X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Ochocinco TM's made me happy

I wanted to share an update on one of my projects, since it has been a while and maybe some people haven't seen them.

The original name challenged Ochocincos MTM along with a MT were built for my brother. I called the whole project the The Sietecerocero Project! http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...C06-MTM-amp-TM and http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...inco-TM-Take-2. These were low budget / high value speakers. I liked these speakers well enough that when I need a pair of budget speakers for myself, I decided on the TM.

Mine were built these last winter. They are a sealed box built in a tower. I used ply for the sides with a solid maple front. (More info / photos at the end of the design thread.) I listened to them some last year, but never really got around to turning the dial to 11 and putting them through their paces. We'll I was alone this weekend and after tearing down a bedroom wall and getting some drywall work done I decided I needed a good break. It was time to see how they perform and Netflix had just delivered Bourne Legacy. Perfect!

Right now, it is just a 2.0 setup. The setup had never been calibrated, so I started by letting my Denon receiver run the Audyssey, taking measurements at 6 locations. I set the EQ to 'flat'. Even through it is just a small sealed woofer, Audyssey was measuring enough bass to want to set them to Large. I originally left it as Large, but during some initial listening I thought it was a little muddy at volume. I set it to small with a 40hz crossover to take some of the bass woofer and I think it cleaned things up.

Anyway, I turned the dial to -10 and sat back for the movie. After 2 hours, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the sound. Obviously these don't deliver what the Khans do, but they turned in a very satisfying performance. First and foremost, they sounded right. The tone was neither bright nor warm. Imagining was spot on and they did provide some real 3-d placement of sounds throughout the room. The dialog was clear and understandable. A rifle shot in one scene was delivered with crispness and impact. Even without a sub and a 40hz crossover in place, there was bass impact to explosions. I never really felt like I was missing something. I ended the movie very satisfied. ... and glad my wife wasn't present because she would have seriously been questioning my 5-foot tall monoliths in the other family room.
    Attached Files
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

Excellent write up.

It is nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of one's labor, isn't it?
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"