X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OHjim
    • Jul 2008

Apex Senior versus PE Dayton

Newbie here and am wondering what you all would select/recommend between these two subwoofer amps:

Parts Express Dayton SA240, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-804 $140

or Apex Sr http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm $155 (with remote control)

I am re-creating the old (1990's) a/d/s/ MS4 (SW500) that is/was a bandpass enclosure with a 12" driver (4 ohm) that was rated at 300W and 17hz - 100hz.

For me the pros/cons are as follows:
    Dayton Pros: 1) warranty, 2) price, 3) extensive filtering and circuit protection (see PDF review)

Dayton Cons: 1) Can it play down to 17hz? - the bass mods just boost the bass but don't change corner freq (per PE chat), 2) lower power, 3) no remote

Apex Sr Pros: 1) can play low with the R26 mod, 2) Remote control (I use this on the AudioFile amp I currently have from Apex), 3) 100W more power than Dayton

Apex Sr Cons: 1) No filtering, 2) Not sure about warranty, though I think Steve would take care if it went dead prematurely, 3) Slightly more expensive (puts me over my $150 budget slightly with shipping).

The intended use is both HT and general music listening, though the greater of the two would be HT. I did consider the BASH300, but have decided against going digital. I have a Sony 5.1 receiver, PSB fronts (Alpha center and sattelites), and old AudioSource surrounds. My HT is in the basement in one leg of a capitol L (if that makes sense).

I understand PartsExpress supports this site, but I hope that doesn't sway opinion too much.

Thanks in advance. I did try searching for a comparison between these two, but couldn't find it. Apparently "sub" is omitted from searches because it's too common or too short and "sr" is too short, so I don't think my searches were complete.

Jim
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by OHjim
    I understand PartsExpress supports this site, but I hope that doesn't sway opinion too much.

Thanks in advance. I did try searching for a comparison between these two, but couldn't find it. Apparently "sub" is omitted from searches because it's too common or too short and "sr" is too short, so I don't think my searches were complete.

Jim
    PE's sponsership doesn't sway any recommendations.

The word 'sub' doesn't work because the search engine requires at least 4 letters in the search box. Even if the search engine supported 3 letter searches, what you'd get with 'sub' is every post ever made containing that word. So not very helpful.

That said we haven't discussed these two amps.

It looks like you've analyzed the situation completely.

I'd probably go with the ApexJr amp simply because of the higher power.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      I'd probably go with the ApexJr amp simply because of the higher power.
      I second this :B

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I did consider the BASH300, but have decided against going digital.
        Quoting myself from another thread (uh oh is this a sign of mental instability? ):

The BASH amps aren't strictly digital or Class D. The output stages are conventional analog, Class AB. The "digital" part is a switch-mode power supply that adjusts the rail voltage to just what is needed to keep up with the signal so it doesn't waste power.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

If I'm reading it correctly, I like the fact that ApexJr will mod the amp for $10. I would be comfortable doing the mod myself, but if I could get the seller to do it for $10 and test it before shipping to me, that would be well worth it.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• OHjim
            • Jul 2008

Thanks all. I was kind of leaning toward more power, but the rumble filter on the Dayton is intriguing. Is it necessary or does more power compensate?

Dennis - Thanks for the info on digital. I have nothing against it, but both the PE chat guy and Steve from Apex steered me away from it.

Ryan - Funny you should mention that. For $10 it's hard to do it myself, but I was thinking I might want to hear it first before doing the mod. Maybe I should just go for it since I would assume I would end up doing it anyway.

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Jim, with a sub the difference between Class A/B and Class D is probably not possible to hear. Heck a lot of people would have problems hearing the difference using the 2 in a 2 channel system.

Comment

• dawaro
                • Feb 2005

Apex Sr Amp

I cant offer any comparisons between the two amps but I can vouch for the Apex being a very nuce plate amp. I have been using one for right at three years now on a Dayton DVC-15 and I have been very pleased with it.
                I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• mayhem13
                  • May 2008

What about the MK 250 amp?

Comment

• OHjim
                    • Jul 2008

I hadn't really looked at the M&K amp. I do like the price, but it doesn't have the remote (which I use occaionally, but could get by without it I suppose). One question is that the frequency response is listed at 20 hz at the -3dB point. Not sure if this is because of the speaker or amplifier??? Does anyone know more about this amp?

Jim

Comment

• mayhem13
                      • May 2008

the manual is for the entire sub unit that this amp came from-a single 12 -3db at 20hz not too shabby. MK is known for SQ so i'm thinking about 2 of these myself.

Comment

• OHjim
                        • Jul 2008

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the Apex Sr without the remote as I got a great deal on it.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

:T

Have you begun using it? Show off your sub!
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"