Ochocinco build thread: Building 3 MTM's - Completed -

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faralon
    • Jan 2014

Almost done painting the last cabinet. The thinned out acrylic is flowing very nice. It's not finishing completely flat (which I didn't want), I would call it more of a leather like texture. I'm very pleased! The semi gloss shine/reflection is coming out great too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F06A5619-ACD0-4A19-A9D9-64F0E56EE714_zpsfo8varuh.webp
Views:	70
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	934862

Name:	133224D7-DE3B-4079-AF98-83772F469D4D_zpsh4yz8qyc.webp
Views:	68
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	934863

Name:	3AB40441-3C5E-42EE-B703-252493DC3C3E_zpsag9spyq2.webp
Views:	67
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	934864
    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:17 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Thats nice! Very good work!
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Faralon
        • Jan 2014

You know you're getting close when you're building stands! I cut, sanded, stained, assembled these tonight. Used some 2x12's I had laying around, and spent $15 at HD for some 2x8's and 2x6's.

Name:	4CD86A78-057B-4AE5-8C97-A084682D117C_zpskm6dkrhl.webp
Views:	64
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	934840
        Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:07 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Those will work. Almost there.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Faralon
            • Jan 2014

And then there was SOUND! Initial impressions are "Stunning". Symbols, Rim Shots, Mids and Bass are all beyond what I had thought. The listening will continue as we break em' in. I love the sealed box, and the fact that I don't have to worry about spacing them out from the wall. Incredible sound for such an affordable build. Very pleased! I would recommend these to a friend to build w/o question. Thanks Ryan and CJD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0098_zps522db97d.webp Views:	0 Size:	24.2 KB ID:	934830

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0113_zps90bfe830.webp Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	934831

Name:	DSC_0099_zps515d0c4b.webp
Views:	72
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	934832

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0100_zps93e00c3f.webp Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	934833

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0108_zpsd7ad0815.webp Views:	0 Size:	12.0 KB ID:	934834

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0109_zps09aaafc1.webp Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	934835

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0124_zpsc5536dd8.webp Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	934836

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0115_zpsbd58564a.webp Views:	0 Size:	18.3 KB ID:	934837

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0116_zps072f4d94.webp Views:	0 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	934838

The Bose speakers that they replace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6BDBC346-52BA-4847-B9A6-AEC37A268430_zpswa6dq9st.webp Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	934839
            Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:06 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I'm glad you like them. They look great.

One thing I would recommend with the center channel, Pull the center out, so there isn't the lip above it. And, see if you can fill in the sides with something solid. Try and adjust things so that there are flat surfaces all around the face. Try and make it more like an in-wall. See this post to see what putting the speaker in a cavity like that will do to the sound. It isn't pretty. And it definitely is audible. https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...mp-Baffle-Step Maybe it is time for a new entertainment center?

Then be sure to experiment with placement. Generally, Tweeters in improved but narrower sweet spot. Tweeters out, slightly less but wider sweetspot. The differences are so minor, might never hear. Toe in more and brighter, toe out and more off axis so it can take some edge off the top end. Closer to the wall more bass reinforcement, but you get a null in the frequency response. Pull out away from the wall and the less bass reinforcement but that null moves around.

Now where is the subwoofer???
              Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:19 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url
              - Ryan

Comment

• BeerParty
                • Oct 2008

Good job
                Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Nice!

Keep an ear on that tweeter, we've had some funky business already and over-emphasized cymbal and such are a key way to identify when something's needing a bit of tuning - they eventually grate on your ears. They've very crisp regardless, and it may just be you're not used to hearing them like this.
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

IIRC, those ND140 do take a little break in time too.
                    - Ryan

Comment

• Faralon
                      • Jan 2014

K / CJD, if I want to bring back the tweeter just a bit, what change would you suggest to the x-over? I think I'm having the issue where there a little to sharp. Thanks!

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

I got ideas, but who knows if they are the best. I'll waiting to let CJD answer. I'm sure he'll be through soon. I keep looking at the amount of stuffing you have in your boxes and wondering if you're overdamped and could be changing the balance that way. I really don't know, but it is always a fear of mine since it is a such an unknown. My Ocho boxes were pretty lightly lined with R13. Hopefully C can comment on that too.
                        - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Which crossover variation did you use?

Comment

• Faralon
                            • Jan 2014

Good question. I used V2. Should I just go back and try V1? I'm not sure I remember what the change was trying to accomplish.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

No, it's unlikely that would help at all - V2 came about due to a change in drivers (it seems) that left V1 being VERY hot on the top. I'd start by adding series impedance at R1 on the tweeter - try 8ohm perhaps, for starters.

Have you tried JUST the L+R no center? If the center is in the mix, the placement could suck out enough midrange to make them seem top heavy.

This issue seems vaguely persistent, suggesting a redo with the new Dayton tweeters in a similar price range might be beneficial - at least it's their issue if their shit stops being consistent, and they sorta cater to that. Plus, I could do the 3-ways I have been mulling.

Make sure you don't have trebel controls cranked up, no receiver based adjustments left from older speakers... Audyssey or whatever it is, or similar.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"