X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocT
    • Jan 2016

Proposed Statement II MTMWW Rebuild

Hey guys.

It's been about 4-5 years since I built my Statement II speakers. They've been excellent, though my craftsmanship has developed, and I'd like to rebuild them in a slightly more aesthetically pleasing manner.

I attached a couple of photos of my CAD drawings. I've planned out how to do this with the CNC, I just want to check and discuss whether what I've proposed is reasonable, and wont impact dynamics too much.

I intend to 3d print the channels for the mids, rather than use MDF. (this is why they are not included in the CAD drawings). It seems less complicated. I could make the mid tunnels round, or square as originally done.

I increased the cabinet width by 1" at the woofers, and decreased it by 1" at the MTM.

I haven't been able to calculate cabinet volume (likely due to some of my own weaknesses with Fusion 360). I left the depth the same. The height of the tweeter, and position of the mids to the tweeter is the same. I'd guess a 30-40% volume reduction, though hard to say. There's no port shown. I could go either way. No port, and add a sub. Or, port, and... probably add a sub anyway.

Any input is appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.27.54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	872648Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.28.35.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	872649
  • DocT
    • Jan 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.44.34.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	866855Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.46.07.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	866856

A couple more photos for reference.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Nice drawings. First thing, if you’re using the original crossovers, be sure the baffle width is identical.

Second, I’m well known for being a fan of thicker baffles- been that way since the late 70’s. Probably 1870’s, realistically!

What materials are your considering constructing with?

Third, what is your thought behind the really thick baffles at the top and back of the midrange/tweeter module?
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Nice drawings. First thing, if you’re using the original crossovers, be sure the baffle width is identical.

Second, I’m well known for being a fan of thicker front baffles- been that way since the late 70’s. Probably 1870’s, realistically! This is where the maximum vibration stress is occurring. Take a look at the Wavecor Ardent threads, will give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

Third, what is your thought behind the really thick baffles at the top and back of the midrange/tweeter module?
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• audioslave
          • Oct 2003

Don't the Statements have an open back mid? I think there are supposed to be tunnels behind each mid as well.
          mike

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Good point!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DocT
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by audioslave
              Don't the Statements have an open back mid? I think there are supposed to be tunnels behind each mid as well.
              Hey Mike, I mentioned this in the original thead:

I intend to 3d print the channels for the mids, rather than use MDF. (this is why they are not included in the CAD drawings). It seems less complicated. I could make the mid tunnels round, or square as originally done.

Comment

• DocT
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by JonMarsh

Second, I’m well known for being a fan of thicker baffles- been that way since the late 70’s. Probably 1870’s, realistically!

The back thickness is a.trick of cross section analysis I did. It's actually only .75" (19.05mm) thick. The top is thicker, since to get that shape I'll likely have to use my CNC for that specific component. So, I'll take a thick piece of stock, and mill it down to a curve.

I intend to use MDF, and likely hardboard for the sides.

I was hopeful that a less than 10% change in baffle thickness wouldn't be too impactful, and crossover changes wouldn't be necessary. However, I am happy to make some slight crossover adjustments if mandatory. If anyone can point me in the direction of decent quality reading material/resources that would suggest what changes to make. It's about time I learned a little more about crossover construction anyhow.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                  • Dec 2006

Hey DocT, it seems that Fusion will give volume measurements when it thinks it has a nice solid object. More then likely I don't know how to do it either, but, when I need a volume number I take a side profile of the cabinet and extrude it to the appropriate width. I use the new body for nothing more than calculating volume and hide it when not needed. You can then take a measurement on the object and get a volume that way. Of course you need to subtract any internal bracing, etc.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Absinthe
                    • Sep 2021

If Fusion360 doesn't detect a closed volume to calculate, you can cheat by getting the surface area of either the top, bottom or one of the internal bracing plates and multiply by the height of the internal volume. Since you have voids in your internal baces, you'll have to select them along with the brace material before calculating the surface area otherwise, Fusion will omit those voids

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"