X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_s
    • Mar 2005

Long interconnects vs long cables for 802d/803d

I will need to choose between long (about 60 feet) interconnects (balanced) between the pre/pro and the amp with roughly six feet speaker cables or alternatively short interconnects (a couple of feet) with about 60 feet of speaker cable from the amp to the speakers. The speakers in question will probably be B&W 802D or 803D.

Any perspectives on which would typically yield the best results ?

Thanks.
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Speaker wire, I believe would have a larger tendency to pickup noise.

Comment

• Phil Rose
      • Aug 2000

I don't recall the exact number, you can find it on the B&W website, for the maximum reccommended speaker wire impedance but, believe that it was somewhere near 0.1 ohm. It's always better to have the amp closer to the speaker to keep wiring losses low and give the best control of the speaker. A long speaker wire will lower the damping factor of the system due to the increased resistance.

The balanced interconnects are ideal for long interconnecting runs since this configuration will, by design, prevent noise from affecting the small signal on the long cable run.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

You could go optical between the equipment if you're concern about distance. If your equipment can't go optical, you could get a media convertor.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"