X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbruns
    • Feb 2008

NewB working on Noobster 2way

Hi All,

This is my first post here... I have been troll'n around here for a while now, just learning. Played around with building some boxes in teenage years (for cars) but now I am bringing it back and moved to the home theater. This is my thead for my first project. The Noobster.

Thanks to augerpro for his design...
    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 12:39 Thursday. Reason: Update URL for htguide
    JB 8)
  • jbruns
    • Feb 2008

So I need help with the Xover

So This is my first xover I have ever done. I have some electronics experience so I understand about 95% of this So, can someone please comment on this layout and if the connections look correct?

Click image for larger version  Name:	cross-over_test.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	929220

Edit: added Co design
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Noobster_XO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	929221
    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 12:34 Thursday.
    JB 8)

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Sorry I missed this post for so long! Your XO looks correct. I do have two suggestions though. I would use these terminal strips for R4 and R5 so you can quickly adjust the tweeter. You really must adjust this to what sounds good for you as it has a large impact on tonal balance and that's typically a personal taste thing to large extent.

Also consider paralleling two 36ohm resistors together for R10 to double power handling from 10 to 20 watts. If you run these fullrange it won't be a problem, but if you cross to a sub the potential is there to over power these. You can try it how it is for now but when you start listening to these check to see if those resistors get warm during use. If they do, double up on them.

Which brings me to another suggestion. Don't permanently install these in the box until you have tweaked the tweeter to taste and are sure that R10 is not getting warm. I usually just run the wires from the drivers out through the port to the crossover until I finish tweaking.

What are you going to do for cabinets? Will this be for 2 channel stereo or and HT setup? Good luck on the build, I look forward to seeing the results!
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

FYI, you can get those terminal strips at Radio Shack or similar local places.

Also, live with the speakers for a while before adjusting the tweeter level. You may find that what you like initially, you'll tire of over time and want it lower.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jbruns
          • Feb 2008

Thanks for the replies guys. Right now, this is for the HT setup. But they might get moved to computer room or bedroom once completed. I had already picked up some
          terminal strips from PE and will do some playing. I just wanted to make sure this was correct. Since the T1 in CO design shows a “-“ where (I think) it should be a “+” and it threw me off a bit.

This is basically my first build that is not a sub or for a car, so this is my “self-experiment” to see if I like what I build for myself. I currently have a pair for B&W DM602 (for surrounds) and I am building these "Noobsters" to see what they sound like and compare them. (I understand they will not be they same). I also have some old-ass Cerwin Vegas as my front channels in my 5.1 and I imagine the Noobsters will have a much clearer/cleaner sound.
          JB 8)

Comment

• jbruns
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
            Also consider paralleling two 36ohm resistors together for R10 to double power handling from 10 to 20 watts. If you run these fullrange it won't be a problem, but if you cross to a sub the potential is there to over power these. You can try it how it is for now but when you start listening to these check to see if those resistors get warm during use. If they do, double up on them.
            If I need to double this up, could I use a two 16 Ohm with a 4 Ohm to make the 36 ohm?
            JB 8)

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jbruns
              Since the T1 in CO design shows a “-“ where (I think) it should be a “+” and it threw me off a bit.
              Doh! Actually I missed that. My XO schematic is correct.Being and LR2 design the tweeter's polarity is reversed compared to the woofer. So the amp+ wire leaving R4 does indeed go to the negative terminal on the tweeter, and the tweeter's positive terminal goes to ground (amp- terminal).
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

If I need to double this up, could I use a two 16 Ohm with a 4 Ohm to make the 36 ohm?
                You could, but Dayton does make a 36ohm, so it would be cheaper to get that, unless you already had the four 16 ohm and two 4 ohm resistors (for each speaker) on hand.
                ~Brandon 8O
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• Sakura
                  • Jul 2008

He's saying to use two 36 ohm resistors in parallel to get the 18 ohms, but, an 18 ohms which can handle more power.

Comment

• jbruns
                    • Feb 2008

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask

augerpro, you note in you build thread...

Speaker placement is intended as pointing straight ahead with the tweeters to the outside and just above ear level. If these are on short stands and the tweeter is low, consider flipping these upside down.
                    My setup will be ear level for me, but is there a top/bottom on a tweeter? Or would you consider flipping these because of baffle diffraction of the tweeter?

It appears in you pic you have the terminals towards the top... Which I would think is already upside down??

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0054-1.webp
Views:	21
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	944696

Thanks for the help guys!
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 16:59 Saturday. Reason: Update iamge location
                    JB 8)

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

If the tweeters are at about ear height you're fine. IF they would have been considerably below that, then I suggested flipping the whole speaker upside down so the tweeter is on the bottom and the woofer is on top. In your case I wouldn't worry about it.
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• TopherGreen81
                        • Aug 2008

Hey jbruns I am a complete noob to XO's but I think you forgot R3 .16 ohm resistor. I am sorry if you meant to leave it out.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

TG81

Resistor values that low aren't needed in the circuit

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• augerpro
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2006

R3 and R8 are simply the resistance of the inductor. When you look at specified gauge and value on PE you'll see the same DCR listed.
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• TopherGreen81
                              • Aug 2008

augerpro I am about to build your MTM design for a center along with 4 TM's for a 5.1 system. On your crossover for the MTM I guess that R3 and R7 are not needed either right.
                              PS sorry not trying to HIJACK here

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TopherGreen81
                                PS sorry not trying to HIJACK here
                                How about starting with questions regarding your project?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jbruns
                                  • Feb 2008

Done with construction!

Hey All,

Well, Its been a while since I posted. I completed these a few weeks back, but still play'n with the x-over. Right now its setup with R5 at 5.1 ohm and R4 at 3.3. I just went with the middle ground to start with. I like it where its at so haven't been motivated to play around and try other values. I do have other values to swap in/out, but I been working building stands for these things.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment.

Name:	P1000254.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	929222

Name:	P1000242.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	929223
                                  Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 12:35 Thursday. Reason: Update photo location
                                  JB 8)

Comment

• jbruns
                                    • Feb 2008

Hey,

Almost for got a pic of the speaker stands.
                                    Also here is my photo Album [HIGH BANDWIDTH]

I took the build idea from "The TNT Stubby" and some of my own creativity

Name:	P1000289.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	929224
                                    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 12:35 Thursday. Reason: Update photo location
                                    JB 8)

Comment

• augerpro
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2006

Wow, I never expected anyone to actually use the PE cabs since this is a budget design. Looks great though!

Those thick baffles sure mask the back wave of the speaker though. I think a chamfer would have been a bit more preferable here, but if you don't hear anything wrong in the midrange then I suppose it's ok. Let me know what you like AND dislike. If I find a trend I may revisit the design to "freshen" it up.

So are you using just the pair, or is this a HT setup?
                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                      DriverVault
                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"