X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chupa
    • Aug 2016

Statements 2 build

Hi there! Long time reader, first post.

After finishing my first pair of speakers (Zaph's BS3), I thought I'd step up and build something more challenging.

I've read a lot of great things about the Statements, and decided to jump straight in. I bought the components (including pre-assembled crossovers) from Meniscus Audio, and found a wood supplier who would pre-cut (but not do holes and routing) the MDF I need. Because they sell 32mm MDF (I'm in Australia - everything's metric over here), I decided to use these instead of gluing together 2 sheets for the baffles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_085058 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	872043

I got the mid channels up first

Name:	IMG_20160612_111403.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	872044

And assembled them, and the braces:

Name:	IMG_20160701_111728 (1).jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	872045

Name:	IMG_20160710_101249 (1).jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	872046

I had a few attempts at the baffles (whoops), but eventually got them looking approximately correct:

Name:	IMG_20160710_164717 (1).jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	872047

More to follow
  • chupa
    • Aug 2016

Today, I've started putting the boxes together, and have finally finished (I hope) cutting the baffles - trimming them down will come later of course.

Name:	IMG_20160806_121633.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	862162

Name:	IMG_20160806_142441.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	862163

I'll update this thread as I continue these things (it'll take a while), but a question for now:

I have wooden floors at the moment. I'm thinking that I will felt the bottom of the speakers, but should I raise them? (and by how much?). I've cut a fairly big channel to the back under the port. In short, I'm not quite sure what to do at the bottom, and am happy to take suggestions.

Thanks

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Welcome to the open participation in the forum, Chupa. Keep the progress pictures coming.

The port needs some room to breathe. A channel in the bottom and speakers only raised off the floor by a layer of felt will affect the port tuning, and the restricted area could cause chuffing. I'm guessing Jim and Curt will chime in on minimum, but I'd say you want to give it the same breathing room as if mounted on spikes, say 30-40 mm minimum. You can use rubber or wooden feet to eliminate marring your floors. Something about the usual practice of spikes on pads seems counterproductive to me.
      Last edited by BobEllis; 06 August 2016, 11:54 Saturday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Welcome to the Statements family! Bob's advice is spot on. The base tunnel really opens it up so the port can breath but getting it off the floor will eliminate any possibility of chuffing. I've been using these rubber feet when I needed to protect the floor. They're inexpensive and work well. The link is to the USA Amazon website but I assume that they are also offered in your country.

The build looks great and I really enjoy the great documentation and pictures.

Jim

Comment

• Sefferdog
          • Apr 2006

Looking good! If you love yours half as much as I enjoy mine you are in for a treat. I built mine way back when Jim first introduced them, and they have been my main set since. I have built and listened to several other designs, but these just have the "it" factor for me.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Sefferdog
            Looking good! If you love yours half as much as I enjoy mine you are in for a treat. I built mine way back when Jim first introduced them, and they have been my main set since. I have built and listened to several other designs, but these just have the "it" factor for me.
            It's good to see you still check in here once in a while. As always, thank you for the very kind words and best of all we're extremely pleased that you're still enjoying the Statements as much as we do. :T

Jim

Comment

• Pknaz
              • Mar 2013

Nice, glad I'm not the only one building these right now. You're making excellent progress!

As far as raising the speakers off the floor, I think I'm going to go with something like this: http://www.oregondv.com/Outriggers.htm
              I'm not sure if these exact ones will be available down under, but I would imagine you could have them fabricated pretty easily.

Comment

• Pknaz
                • Mar 2013

Oh, and make sure to glue in those hurricane nuts! I can't tell you how awful it is when one of those comes out of the wood, you're basically screwed. I've seen some people use epoxy, and others just use a blob of glue to hold them in.

Comment

• chupa
                  • Aug 2016

OK Thanks everyone! I'll keep the thread alive as I make (slow) progress.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"