X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Long cables - line level vs. speaker???

I see that many high-end companies recommend putting the amps close to the speakers and having longer line level cables versus longer speaker cables.

To me, this seems just backwards. Isn't it more likely that a long line level run has the possibility to degrade the signal more than a long speaker run?

For a frame of reference, I'm talking 25-30 ft lengths...

Thanks,
    Todd
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I agree with you. It's better to have short interconnects to the amps, and longer speaker wires, than the other way around. Low level signals are affected more by noise, interference, and cable capacitance than high (speaker) level signals.

You could go the long interconnect/amp near speakers setup but long interconnects of the quality required would be far more expensive than the equivalent length of speaker wire.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
      • May 2003

I'm thinking this may only apply to balanced XLR interconnects?
      Many of the reviews seem to indicate they are stabler and shielded a lot better than typical longer rca runs.
      I wouldn't want to see the price tag on a good 30 ft run of XLR though.

cheers,
      Mikey
      "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
      -Dark Helmet

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
        I agree with you. It's better to have short interconnects to the amps, and longer speaker wires, than the other way around. Low level signals are affected more by noise, interference, and cable capacitance than high (speaker) level signals.

You could go the long interconnect/amp near speakers setup but long interconnects of the quality required would be far more expensive than the equivalent length of speaker wire.

Hmmmm. I think at best, one has to say, YMMV. For example, I run balanced output from my preamp, and the electronic crossovers which are going back into my system soon are balanced output with low impedance tranformer drive.

Most standard solid state preamps, even CD players, have pretty low impedance outputs (under 50 ohms), and driving 20-30 feet of a good set of interconnects shouldn't be too difficult. Now, my Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables are about as low a signature as I know of (AWG = 5.5; braided construction cuts inductance drastically compared with standard constructions), but the simple COST to buy a 20 foot set would turn what hair I have left white.... an 8 foot set was bad enough...

Then there's the matter of which is easier to route or hide...

Maybe it's a decision that should be considered carefully for each installation and it's requirements...

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'm an member of the long (fully shielded 2 conductor, but not necessarily fully balanced) interconnect and short speaker wire school of thought. :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• whoaru99
            • Jul 2004

Hmmm...

It sounds like a test is in order.

I don't have immediate access to 30-ft interconnects of very high quality. But, for my powered sub, I made an RCA interconnect with Belden 8760 - specs as follows

Nom. Characteristic Impedance 60 Ohms
            Nom. Inductance .18 µH/ft
            Nom. Capacitance Conductor to Conductor @ 1 KHz 24 pF/ft
            Nom. Cap. Cond. to Other Cond. & Shield @ 1 KHz 44 pF/ft
            Nom. Conductor DC Resistance @ 20 Deg. C 6.5 Ohms/1000 ft
            Max. Operating Voltage - UL 300 V RMS (UL AWM Style 2092)
            Max. Recommended Current 5.2 Amps per conductor @ 25°C

I wired the cable using a "balanced" connection scheme (one conductor for center pin / one conductor for ground / shield connected to the ground only at the source end). I do understand that with RCA it's not really a true balanced configuration, but you get the point.

My speaker cables are no-name 12-ga fine strand OFC.

I have enough of the Belden wire to make a second interconnect in short order. Is the quality of the cables described sufficient that I could expect a meaningful result of the test? In other words, sufficient quality to even be worth the effort to test?

Thanks again.
            Todd
            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

This Belden is good for making a reasonable basic cable. Without knowing more about your system, it may be all you ever need. The most important point, IMO, is that you're using a dual wire configuartion with shield connected only at one end. This is the best unbalanced configuration, EXCEPT for Video and digital SPDIF signals, where you need a high grade coax with a characteristic impedance.

You might find improvements using a cable with teflon insulated individual wires, and with a heavy braid shield, instead of just metalized plastic (Beldfoil). For a subwoofer application, the dilectric properties of the insulator are not very critical; this seems to become more a factor in the upper frequency ranges.

Remember, the important thing for YOU to determine is what works for you in YOUR system, at the price you're willing to pay. And that's why I started off wtih YMMV....
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"