X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Noobster build with Piano Black How To

Hi guys!

Normally I would have done a build thread as I went, but everything was pretty straightforward and the build was so sporadic and spread out, I got lazy. Near the end, I decided to make these my Piano Black test cabinets and I created a how to guide for some others hopefully to get value out of. There's already a ton of knowledge and literature on Piano Black, but I wanted to add some with pictures and my own spin. I know I was desperate for pictures since a lot of the threads I found had expired links.

So, I built a pair of augerpro's TM Noobster's with spare drivers I had laying around (Credit to augerpro, they sound great!). They're being used as surrounds right now. At the same time, I added a Dayton 10in HF build to the mix as my friend sold me the SPA240 amp and driver for $50!

To start.....wood!

Click image for larger version

Name:	heMIQ5l.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	935520

For the sub, I went with a fairly over-braced enclosure. No reason in particular, just that I had the wood and I was curious. Net enclosure size is about 1.1ft^3 with the physical about 1.4ft^3. Baffle is 1 1/4in. I went with a down firing because I curious....wanted tall and skinny. Additionally, this sub currently lives behind the couch, so it is more flexible than a front load. Here is a picture of a dry fit.

Name:	06e1YpT.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	935521

For the amp, I cut an 8in by 8in square. Drilled holes in each corner just big enough for the jig saw blade. Then used the jig saw to run from corner to corner. picture below.

Name:	8aDQGXN.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	935522

First gluing....I need more clamps

Name:	r8DuwK2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	935523

I did for get to take a picture, but I did have to cut the braces a little bit to allow the amp to fit into the hole. Before gluing on the side that houses the plate amp, I measured width and cut two of the braces.

Name:	94iJveO.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	935524

The rest is history...sanding, flush trim and driver cutout and recess. Will show finished pictures later.
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 17:55 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

10 years later did you ever get this build finished to show photos?
    Painter in training

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"