Which cables to have longer XLR or speaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

Which cables to have longer XLR or speaker?

What is the better trade off - having a good stereo amp close to the pre/pro and having longer speaker cables (~20 ft) or putting monoblocks at the speakers and running long XLR cables (~20 ft) from the pre/pro?

The center and surrounds and rears will have to do with 12 AWG zip cord. The surrounds and rears will each need about 40 - 50 ft runs (conduit runs buried in the walls so I can cjange it later) and I won't spend more on cables than amps or speakers! :
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Hmmm, this is really a catch 22. Unshielded interconnects typically sound better than shielded. However over longer runs, I'd tend more to recommend shielded. Using XLR will take care of many potential interference problems though, even if not shielded.

Speaker wires don't have to be shielded, as they are not succeptible to the same intereference that interconnects are. So, from a shere technical standpoint, up to a distance of 20 feet, you'd probably be better off with longer speaker cables, and shorter interconnects. Ideally, I like to minimize both. But some situations just allow one or the other, and you must make teh choice.

There is something to be said for shorter interconnects, and with shorter speaker cables, you can afford to buy a little better wire. So, in the end, it's your call, but I'd likely go the longer speaker cable runs which out of my Cattails when in stock wouldn't really break the bank. Problem is, I am currently almost out of stock and can't fill a 40 foot order. I'll know next week when that could change.

Doug
    CATCables.com
    HTGuide owner
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"