X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titan7
    • Dec 2005

interconnects, Speaker wire, surge protection

I have spent the last 3 hours researching interconnects. I currently have M.....r i300 mkII, 1 meter =$30. I thought these were ok but I have read so many review with half saying high priced cables are a waste and others saying it's not. I planned to stay at no more than $50-60 for a 1 meter cable. The only other one I found in the price range are Audio Quest Sidewinders.

Speaker wire, I have used the M.....r XP for years on the old system. I though would get the Monster STD 10' pairs for $35.00? is this ok?

I was planning on just picking up a surge protector but then I read it will limit the current to the AMP? Rotel states to plug the amp directly to the wall outlet?

Do I really have to pick up one of these line conditioners? i.e. M.....r HTS 1600?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I have not hooked anything up yet, I want to do this once with the right cables and wires.
    Last edited by titan7; 31 December 2005, 15:34 Saturday.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Here's a suggestion Titan. Why not either continue using the speaker wire you have now, or changing to standard 12 gauge from Home Depot, and put the other 35 bucks with your 50-60 and get a great pair of interconnects? I've got a nice set of high end cables to sell you for that kind of money. They are called CAT Cables Catalinas, and are also the same base construction as Quantum Cable Supernovas, also a product of ours.

The base wire is produced by a major audio vendor, they utilize great locking barrel connectors, they are quality assembled, and then conditioned on a 1000.00 cable cooker to break them in for you. You will get a lot more out of this move than halving the difference in interconnects and speaker cables.

That's not to say your plan won't work, if you are content with it, then go for it.

YMMV,
    Doug
    CATCables.com
    Owner
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• titan7
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info. I did not see those cables on your web site?

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Titan7, try doing an a/b test of cables and see what you prefer. Someone (I can't remember who or I'd give them credit) on this forum pointed out that cables CAN affect the sound. Whether or not you LIKE what each cable does is up to you. Don't expect the COST of cables to directly correlate to how much you like the sound. And, as Lex said, several people here prefer CAT cables and consider them to be an excellent value and high quality.

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

I believe simply....the better equipment you are using,the better cable you should use.
          The real question is what is "better".....only your ears know.The only thing I know for sure is....the farther you get away from M*****r the better you will be.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Titan, yes, they will be there on the redesign that will happen hopefully first quarter.

I may have a pic of them, I will have to see.

Doug
            Doug

Comment

• pbarata
              • Feb 2003

You should also invest on mains filtering. Rotel RSP-1066, RMB-1075 and RCD-1070 will benefit from cleaner mains. I’ve Olson’s Sound Fantastic mains filter (http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/), which is a cheap but very effective solution. I can ensure you that the benefits are perfect audible.

Many of the brands will allow you to drive your power amplifier through them. However if you decided to connect it directly to mains, a new power cable will be a good compromise. I’m currently using Merlin Tarantula.

There many brands in the market and with a quick search in Rotel Forum you will find some good references.
              Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
              Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Pedro,

I removed the link to the power cables as that company also sells speaker and interconnect cables. We can't allow linking to sites that compete with our forum's owner. Thanks.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

This thread has actually served it's purpose now for the original poster anyway Kevin, so I will just close it now as we try to avoid focus on cables in the clubs anyway.

That way temptation for this cable chatter to get out of hand is avoided.

Doug
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"