X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NPF
    • Nov 2011

Stentorians - Shop Speakers Underway!

After seeing these go by a couple weeks ago, I thought, wow these would make the perfect shop speakers! A few weeks later the parts were in and now I'm under way. These "were" going to be "cheap" shop speakers just using standard MDF for box construction. This was true until I went to the hardwood store for something else and noticed this extremely nice vertical grain carbonized solid core bamboo plywood. After stewing over it for almost an hour I decided what the heck and just do it. The only plywood that was more expense was the Teak plywood (by a couple of bucks). So, that just doubled the cost of the project. So much for cheap. But they should look awesome when done. The box is constructed using standard dado and rabbit joints. The box is constructed out of 1/2 inch MDF on the sides and 3/4 inch front and back then followed by the 1/2 bamboo plywood. The MDF portion was bonded up first and then the plywood added after. Just got done routing out the holes for the drivers...to perfection! :W If you are looking for a router I would highly recommend the Bosch 1619 router! It is truly quite the router for doing everything. Makes quick work and accurate work out of everything thrown it's way! Next is to round the corners and sand her down for finish and then build up the bases.
    Does anybody out there have any experience in finishing Bamboo plywood? Does it take stain very well? I'm thinking not, but might be able to do a wash coat first... or maybe I will just do a clear finish... Any opinions out there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020892R.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	870974 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020901R.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	870975

Name:	P1020907R.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	870976 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020914R.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	870977
    Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:32 Monday. Reason: Update image location
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Those are starting to look great. I would love to see larger photos. :T
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Isn't the bamboo ply nice?

I'd practice/experiment on some scrap pieces first- I've just used clear lacquer for an exposed finish- turns out pretty nice!

Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:34 Monday. Reason: Update image location
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• NPF
        • Nov 2011

So, how are you guys embedding pictures into your posts? Obviously I don't do this much...
        Attaching image seems to have an insane size limit of 100KB... trying to get a picture down to that size is well, exactly what you see. Here I will try this again. This time I reduced the size down to 1200X675 rather than 400 X 225 and then dropped the quality of the jpeg down quite a bit. Maybe this will help some...

Hmm, yea those do look pretty nice with just the clear coat on them. Looks like they darkened up some with the finish which I also like. I suppose I just need to decide if I like the wood lighter or darker. For sure will try it out on some scraps first - that is always a good idea :W Not to many scraps left out of the sheet though...which is a good thing considering the price.

Name:	P1020892RR.JPG
Views:	1413
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	857119

Name:	P1020901RR.JPG
Views:	1384
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	857120

Name:	P1020907RR.JPG
Views:	1358
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	857121

Name:	P1020914RR.JPG
Views:	1420
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	857122
        Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:33 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I have bamboo flooring and have messed with the scraps some.

It does take a stain, but IMO it looks best with just clearcoat - especially if you got carbonized (which is steam treated to get the color).

I like my Bosch 1617 quite a bit. The 1619 has a bit more power.

It looks really good so far though! And I agree. Bigger pics! That huge C-clamp is awesome too!
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• CADman_ks
            • Jan 2012

I'm not the only one then...

Glad to see that someone else is actually making these speakers for their shop!! I started this thread about the same thing:

OK... Been lurking around, on and off, for a while (over a year), and finally joined. GREAT SITE!!! There's just so much GREAT information out there, that it just about makes a guys head hurt!! :) A lot of the information out there is for filling up "normal" sized rooms, like living rooms or home theaters, or such

Couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) How big is your shop? L X W X H.

2) How much power are you going to push them with?

Seeing all of your pics with the big weights makes me happy that I brought home some HEAVY 3/8" plates from work the other day, that were destined for the scrap bin. Didn't know what I was going to do with at the time, but I couldn't just stand to see them being pitched...

CADman_ks
            Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:34 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url
            CADman_ks
            - Stentorian build...
            - Ochocinco build...
            - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Attaching image seems to have an insane size limit of 100KB... trying to get a picture down to that size is well, exactly what you see. Here I will try this again. This time I reduced the size down to 1200X675 rather than 400 X 225 and then dropped the quality of the jpeg down quite a bit. Maybe this will help some...
              I just edited your last post and copied the URL address of the images and pasted in image references (the picture icon in the tool bar).

This displays your uploads at full resolution inline in the post.

Images are limited to 100K, it's a space and expense issue on the server; a convenient way I find to hit that size target easily is use an editor like Adobe Lightroom (Maybe Adobe Elements supports this?) in the export function specify a max pixel dimension, and a maximum image size; Lightroom 3 takes care of the rest.

I do post some larger images from time to time, but I host them on my own leased server space on Virtual Avenue.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

I use Graphic Converter in resizing photos. Just open the photo and use the "save for web" in the file menu. A window opens and allows you to adjust pixels and quality, to resize it to 95kb, and it shows the file size. It's also easy. But it's only available on the Mac platform I think.
                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• NPF
                  • Nov 2011

Update

Didn't get a lot done today with all the other stuff going on, but did get the corners rounded over and started in on the bases. These are starting to look pretty nice with out any finish on them or even sanded down yet...

Name:	P1020935RR.JPG
Views:	1326
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	857123

Name:	P1020936RR.JPG
Views:	1336
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	857124

Yes, I actually do understand the size constraint on the pictures...I was just having fun complaining that is all. Isn't this the 21st century? haha...

CADman_ks, I saw your post... sorry I think my shop doesn't even come close to a comparison to what you have. My shop is 24 deep by 26 wide and 16 ft high. Basically a two car detach garage. At some point I think I will add another bay and a half. But that is down stream. If I were you I would look at what Eric mentioned and give it some thought. But, then again I usually like the non conventional and creative solutions and really don't mind if something is totally proven out or not - in the end I usually find a way to make it work. I tend to learn a lot more by going out on a limb. Anyways, as they say, "Opinions are cheap, everybody has one".

As far as power goes... Zero watts right now. I will ether go on craigs list and look for an amp or use use the one in my house setup and replace that with something else. Amps go for dirt cheap on craigs list with everything being converted over to the HDMI now days and the encryption coding that goes with it...
                  Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:35 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• CADman_ks
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NPF
                    .... If I were you I would look at what Eric mentioned and give it some thought. But, then again I usually like the non conventional and creative solutions and really don't mind if something is totally proven out or not - in the end I usually find a way to make it work. I tend to learn a lot more by going out on a limb. Anyways, as they say, "Opinions are cheap, everybody has one".
                    After the day that I had yesterday, I decided that someone was telling me something, and I ordered all the parts to make some Stentorians!, but from what I learned out in the shop, I do think that would have been a good way to go too.

But, this is my first speaker project ever, and canned out of the box, is a good way to get your feet wet...

CADman_ks
                    CADman_ks
                    - Stentorian build...
                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by NPF
                      Yes, I actually do understand the size constraint on the pictures...I was just having fun complaining that is all. Isn't this the 21st century? haha...
                      Thanks for the photos. I think they look great. Those are going to be nice speakers.

As for this being the 21st century, I know were all joking around here. But I'm going to jump on my soap box about one of my pet peeves. I don't have a problem with the 100k limit. As you just shown, it can be done without problems. I think lazy software designers, bad software design, lazy / ignorant users, under-pressure marketing departments, and a few other conditions have created a significant problem that keeps getting attacked with bull dozer rather than the appropriate sized hammer. Laws of physics are going to catch up with us eventually. I hope we can re-train ourselves when the time comes. Help spread the word, "compress your dang photos!"
                      - Ryan

Comment

• Brendan_L
                        • Sep 2006

Cut Sheet?

Has any one gone so far as to make a cut sheet for the Stentorians?

Curt's web page has a nice set of dimensions but if someone has already drawn one, I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

I have 2 very nice sheets of Birch plywood in the shop waiting for the saw blade.

It may be a mistake as they are for my 12 yr old.
                        Going to power them with an Onkyo 609 receiver.
                        At least he doesn't have a subwoofer!

Comment

• BeerParty
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Brendan_L
                          Has any one gone so far as to make a cut sheet for the Stentorians?

Curt's web page has a nice set of dimensions but if someone has already drawn one, I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

I have 2 very nice sheets of Birch plywood in the shop waiting for the saw blade.
                          Attached are the cut-sheets I made for the standard cabinet with centered tweeter. I use 'cutlist', and can post the source file if you would like.

Name:	Stentorians Sheet1.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	857171

Name:	Stentorians Sheet2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	857172
                          Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:36 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                          Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                          My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• CADman_ks
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BeerParty
                            Attached are the cut-sheets I made for the standard cabinet with centered tweeter. I use 'cutlist', and can post the source file if you would like.
                            I actually cut mine a little bit different than that, but that's a good usage of the sheets. It DOES take a minimum 1 full sheet, and 1/2 sheet.

HOWEVER, if you're going to double up the fronts to 1 1/2", then you'll need more out of the second sheet.

I decided to double mine, and the only thing that I had was 3/4" MDF for everything.

CADman_ks
                            CADman_ks
                            - Stentorian build...
                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• NPF
                              • Nov 2011

Bases completed...

Slower progress this week as had a lot going on but did get the bases finished up. Decided I need to complicate the project some so went for some compound angles just to make sure it wasn't going to be to mundane. These will be fastened on. Pictures should show them well enough. The taper should make them pretty stable. I plan to use these as shop speakers for the most part, but want to be able to take these as travel speakers if need be. I think this is going to work out great.

Name:	P1020942RR.JPG
Views:	1236
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	857173

Name:	P1020952RR.JPG
Views:	1329
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	857174

Name:	P1020957RR.JPG
Views:	1287
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	857175

Name:	P1020961RR.JPG
Views:	1500
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	857176

I really didn't go to the trouble of a cut sheet for this one. I did it a bit different anyways so it wouldn't have worked for you. I used a combo of 1/2 and 3/4 MDF and 1/2 ply. I did manage to only use one sheet of the bamboo plywood. The only scraps that are left can be seen next to the base on the table saw. Came out pretty good scrap wise if you asked me! The back is just 3/4 MDF - so no ply back there. I'm going to paint this area flat black. The sides were 1/2 mdf with the ply overlay. Anyways, plenty strong enough for these babies.

Now onto the crossover and get these fired up before pulling back apart and finishing them. The crossover will go in the bases for easy access.
                              Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:35 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonW
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Wait. So you're building speakers for the shop... which is where you build speakers. That, my friend, is dedication. ;x(

They look gorgeous, by the way. I like the bamboo.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JonW
                                  Wait. So you're building speakers for the shop... which is where you build speakers. ....
                                  Ditto here.

I'm doing the same thing. Now mine don't look quite as nice as his, which are GREAT looking, BTW, but you gots to have speaks in the shop. You do...

Mine don't sit on the ground either, mine are up attached to the walls, so that they are out of harms way.

CADman_ks
                                  CADman_ks
                                  - Stentorian build...
                                  - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NPF
                                    Slower progress this week as had a lot going on but did get the bases finished up. Decided I need to complicate the project some so went for some compound angles just to make sure it wasn't going to be to mundane. These will be fastened on. Pictures should show them well enough. The taper should make them pretty stable.

Now onto the crossover and get these fired up before pulling back apart and finishing them. The crossover will go in the bases for easy access.
                                    LOL on the complicatin' things!

I think that they build time on Curt's web site is 8-12 hours. Now, that might not be that far off, IF you knew what you were doing, and had done this before. Me, not so much. But, I have to figure everything out the first time thru, and I have to build jigs fixtures, yada yada yada, and I just generally have to "learn" how to to do this. I don't care if you're an experienced wood worker or not, if you've never build "something" like this before, it takes time to figure it out.

DUDE! You have some righteous clampage! I got a lot of clamps, but I don't have that many! You also have a killer table saw! Hopefully, when mine is in it's "permanent" location, it will have table all around it like yours. That's the way to go with a table saw...

LOOKS GREAT!!!

CADman_ks
                                    CADman_ks
                                    - Stentorian build...
                                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• mattsk8
                                      • Oct 2011

Those are looking really good :T ! Can't wait till you get em wired up and hear your impressions on how they sound. I considered these as well. Heard they're ridiculously loud which will make for a great shop speaker. Kind of ironic how loving quality sound is so defeating; what I mean is, I'm 36 and my wife already tells me I'm deaf. Years of enjoying great sound waaaay too loud, a few too many front row concerts, and working w/ power tools all day doesn't help matters much either!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use your shop for? Hobby or full time woodworking?
                                      If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life :T

Comment

• joeybutts
                                        • Sep 2009

Great looking work!! Love the bases and the bamboo is fantastic. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Comment

• Tieftoener
                                          • Oct 2011

Such a great job! The pedestal/stabilizer looks fantastic Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                            • Jan 2012

NPF,

Have you gotten yours together yet and gave a listen?

I completed mine last night, and I just wondered what your listening impressions were. I only had them in the house, though. I haven't listened to them yet in my shop.

I still need to take mine apart and give my cabs some kind of treatment, so they don't look quite so tacky...

CADman_ks
                                            CADman_ks
                                            - Stentorian build...
                                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Bear
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonW
                                              Wait. So you're building speakers for the shop... which is where you build speakers. That, my friend, is dedication. ;x(
                                              The first project for The Shop is always setting up The Shop... :T
                                              Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• NPF
                                                • Nov 2011

So, there was some delay here... shoveling snow all week - come home shovel and then do it all again the next day and the next...and then we had an ice storm (freezing rain) that took out a ton of trees and power along with it. It is kinda like a war zone out here from the aftermath... but that is what I get for living back in the woods. Anyways, finally got power back on and got these put together tonight. These will have to come back apart to finish them... still working on that part as far what I think I want. Sorry, pictures not the best this time around... need to wait for natural light and also to finish these first.

Name:	P1030273RR.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	857226

Name:	P1030275RR.JPG
Views:	976
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	857227

Impressions should always wait after a bit, but I will say this much: I can definitely tell the tweets are on the cheap side of things... not surprising though and exactly what I expected. Sound a bit hollow to my ear. But, as I said for the price they are not to bad and is what I expected! Now on the other hand these babies do exactly what Curt claims - you can turn them up...and up...and up and they keep on going without a hint of distortion. So perfect for my application I think. As far as bass out put: well of course it is lacking but Curt never made any claims on bass out put for these. But with the sub going these sound awesome at high volume... so I guess I need to now make a sub for the shop to go with these guys (I think this will actually have to wait or do with out for now - way to many other projects going all at the same time).

So, yes you guys are right this project kinda got in the way of other projects going on in the shop which were temporary put on hold for these to get done.

Matt, some things you do not need to justify - lets just say boys need their toys... so, yes hobby/ tool for general projects I tend to work on.

Nate
                                                Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 09:36 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• NPF
                                                  • Nov 2011

O, by the way the security hall scene in the matrix is flat out awesome with these speakers with a sub and all cranked up...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by NPF
                                                    O, by the way the security hall scene in the matrix is flat out awesome with these speakers with a sub and all cranked up...
                                                    And that's what matters. :T

Love that scene.
                                                    - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"