what is the advantage of replacing standard receptacle ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

what is the advantage of replacing standard receptacle ?

Hi
    i see at some online store that selling hospital grade receptacle outlet (20A). What is the advantage of replacing the standard outlet in the house?. If we think of clean power or sound improvement, the, it should have come to the area of power conditioner or even replacing power cord?

thanks.
  • DifferentLee
    • Apr 2005

Generally speaking you get a quieter background for the music. This is also an effect of AC line conditioners.

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

So, let say, if i have a line conditioner such as Panamax 5300, then i don't need to install one in the wall outlet?

thanks.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

(Ahemmm...Cough cough...)

Originally posted by DifferentLee
        Generally speaking you get a quieter background for the music. This is also an effect of AC line conditioners.
        Explain this in detail please?

Comment

• hidefdvd
          • Jan 2005

Construction tends to be better, and the grip and contact of the socket to the powercord is better.

Comment

• Paul H
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by audiofan
            Hi
            i see at some online store that selling hospital grade receptacle outlet (20A). What is the advantage of replacing the standard outlet in the house?. If we think of clean power or sound improvement, the, it should have come to the area of power conditioner or even replacing power cord?

thanks.

Save your money - spend it on something else, anything else.

If you feel a need to upgrade the outlet, have an electrician run a dedicated line direct from the main electrical panel to a new dedicated outlet. He should be able to supply and install the breaker and line with a 'hospital grade' outlet for a little more than the price some people sell these outlets for online.

Paul

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

Line filters and UPS

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
              Explain this in detail please?
              Andrew, you seem to be a nonbeliever in line conditioners. I was too, then just tried a UPS with filter, did several A/B tests, and decided it was staying there.

There are countless sources of minor noise in household AC, ranging from internet over the electricity cable (you or your neighbours), signals from electricity providers for peak/off-peak/clock, probe and reply to remotely determine power consumption, noisy other appliances, etc etc.

There are also countless spikes and drops due to many appliances changing state (everything that is connected to the household power supply), in addition to overall voltage variations, +-20% is not uncommon.

Removing some of this was responsible for the improvement in audio in my home. I don't know which effect, but the end result is audible. It is easy to imagine that some of this noise gets across the transformers in HiFi.

Finally, I don't want my equipment to get a hard electrical stop in case of failure, or a nasty spike in case of lightning... even for no other reason, that consideration in itself is worth the tiny investment in a UPS. It's already common for PCs, and HiFi is similar.

I can only imagine that, given your HiFi investment, you have all your gear sufficiently protected (insurance is never adequate), right?

As for the power outlet, that sounds ridiculous. Better to have a line filter or UPS directly connected to the HiFi.

Christophe

Comment

• audiofan
                • May 2004

My outlets are pretty tight whenever i plug the power cord in. So, i guess i should have power conditioner. I certainly need one for surge protection anyway.

Any other brand do you suggest? I 'm looking at PS Audio upc-200 and Panamax 5300. They both claim that they filter noise and don't restrict current flow ( Panamax has 2 outlets reserved for Power amp).

thanks again.

Comment

• Jack Keck
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Paul H
                  Save your money - spend it on something else, anything else.

If you feel a need to upgrade the outlet, have an electrician run a dedicated line direct from the main electrical panel to a new dedicated outlet. He should be able to supply and install the breaker and line with a 'hospital grade' outlet for a little more than the price some people sell these outlets for online.

Paul
                  Can I have my son do it when he gets his appreticeship or should I wait 'til he gets his journeyman's card?
                  Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

So, i guess i should have power conditioner. I certainly need one for surge protection anyway.

Any other brand do you suggest? I 'm looking at PS Audio upc-200 and Panamax 5300. They both claim that they filter noise and don't restrict current flow ( Panamax has 2 outlets reserved for Power amp).
                    Michael, I'm not sure what your budget is, but I strongly recommend you look at the Brickwall line of conditioner/protectors. Their biggest advantage over "standard" protectors is that they don't use MOV-type suppressors and consequently won't wear out like an MOV-based unit will.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2001

From my limited understanding Balanced Power has bigger benefits than typical line conditioning. I've seen the benefits of line conditioning and heard it too.

As far as changing the receptecle, I've read that some have to a positive effect. I have not tried it. I think you almost have to with certain amps.

Comment

• Paul H
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jack Keck
                        Can I have my son do it when he gets his appreticeship or should I wait 'til he gets his journeyman's card?
                        I expect your son will be perfectly capable as an electrician apprentice to run a 20A household circuit.

However, many local building codes require a certified electrician to do any electrical work, and not meeting building codes may cause problems with insurance (in the unfortunate event an insurance claim is ever needed).

I'd get your son to check out the bylaws. He can probably run the circuit and have a certified co-worker come have a look at it/do the paperwork.

Paul

Comment

• thyname
                          • Jan 2005

I can get a brand new Panamax 5300 for USD 280, I know it is way below msrp, but it is still a lot of money. Is it worth it? I have no idea whether the elctricity in my apt. building is good or not, but I wonder if it can improve my stereo sound, apart from protection.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

To be honest you have to try it to know for sure. There are some added benefits on the Panamax that may make the $280 worth it. As long as you have a good return policy then I'd give it a go.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                              Andrew, you seem to be a nonbeliever in line conditioners. I was too, then just tried a UPS with filter, did several A/B tests, and decided it was staying there.

Christophe
                              I have no issue with true line conditioning, I was just wondering (with a hint of suspicion) about hospital grade receptacles... and all the associated advantages?

I always wanted to use a true dual conversion power converter on my gear and see if there was a difference but I never was able to find one that I was willing to pay for...

Comment

• csuzor
                                • Nov 2004

Some of these more expensive filters look great

but most don't have batteries, so cannot handle short drop-outs.

Last night again, power to my house was cut for 3 minutes because of high winds... we were watching a movie, and apart from the lights going off and later back on, all the audio-video gear continued as if nothing had happened. That is the minimum protection I would recommend.

I would say, get a UPS at least, preferably with a good filter built-in, otherwise get 2 separate units.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                                  Last night again, power to my house was cut for 3 minutes because of high winds... we were watching a movie, and apart from the lights going off and later back on, all the audio-video gear continued as if nothing had happened. That is the minimum protection I would recommend.

I would say, get a UPS at least, preferably with a good filter built-in, otherwise get 2 separate units.

I used to work for a UPS company (Alpha Technologies) we built UPS devices primarily for the Cable operators and phone companies.

You are certainly correct, I should get a power conditioner slash UPS device...

Comment

• DifferentLee
                                    • Apr 2005

I have no issue with true line conditioning, I was just wondering (with a hint of suspicion) about hospital grade receptacles... and all the associated advantages?
                                    I look at it this way...I have heard great improvements with contact cleaning with Caig ProGold & pipe cleaners...hospital receptacles can have a similar effect due to better connections.

Comment

• audiofan
                                      • May 2004

so , i see some of you think hospital grade receptacle will help , some don't. Which brand of hospital receptacle do you suggest? and where did you buy it?

thanks.

Comment

• Glen B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jul 2004

so , i see some of you think hospital grade receptacle will help , some don't. Which brand of hospital receptacle do you suggest? and where did you buy it?

thanks.
                                        No one else has responded so I'll give it a shot. You do not necessarily have to use hospital grade (HG). Commercial/industrial/specification grade receptacles will work just fine since they have features common to HG receptacles that are important to the audio enthuiast. Some of the most highly regarded and popular receptacles (e.g., Pass & Seymour, Acme, Furutech, Wattgate are not hospital grade).

Features that make receptacles "hospital grade" are superior plug retention, unbreakable shell, chemical resistant face and suppression of sparking when plugs are inserted/removed. The latter is especially important in the hospital environment where oxygen is in use. Commercial/industrial/specification grade receptacles offer the same superior plug retention and rugged shell.

Following are a couple of recommendations from what many people will consider opposite ends of the price spectrum, $5.00 Hubbell spec. grade and $21.95 Pass & Seymour cryoed spec. grade outlets.

Hubbell:

Pass & Seymour:

Comment

• audiofan
                                          • May 2004

Thanks , Glen. The price is much much cheaper to PS Audio. I just need to replace my reptacle because the one i have in my room does not have better contact.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"