X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

Running cable modem and cable TV from same outlet

i am trying to run both my cable modem and tv from the same outlet on the wall. i tried using a standard coax splitter, but i am only getting 13 channels on my tv. if i run a cable straight from the wall to the television i get all channels. how can i get all channels and be able to use my modem? thanks.
    chris
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Try another splitter. The one you're using may not be rated for higher frequencies. Does the cable modem work ok on the splitter?

Also, make sure the splitter isn't the kind that separates VHF, UHF, FM, etc.

Comment

• riceaterslc
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Try another splitter. The one you're using may not be rated for higher frequencies. Does the cable modem work ok on the splitter?

Also, make sure the splitter isn't the kind that separates VHF, UHF, FM, etc.

thanks. the cable modem works fine off of the splitter.

are the ones that separate VHF/UHF etc marked clearly? i don't want to buy the wrong one, and i can't tell if this one is a separator because it's all in Korean :rofl:
      chris

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Normally they're clearly marked, but I wouldn't know what VHF and UHF are in Korean.

Do you have the TV connected directly to the cable or do you go through a (digital) cable box?

Comment

• riceaterslc
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kevin P
          Normally they're clearly marked, but I wouldn't know what VHF and UHF are in Korean.

Do you have the TV connected directly to the cable or do you go through a (digital) cable box?
          i'll pick one up at the store today. the TV is NOT going through the cable box. i was going to try and move the one i have, but its just too many darn wires, lol.
          chris

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by riceaterslc
            i'll pick one up at the store today. the TV is NOT going through the cable box. i was going to try and move the one i have, but its just too many darn wires, lol.
            Can't you get the right splitter (for free) from the cable service provider ? My local cable company has a customer service center about a 10-minute drive from my home where customers can pay their bills, pickup or exchange equipment, cables and accessories.

Comment

• riceaterslc
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
              Can't you get the right splitter (for free) from the cable service provider ? My local cable company has a customer service center about a 10-minute drive from my home where customers can pay their bills, pickup or exchange equipment, cables and accessories.
              probably, but they don't speak english and my korean is horrible.
              chris

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Chris, I think your in the wrong country

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

No splitter that I know of (unless specialized) would cause you to only get 13 channels when ran through it. It would have to be some type of limiter. As long as you get a splitter that is rated at least 1000Mhz, you can push HD signals through there without any issue and it would never stop an analog signal going to your TV.

Just go to some electronics deal and ask for a splitter and make sure it's a least 1 or 2000Mhz capable. I don't know what the rate is, but it shouldn't cost much at all.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• riceaterslc
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    No splitter that I know of (unless specialized) would cause you to only get 13 channels when ran through it. It would have to be some type of limiter.
                    the problem was a setting on the TV. i had it set to "air" as opposed to "cable" i really wish my brand new TV came with a manual....
                    chris

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"