seems like many of the Samsung players share the same design. Who uses the controls on the face, anyway?
      Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jack Keck
        Who uses the controls on the face, anyway?
        You got that right...lol.

Seems like everything has a remote this day and age. I have "read" the people into super duper high end equipment don't really care for remotes because it may degrade the quality of sound.
        Last edited by Patt; 27 June 2005, 18:37 Monday.
        ......Pat

Comment

• Kens1
          • Mar 2005

I would like to hear the reason why a remote would degrade sound quality although I'm sure some audiophile could give me a lengthy explanation.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I had an 841/941 for a good bit but returned both players due to a large amount of bugs I found with the video portion(lockups, freezing on layer changes etc). The bass management on the dvd-a/sacd portion was also very dissapointing. Because the bass management makes or breaks DVD-A/SACD, I really didn't have a choice.

Comment

• StefanColson
              • Jun 2005

Remotes

Show me someone who claims that remotes degrade the sound of a rig, and I'll show you someone who deserves a big time kick in the balls.
              Last edited by David Meek; 27 June 2005, 19:42 Monday. Reason: blackout tags added

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

Hi Stephan,
                I'll take that as 1 vote for remote volumes are not a bad thing.
                ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Stefan, I'd like to know what your bona fides are in order to make such a definitive "statement".

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by StefanColson
                    Show me someone who claims that remotes degrade the sound of a rig, and I'll show you someone who deserves a big time kick in the balls.
                    Though you could have said it a little more eloquently :lol: I do agree with you. If unit A sounds way better than unit B and has a crappy remote...well you know what that's why I have a universal touch screen :B However if two units are otherwise equal I might go with the one with the better remote
                    Jason

Comment

• StefanColson
                      • Jun 2005

Think about it, all a remote does is send signals to relays inside the box that actually control functionality. You can pick up any one of the many universal remotes on the market, and all will transmit the exact same message (once programmed properly) to your box. In pretty much every device with a remote, performing a remote function (like volume adjustment for example) triggers the EXACT SAME relays inside the box that actually adjust the volume as does spinning the volume knob on the front of the unit. No audio passes through the remote. Pressing a button on the remote does THE EXACT SAME THING as performing the same function from the front panel of the unit. Whether using a $2 piece of junk you got at radio shack or some ridiculously priced unit from Crestron, the EXACT SAME THING is being sent to your box, and it's performing the EXACT SAME FUNCTION.

I suppose if you were comparing two different units and the stock remotes varied greatly in terms of quality, it might say something about the general quality of product made by the company, but the remote itself will make 0 difference in the audio quality.

The people likely to argue that one remote sounds better than another are the same folk who rub oils and liquids on CDs to improve the subjective sound quality. That's another piece of snake oil (although I seen that one in a while) that is groin-kick worthy. If you don't know why that claim is utter bull, I'd be happy to shed some light.

BTW, I've never heard anyone mention a possible difference in the sound quality of remotes before this thread, but now I'm starting to wonder how many there might be out there.....

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

deleted by me
                        ......Pat

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I don't want to speak for anyone else here but I in no way meant to say remotes have an effect on sound quality. I was merely stating that if two units are otherwise equal for sound quality, price etc I'd likely but the the one with the better remote if that was the only difference. Just another sign of quality However if I was looking at two units and one of them sounded better but had a crappy remote, I'd still buy it because it sounds better, I have a quiality universal remote to handle the IR codes
                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"