Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RookieBuilder
    • Feb 2017

Statement II Build & Setup

Perhaps less of a build thread and more of a setup thread as the build is more or less finished and I'm not much of a cameraman. I still need to do the veneer work, but was eager to listen for a few weeks before I began that.

I deviated from the prescribed plans in a few spots; I shortened the cabinet height by around 3.5" overall as I wanted the look of drivers close the edge of the baffle; The overall cabinet depth is 3/4" shorter; Did my own thing for the base; and the cabinets are rear ported with a cabinet tune of 26hz, mostly due to the smaller volume.

Here is how they look now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Statement II - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	872150
    I have a mahogany veneer to cover them with. I am undecided on how I will finish that, likely a silver stain and shellac or just the shellac.

They have been setup for about 3-4 weeks now, guessing 30-40 hours of use and have been doing great.

Played around to the best of my ability with room placement, the room is cozy at 10'x13' so there isn't much for options. As they sit they are about 6.5' apart, 8.5' from the main listening position, have a subtle toe in, are 21" from the wall, the right speaker is about 10" from the side wall, they left is generally open to the side as seen in the picture. This seems to give the best balance in the room. I am however open to tweaks that might help get more from them. The room is open to the rest of the house on the left side. I am toying with the idea of some room treatment, but need to learn more before I commit to anything.

Listening impressions; First and foremost they sound really good, great clarity and detail, the soundstage is excellent with a superb stereo effect/central image. They get loud and stay crystal clear doing so.
    However, this is where it gets a little dicey, unfortunately, I cant say my expectations were fully realized. The Statement II's are replacing (and directly compared with) Paradigm monitor 7 v7's, IMO an excellent entry level speaker. I will say that the statement II's are better than the paradigms, however in most cases the improvement is very subtle. For instance there is just tiny amount more detail in some cases, most noticeable in the bass; they sound more open, but its only subtle; in some recordings I get a sense of more 'sparkle' or 'texture', but again its very subtle. Much more noticeable is the low extension and the overall clarity at high volume.

This is where I'm looking for help, perhaps my expectations where to high, perhaps my ears aren't golden enough, or perhaps the rest of my gear is holding things back? I have also directly compared them to some B&W 604 S3, this difference/improvement from these to the Statements is more apparent. The plus side is that I'm impressed with how easy the integration into the rest of the system was given the similarities to the Paradigms.

Admittedly I haven't spent any time listening to true high end gear, so I tend to think my expectations were out of line. I know audio is a game of diminishing returns...
    I am fairly confident that the crossover is correct, as is the cabinet assembly.
    Gear is as follows; Chromecast audio, connected via optical cable to a pioneer VSX-1018 receiver, run in pure direct to a Crown XLS 1502 amp. Generally I stream either FLAC's or stream via Google play. Did some back to back listening tests between CD and 320 bit MP3's years ago and couldn't tell the difference.

All in a fun build, great sounding result, and I am happy. I want to get the rest out of these or readjust my expectation on what they can do.

UPDATE: Added pictures of the veneer, see below for more. I need to add that any hesitations I had on these at the start are gone, superb speaker!

Name:	IMG_20171017_205711 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	872250
    Last edited by RookieBuilder; 06 November 2017, 18:27 Monday. Reason: Added finished picture
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

I suspect that the rest of your gear is holding you back. Rerun the CD vs 320KB MP3 test you ran years ago. If you can't tell a difference, your electronics can stand an upgrade. The statements are capable of resolving the difference if presented with the right signal.

In your shoes, I'd start with the Pioneer, replace with a decent DAC and analog preamp or processor if you're using HT too. I don't remember the model but I was very disappointed in the performance of a friend's Pioneer receiver when I set up the Nat-Ps I built for him. I'd tested in the shop with a portable CD player driving a Hafler DH-500 and they were great. Pioneer in the system not so much. I haven't heard it, but Emotiva gear has a good following here based on performance for the price. The Crown is a decent subwoofer amp, but lacks the finesse that the Statements deserve. Then consider some better form of streaming source. I can't remember the threads where Jon has mentioned his favorite streamer, but take a look in the On the Test Bench forum.

As for a standalone DAC, I was shocked by the improvement going with a Schiit Modi MB compared to a number of other built in DACs that I own. They include PC soundcard, m-Audio FW410 interface, Oppo BDP 103 and a Yamaha DSP-A1. The others had been very close, but the Schiit blew them away. Pretty darned good for $250. There was a noticeable improvement even with a set of old speakers and a 15W T-amp that I had at the summer camp. I'm running a Cambridge 851D now which is another big step up.

If you can temporarily set up your statements in a larger room using the Cardas positioning you will get a feel for what the speakers are capable of. All the stuff in your listening room has an impact. Try to remove as much as you can, and get the right speaker a bit further from the side wall.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Bob nailed it! I couldn't have said it better.

The Statements II will continue to sound better as you feed them a better source. Yes, you should easily be able to hear the differences between "very well recorded" CD's and MP3's. I don't know what your listening tastes are so some genres simply have few great recordings to do valid comparisons. I did a quick search of Paradigm monitor 7 since I've not listed to them and after looking at the driver compliment, The Statements II should be a significant step up. So, try to get some better amplification and front end gear with quality recordings to compare the speakers before making any decisions.

Just another quick thought. Decide what your system goals are. If home theater is your main use, you'll enjoy the benefits of much greater dynamic range and clarity with the Statements II but probably not the sound quality they're capable of with top notch recordings using your present electronics. That doesn't mean you have to listen to only recordings that are highly regarded but the lessor recordings probably aren't going to blow you away. If music is a top priority, your electronics are your 1st order of business.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

• RookieBuilder
        • Feb 2017

Thanks for the speedy replies!

The speakers are part of the home theater, however I built these for music. That's where the love is!
        Listening tastes is generally a variety of 'metal' as that's a fairly broad range. Blues, classic rock, rock, and some hip hop are other favorites, and certainly not limited to that. As my preferences go there is a range from horrible recordings to truly wonderful recordings. I'm listening to the music and not picking apart the recording, however if there is more to be had then thats what I'm looking for.

I have been curious and hesitant about electronics as we all know how the internet debates go. I'm not at all opposed to an external DAC and replacing the Pioneer. I want to drink the 'all amp's of reasonable quality sound the same when used within their parameters' koolaid, but my reference points aren't through real world experience. I want to keep the chromecast audio, running optical I believe it passes an untouched digital signal, any references that suggest this isn't the case?

Ill give the Schiit modi MB a try.
        Given the double duty of 2 channel and HT any reasonable suggestions for a receiver or processor?

I will do another CD / FLAC / MP3 trial. I can also move the speakers to a different larger room for a trial, however its all hard floors and windows so I'm not sure what to expect.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Its been YEARS since I've listened to Paradigm speakers (used to own Atoms/Titans). I once demoed the Monitor 5s (I think the V2 or V3) in my house side-by-side with CJD's RS150 MTM, and his MTM was clearly better in the clarity. But, it has been years and I'm sure Paradigm has improved and narrowed the gap. But, your comments are still somewhat surprising to me.

IIRC, I used to have that Pioneer receiver. It isn't bad, but it isn't great.
          I understand why you're using Pure Direct mode, but if I remember correctly, that by-passes everything including the channel distance and possibly the channel level differences. I believe there is also a "Direct" mode that bypasses some of the dsp but leaves the distances and levels in place. With your room open on one side and not on the other, you really must have the channel level. I'm guessing that one speaker is 2db to 3db hotter than the other at listening position. And unless you're sitting dead center you may need the channel distances.

I always enjoy the experiment with setting the channel levels perfectly and seeing how pin point the imaging is and then slowly change them. It only takes a 1' difference to instantly start to change the sound field.

Playing with room placement has always paid big dividends for me. Speakers will sound good, good, good, and then you hit that spot and boom they sound great. With their open backs, I'm guessing the Statements would benefit even more for placement experiment. I'd spend some more time with moving them forward and back, then right and left, etc.

I'd also check the Chromeaudio. I know nothing of it's audio pedigree. I know it is feeding digital, which should theoretically be non-harming.... But, I heard improvements that changed my thinking about digital audio when I went from using a cheap Blue Ray player and CDs feeding my receiver with either digital or hdmi to using a Sqeezebox (and flac files) feeding the receiver with a digital audio cable. The Squeezebox and digital audio cable was clearly better, even though I was using the receiver as the DA converter the whole time. Doesn't make sense to me, but it was.

I saw a post on PE Tech Talk earlier today about your Crown amp. Wolf mentioned that his older XLS1500 has a defeatable limiter while the newer 1502 do not. And that he prefers his old XLS1500 with a defeatable limiter. So, I don't know how much of an impact the amp is having, but something to think about.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• RookieBuilder
            • Feb 2017

I've certainly tried in direct mode, it allows you to disable the EQ but leave the rest of the the DSP in play. The biggest difference I have heard here is with speakers set to small the subs integrate better, the downside is high volume there is electronics noise in direct that is not present in pure direct. Sound quality is much the same overall however. The room correction gets confused with the statements, tries to set them almost a full foot further away then they are, I believe the open back's are the culprit here. I also have a SC-1227 model pioneer receiver, I believe it to be a re-badged SC-63 Elite. Ill give that a shot this weekend and play with distances and volume trims.

Oddly enough I have a squeezebox floating around somewhere, should be a good comparison to the chromecast.

Ill look into the limiter on the amp, you are correct it was defeatable on the old model and not on the new. I understood it to only interfere just before clipping, but worth a few minutes of reading.

Also went ahead and ordered the Schiit modi multibit.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Can you explain how the Chromeaudio works and what kind of file is compressed in flac format? I have used Squeezebox for years years and currently use Touch's in my system but I'm not familiar with Chromeaudio streaming audio.

Jim

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Congrats on your Schiit purchase. Leave it on all the time. I find it gets better for about 6 hours of warming up. You realize it has no volume control, right? Run it into your Pioneer or some other preamp.

Not that it's a deal breaker, but optical connections tend to have more jitter than coax or AES/EBU. This may or may not be audible depending on you DAC's reclocking capability.

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                  Can you explain how the Chromeaudio works and what kind of file is compressed in flac format? I have used Squeezebox for years years and currently use Touch's in my system but I'm not familiar with Chromeaudio streaming audio.

Jim
                  My FLAC's are all ripped from CD using exact audio copy. With exception of damaged discs all confirmed as bit perfect copies.

The Chromeaudio has native support for FLAC, MP3, wav, aac, and more. It's output is upto 96kHz/24bit. The optical is supposed to be bit perfect. It grabs content either from the local network or Internet via WiFi. It has an internal DAC is 192kHz/24bit and gets mixed reviews on quality. Multiple units can be grouped for whole house audio. Use the app of choice on your phone/tablet to direct the CCA on where to find the content.

I find it to be easy and reliable as far as streaming players go.

Comment

• tktran
                    • Jan 2005

In my 20 years of owning hi-fi equipment, I've lived in
                    7 homes. I've had my speakers setup in about more rooms than
                    I can remember, and also given friends' my speakers for long term loan.
                    I've been through so many rooms that now, I can now make a reasonably accurate guess as to whether a particular domestic space makes for a good listening room.

The most important equipment is the room. My favourite room was 20'x30'x12',
                    And my Statement II was wonderful in this room.

The most common advice you will hear is to 'upgrade' your components. But that option is on the presumption that you are stuck In that acoustic space. It's also the common advice of hifi magazines, who's agenda is to advertise and sell equipment- so it's seen to some an essential part of the hobby, cycling through various parts in the signal chain for subtle improvements.

You can tinker around with your high performance car's components, but if you test it out in a shopping centre car park...

Do you have an opportunity to try out your speakers in a room twice to 4 times as big? Call up a friend who lives in a big house, and offer to bring over new pride and joy?
                    Even if it is for a weekend?

You'll hear your speakers soar to new heights...

Comment

• BobEllis
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

I wholeheartedly agree with the room and placement being major factors in the sound of the system. Putting my speakers in Cardas placement in a 19' x 25' x 8' room was amazing. It's also frustrating because I can't keep them set up that way. Most of us have to make the best of the space we are allotted. It sounds like Rookie is limited to that space.

Given that Rookie's equipment isn't up to the same level of performance that the Statements deliver, it makes sense to me to upgrade the electronics at the same time as Rookie makes the best of the space acoustically. I'm stuck in a multipurpose room with the system set up so my girlfriend can easily use it. Switching my good DAC into the system is still rewarding.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RookieBuilder
                        My FLAC's are all ripped from CD using exact audio copy. With exception of damaged discs all confirmed as bit perfect copies.

The Chromeaudio has native support for FLAC, MP3, wav, aac, and more. It's output is upto 96kHz/24bit. The optical is supposed to be bit perfect. It grabs content either from the local network or Internet via WiFi. It has an internal DAC is 192kHz/24bit and gets mixed reviews on quality. Multiple units can be grouped for whole house audio. Use the app of choice on your phone/tablet to direct the CCA on where to find the content.

I find it to be easy and reliable as far as streaming players go.
                        Cool, that's what I was hoping you were doing. I also stream with FLAC or WAV. Since you have an external DAC coming that should eliminate the questionable DAC issue. I do use coax digital cables but I've used optical (glass) too with satisfying results.

OK, so you asked for electronics recommendations so here goes. I'm an Emotiva fan and have a LPA-1 amp in one system and an XPA-5 in the other. They're powerful, very clean and offer great sound for a small investment compared to the exotic amps. I also have a UMC-200 HT Emotiva processor but I don't use it for music. I use a Channel Islands passive pre with home theater pass through so I can keep the signal pristine for the music side. As I said before, I use a Squeezebox Touch connected to a highly modified Lite Audio DAC-62 with a tube output which is then connected to a tube buffer. This is the system that uses the XPA-5 amp. The other system with the Anthology's is simplier and uses an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC which has a volume control, remote etc. that I like a lot for an inexpensive unit. It's connected to a tube buffer and uses the LPA-1 amp. Emotiva has a new Basix line of affordable equipment that should offer great sound at good prices.

So, that's what I use and like. Obviously you can spend much, much more on equipment. Ask Jon for recommendations. Anyway, Emotiva or Outlaw give you a lot of bang for the buck invested. A processor from either one will be a significant step up in sound quality over your Pioneer. The amps from Emotiva or Outlaw are also a significant improvement over your pro amp for music. There are also lots of older used 2-channel amps (Hafler, Adcom, B&K and many others) that are great for music and can be the basis of a 5.1 or 7.1 HT system.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

i realize the deserved popularity of Emotiva from the $ vs performance aspect.
                          having heard a few of their amps i do agree....they are a good value.

i have also heard every amp offered by Odyssey.
                          from a purely 'musicality' POV, i find them the best value for mid-level audio.
                          especially when it comes to driving speakers in the 4 ohm or lower category.
                          additionally, they are made in the USA, with as many USA sourced materials as possible.

Khartago

Name:	products-khartago-550.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	933245

Name:	amp-khartago-st-plus-in2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	933247

Stratos

Name:	products-stratos-stereo-1.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	933246

Name:	amp-stratos-st-back.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	933248

I was at Capital Audiofest last year when they had the choice of just about any brand available, & KEF decided to use Klaus's (the owner of Odyssey) amps for the US premier of their $200k Muon speakers.

Name:	20160708_105550_zps29kxvvkj.webp
Views:	382
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	933244
                          Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:37 Saturday. Reason: Update links, and image location
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                            • Feb 2017

Really positive update. Did some A/B testing with the two receivers and the difference between them was significant. The short story is a large step in the right direction, and it's fair to say that I'm much closer to any expectations I had!

Longer version; started by comparing CD to streaming from Google play music. Couldn't really tell a difference, maybe if i really wanted to believe but even with fast switching any percieved difference was lost in less than a second.

2nd step was to hook up the vsx-1018 to the paradigms with the Chromecast and the sc-1227 to the statements with the cd player. Time aligned the tracks, balanced volume, and muted one receiver. Being same brand one click of the mute would flip the audio instantly. Also handy for a 'blind' test if i didn't look at what device was muted. Listen to a variety of tracks, then swap the speaker leads so the statements were on the vsx-1018 and the paradigms were on the sc-1227.

I was surprised that the receiver would have ad much impact as it did. The statements sounded better 100% of the time with the sc1227, and by a lot. With the statements hooked up to the vsx1018 and the paradigms to the sc1227 it was a much closer contest, generally i would prefer the statements but not always. So needless to say the vsx1018 was really crippling.

Jim, thanks for the gear suggestions. I'll be doing some looking. After this eye opening test electronics are way higher on my radar. Also really looking forward to the new DAC, leaving it powered is no problem.

I'm scratching my head on a way to do some fast switching between the crown amp and the internal receiver amp. I'll have to play with that when i have the time.

Tktran, I hear what your saying and agree. But better or worse my room it is what it is... I'm planning a basement development that will give a much better space, but that could be a while out.

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

You can do a lot of different stuff to make your room behave better.
                              Building sound absorbers for your side walls is one method. Adding something to the roof is another. Carpets on the floor does also help.
                              Sound diffusers is another, as well as bass traps. You can go for DIY solution according to your best of understanding, or you might get professional help to calculate your room and recommend what you should do.
                              When obvious electronic changes has been done, that might be a reasonable way to continue...
                              Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:38 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Really positive update. Did some A/B testing with the two receivers and the difference between them was significant. The short story is a large step in the right direction, and it's fair to say that I'm much closer to any expectations I had!

Longer version; started by comparing CD to streaming from Google play music. Couldn't really tell a difference, maybe if i really wanted to believe but even with fast switching any percieved difference was lost in less than a second.

2nd step was to hook up the vsx-1018 to the paradigms with the Chromecast and the sc-1227 to the statements with the cd player. Time aligned the tracks, balanced volume, and muted one receiver. Being same brand one click of the mute would flip the audio instantly. Also handy for a 'blind' test if i didn't look at what device was muted. Listen to a variety of tracks, then swap the speaker leads so the statements were on the vsx-1018 and the paradigms were on the sc-1227.

I was surprised that the receiver would have ad much impact as it did. The statements sounded better 100% of the time with the sc1227, and by a lot. With the statements hooked up to the vsx1018 and the paradigms to the sc1227 it was a much closer contest, generally i would prefer the statements but not always. So needless to say the vsx1018 was really crippling.

Jim, thanks for the gear suggestions. I'll be doing some looking. After this eye opening test electronics are way higher on my radar. Also really looking forward to the new DAC, leaving it powered is no problem.

I'm scratching my head on a way to do some fast switching between the crown amp and the internal receiver amp. I'll have to play with that when i have the time.

Tktran, I hear what your saying and agree. But better or worse my room it is what it is... I'm planning a basement development that will give a much better space, but that could be a while out.
                                Excellent test! The good news is, I think you found out that the Statements II isn't the weak link in your journey to great sound quality.

A thought about personal experiences playing MP3's vs CD or ripped WAV/Flac songs. I've played some very nice sounding MP3's but the one difference I can always hear is a difference in depth and natural presence of the performers. If that's not important to you, you may not hear differences. When I critically listen, its the details, "natural" presence and how "real" I perceive the original performance to sound that matters to me. The closer I get to what I perceive to be "real" the happier I am.

I'm glad our collective feedback has helped!

Jim

Comment

• KramerTC
                                  • Nov 2010

I deviated from the prescribed plans in a few spots; I shortened the cabinet height by around 3.5" overall as I wanted the look of drivers close the edge of the baffle; The overall cabinet depth is 3/4" shorter; Did my own thing for the base; and the cabinets are rear ported with a cabinet tune of 26hz, mostly due to the smaller volume.
                                  Hi, your cabinet looks great! I've been wanting to build a Statements II and center but the overall size of the Statement floorstander is a tough sell for my boss. Would you mind sharing your cabinet plans?

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by KramerTC
                                    Hi, your cabinet looks great! I've been wanting to build a Statements II and center but the overall size of the Statement floorstander is a tough sell for my boss. Would you mind sharing your cabinet plans?
                                    Thanks Kramer. I don't have plans to share, I used the plans on Curt's webpage as a general guide and altered them to work for me. Cuts were figured out in pencil on the sheet of ply as I went. Trimming 3.5" from the top has no effect on construction other than cutting panels to 51.5" instead of 55". Regarding the depth reduction; Essentially I cut the sides and mid tunnel .75" less than plan. The front baffle is doubled up 18 mm Baltic birch, with exception of the mids are only a single layer as they need room to breathe, the mid tunnel runs up to the front layer of the baffle (about 15" long overall). All cuts were done with an overall depth of 15.75" in mind. The base is three layers of ply, with spikes measures at 3.25". Overall my cabinets are 5.25" shorter than plan, my tweeter center sits at 36-37" from the floor and matches my seating.

Make no mistake these are large cabinets, my changes are rather subtle. The base and height were done because it's a look I like, I don't believe it really shrinks the appearance nor did I want it to. I did the depth because my room is small and I wanted to maximize listening distance where I could without doing so much to effect the crossover. For a more svelte look search Deewan's Statement II remix build, he did an amazing job!

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                                      • Feb 2017

Eyeballing a Cambridge 851A, looks fairly competent and should integrate with my existing HT setup. Any comments good bad or other?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851a and http://www.stereophile.com/content/c...SeqFb9WOyAE.97

Also considering an Emotiva XSP-1 pre and XPA amp, more features and more power than above. I like the analog bass management option, it would let me kill my 45 hz room mode with the sub's DSP and keep the Statements near full range and unprocessed.

EDIT: Also thinking about the Cambridge 851D and 651W based on Jon's test bench threads. I don't think I could get this to integrate with my existing HT. Also despite the rational side of me that knows I don't crank the volume that loud that often the 651 seems slightly weak on power.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

Don't get too emotionally invested in a Cambridge 851D. It appears to be out of production. You might find one on the used market, but mine won't be there anytime soon.

Comment

• Pknaz
                                          • Mar 2013

Check out the Monoprice Monolith amps, they're built by ATI
                                          You can also find Emotiva amps on the used market fairly regularly over at the emo lounge

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

+1 on the Monoprice per Kal Rubinson's recent review in Stereophile.

also, i have extensive experience with Odyssey amps, which i highly recommend.

Khartago

Stratos
                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 05:41 Saturday. Reason: Update urls
                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                                              • Feb 2017

Small update; The electronics have been mostly sorted out. I found a used Cambridge 851D and put together a 2 channel Hypex NC400 amp. As a combo for 2 channel music I am impressed! I feel like I am really getting a flavor of what the statements can do, and don’t have to question the electronics anymore. The amp is dead silent. There is slight electronic hum from the 851D, no more than any other electronics I’ve used so I am assuming this is normal?

Still fighting with how to best integrate into the HT setup, but that’s not really the point here. For now I swap XLR cables at the amp to pick my source (Cambridge or Pioneer), fine for a while but not a long term solution.

In any case onto the room. 10 wide 13 foot long, left side is open to a stairwell/hallway that opens to the rest of the house. TV at the front and currently on a large wood stand. The TV will be getting wall mounted and the 57” wide stand it sits on will get downsized to something around 40” wide with open shelving, and the front subwoofers will go away. My effort is to open up the front of the room. The couch is about 18” from the back wall, putting ears are about 24” from the back. I am considering a sound absorber (DIY flavor 4.5” deep roxul fiberboard option) on the right wall and a skyline diffuser at the back wall. Depending on where I read I get contradictory information that diffusers in a small space are a bad idea or that they will improve the spaciousness of the room and that the back wall is the best option. In any case I have buy-in from the wife on that option. Any comments on the proposed room treatment?

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2005

Sounds like a great setup sure to get the best out of your statements.

My 851D is dead silent. I bet you have a ground loop.

The most likely place it developed is in your amp. Ensure that your grounding scheme exactly matches what Hypex suggests and recheck connections, reheating any that are soldered. Good luck, these are tough things to chase down.

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                                                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                  Sounds like a great setup sure to get the best out of your statements.

My 851D is dead silent. I bet you have a ground loop.

The most likely place it developed is in your amp. Ensure that your grounding scheme exactly matches what Hypex suggests and recheck connections, reheating any that are soldered. Good luck, these are tough things to chase down.
                                                  You could be right, fixed my soldering twice already... Everything I can think of on the amp end checks out. Wiring is per Hypex spec. Grounds are clean and have continuity. Amp is silent with the inputs closed (jumper pin 2/3 of the XLR). There is a mild hum from the speakers with an open input on the amp. I have an email into Hypex to confirm that a little bit of noise with an open input is normal, I believe it is however this isn't my strong suit.

With the 851D hooked up and turned off everything is silent, turn on the 851D and the hum is present, mute the 851D and things go silent again. Basically the only noise I get in the system is when there is a signal present from the 851. To put this into perspective, the hum is only audible within a couple of inches from the tweeter, it is not at all a nuisance rather than something that I will fix if I can.

Comment

• RookieBuilder
                                                    • Feb 2017

Finishing work

Update: Finally bought and finished the veneer on these!
                                                    I had originally purchased some mahogany veneer and was never happy with how it looked. I setup the speakers and let them sit as raw plywood for about 9 months, I accepted that I was going to pay more than I had first thought for a finish I liked, decided on this black limba veneer.

Name:	IMG_20170928_185525 - Copy.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	863269

I had a rough idea on how I wanted it to look, but mocking up the options anyways

Name:	IMG_20171009_104925 - Copy.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	863270

Veneer was glued on with titebond and an iron, the near speaker has the first coat of water based poly on it. This is the second project that I have veneered, I'm glad I had some practice as I had one almost major whoops, there is a subtle wrinkle on one of the round overs, luckily I caught it soon enough that you cant tell unless specifically looking for it. My last project, I had the same issue and went further making a small wrinkle into a major wrinkle.

I went with water based poly because I wanted the woods colour to show without being tinted with oil.

Name:	IMG_20171015_102914 - Copy.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	863271

From the back, if I was to do it again I would trim the veneer to run deeper into mid tunnel, as it sits the foam doesn't quite reach the veneer (not that anyone is looking at the back)

Name:	IMG_20171015_183613 - Copy.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	863272

Finished product, updated electronics, updated cabinet, wall mounted the screen, all the little details brought things together. One of my goals was to let the mid tunnels breath as best possible given my small area. I am really satisfied with these as a whole.

Name:	IMG_20171017_205711 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	863273

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

They look stunning! Great work!

We always welcome listening impressions too. Give them 20+ hours to break in and give them a serious listen.

Enjoy!

Jim

Comment

• scottvalentin
                                                        • May 2015

Wow those are really incredible looking - maybe the nicest statements I've seen! Beautiful beautiful choice of veneer and well done.

Comment

• heapatrouble
                                                          • Feb 2009

Like the OP, I'm a Chromecast user, and I'd like to post some observations about digital streaming from Google Play vs. iTunes as well as the differences between DACs.

1. There's no comparison between streaming from Google Play vs iTunes. in a/b comparisons on my own system as well as on another using an upper end couple-years-old Marantz receiver driving B&W 800 series bookshelf speakers, Google play wins easily.
                                                          2. DACs make a huge difference. I've been waiting a long time for the whole HDMI 2.x/HDCP 2.x/4k SUHD market to stabilize a bit before I purchase a new surround processor and television. For right now, though, I'm using an 8 year old Onkyo receiver driving a Parasound power amp. For casual listening, I usually stream from my Chromecast. However, when I picked up my LG V20 phone, I decided I wanted to do a comparison between the 24/192 Burr-Brown DACs on my Onkyo vs the ESS Sabre 32/384 quad DAC in my phone. Put simply, the phone spanks the Burr-Brown all hollow. And the differences aren't subtle, even using very basic cables. And there's a big difference between my CD player and my phone playing lossless files. The phone is better by far. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to a time when it's prudent to upgrade to a new pre-amp and improve the digital side of my system.

Like others here, I'd say that your speakers would benefit from a better front end in your system, but also, I would suggest that improving your source material would make a big difference as well. Certainly, I think the expense would be justified by the improvements in your listening experience and you'd probably see those beautiful speakers in a whole new light.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"