X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outbackjimnt
    • May 2009

Zaph's ZD5's and Troels Gravesens Peerless/Vifa together

All

For my first DIY speaker build, I thought it best to delay the build of Zaph's ZD5's and start with Troels Gravesens Peerless 830860 + Vifa XT25TG design.
    All being successful I will move on to build the ZD5's. I am quite keen on both designs and would like an opinion on using the ZD5's as front L/R and the TG's as surrounds for a HT setup. Not sure on the sub yet. I will be driving this with a Cambridge Audio 340R. 50/50 music/movies usage.

Help for the newbie will be appreciated.

Jim
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

I don't see how either of these designs designs could be classified 'easy' and or 'difficult'. They seem virtually identical with regard to construction.

If you have a very small room and or are listening nearfield, it might work of have HT main speakers using a single 5-1/4" midwoofer. Given how little air these small drivers are able to move, my recommendation is look for design with more and or bigger drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dave Bullet
      • Jul 2007

Fancy cabinets (ie. slanted / stepped baffles or curved sides etc...) usually mean harder speakers to build - not fancier crossovers. Don't be put off by a ladder delay network in the ZD5. Just lay it out and check it both ends - working from amp to drivers then from drivers to amp. Finally finish with a DMM resistance check just to make sure you don't have a short. Better still an impedance sweep to see if it matches the designed target.

Comment

• outbackjimnt
        • May 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I will proceed as planned.

Jim

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
          • Mar 2010

RE: Troels Peerless 830860 + Vifa XT25TG?

Jim,
          Did you end up building Troels Peerless 830860 + Vifa XT25TG design? I haven't seen many posts about it, that's why I'm digging up your old thread - probably better to wait a year to ask somebody's opinion about a speaker anyway

Originally posted by ThomasW
          I don't see how either of these designs designs could be classified 'easy' and or 'difficult'...
          From Zaph's website regarding the ZD5: "This project and article is not recommended for beginning DIY'ers."

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by SpeakerGuy
            Jim,
            Did you end up building Troels Peerless 830860 + Vifa XT25TG design? I haven't seen many posts about it,
            Jim hasn't logged onto the forum in more than a year
            From Zaph's website regarding the ZD5: "This project and article is not recommended for beginning DIY'ers."
            That doesn't effect my opinion.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
              • Mar 2010

And?
              Well, I guess you're right - but in the unlikely event that there was an inductor or cap out of spec., the ZD5 would be trickier to troubleshoot.

Troel's speaker is simpler, and a lot cheaper. Since he wants two sets of speakers anyway, makes sense to "practice" on that one first, no?

Anyway, I hope he's suceeded in building both and has some comments for us :T

Jim hasn't logged onto the forum in more than a year.
              Oh - too bad. Well then I'll see if I can build Troel's Peerless / XT25 design myself in a timely manner and report back... I don't have any of the Scan Speak woofers to try the ZD5, unfortunately.

Comment

• johngalt47
                • Apr 2007

IMHO, the crossover was not that hard to build because I put the tweeter section on a separate board from the woofer section.

Comment

• outbackjimnt
                  • May 2009

Jim is back into the ZD5 build

All

Jim is back after losing his way and allowing life's distractions to unfocus one's desire.

I have now bought the scanspeaks and vifa's and have the cut-out plan ready for the 19" ply. I was about to start buying the xo components when I came across a kit for the ZD5's from Madisound. Has anyone had any experience with these? Would a better result be obtained from sourcing the components individually?

Jim

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by outbackjimnt
                    All

Jim is back after losing his way and allowing life's distractions to unfocus one's desire.

I have now bought the scanspeaks and vifa's and have the cut-out plan ready for the 19" ply. I was about to start buying the xo components when I came across a kit for the ZD5's from Madisound. Has anyone had any experience with these? Would a better result be obtained from sourcing the components individually?

Jim
                    Welcome back.

Madisound usually does pretty decent kit components and that holds true here, though I'm not sure where the NPE caps are used or how big a deal they might be. If you're picky or into the pursuit of less tangible and more audiophile-ish cap, coil, or resistor differences, you may prefer assembling the parts yourself.

If you're interested in gaining the exerience assembling a crossover and think this may be the start of many builds, it may be worth choosing the parts yourself for no other reason. Practice is good. But I don't htink you'd go wrong buying the pre-assembled XO either.

C
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• borderdad
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                      Finally finish with a DMM resistance check just to make sure you don't have a short.
                      which points do you measure from to check resistance? Start to finish from input to speaker? Is there a set value or do they just need to match? I built these several years ago and always wanted to test them somehow. I wrote to Z and asked, before reading his email policy...

Kevin
                      Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• outbackjimnt
                        • May 2009

C

Ended up buying the Madisound pre-built xo kit as I want to get these puppies built this year. I have just found some spare dollars and thought it would be a good opportunity to get a new AV receiver for the ZD5's. I have been reading the various reviews around and it seems that the Pioneer SC-65 (LX56K in OZ) gets a pretty good wrap. Anyone with any thoughts on how the ZD5's would sound??

Jim

Comment

• johngalt47
                          • Apr 2007

I experimented with the series resistor in the tweeter network. Go up or down .5 ohms at a time until you are comfortable with the highs. I ended up with 1 ohm more than the stock value.

Comment

• craigk
                            • Dec 2007

just reading the thread and thought i would toss in my opinion. first with a sub the ZD5's crossed at around 80 hz will play as loud as you care to listen to them. i have a 2way design using the 15W8530K00 and the hiquphon 2 tweeter in a 16L cab, i play them very loud in a large room with no problem, xover'd at 70hz to a velodyne DD-10 sub. if i were going to set up a nice HT system i would use ZD5's for fronts and backs and use one for the center (use small box, not floor stander) as well. systems usually sound better if you stick with the same drivers for all speakers.

Comment

• outbackjimnt
                              • May 2009

Ended up with an Cambridge Audio Azur 551R-B to drive the ZD5's. Decided to use 19mm BB hoop pine and are getting them cut at the moment. I will make 3 floor standers this time and use 1 for the centre.
                              Last edited by outbackjimnt; 09 October 2013, 08:25 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"