X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

You can use NP electrolytics- Tony does for the LF Zobels. I'm looking around to see if I can find something better than garden variety ones.

Keep in mind this is a "proof of concept" first pass done with test box data. Component values can and probably will change. In comparison, 200 uF NP Electrolytics are $3-4 each. You can get 1000 uF NP, but I wouldn't use a single cap because of the ESR and dissipation factor. Paralleling is better.

Hate to say it, but you know, sometimes there's a reason some commercial speakers cost $20K a pair. Though I will do the design for the RS drivers, I don't really think anyone's likely to go there- considering what you need to spend elsewhere. As Steen Duelund said, you should expect to spend as much or more on the crossover filter as for the drivers. Most DIY people don't think that way, obviously- often its about saving cost. For a simple two way, that can work out pretty well. For a three way with a wide band midrange, things may not be so simple.

And of course, for a tube amp, this would be far more benign to drive. :W
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
      If you're going to be use all film caps and air core inductors, I take it the crossover will be external?
      Who said I'm using all air core inductors? :W I didn't.

At this time I'm not planning on putting the crossover external- I've reserved a lot of space in the bottom of the cabinet. Of course, by the time it's electrically designed, and I have the parts in hand, I may feel otherwise!

BTW, here's the impedance for the C79 that the crossover network sees after the affect of the zobel LCR and RC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	C79Z-Plot.PNG
Views:	4568
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	853603

Click image for larger version

Name:	C79Z-ZobelSchem.PNG
Views:	1382
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	853604

The actual midrange crossover is quite simple because of the combination of acoustical and electrical filters, AND the fact that there's no big impedance bump at the LF resonance of the driver.

The Q of the resonance one is compensating determines the spread of L and C needed to tune correctly, and their values.

Now this was just sealed test box data- not the ported Ardent enclosure- so values will change for this network. Just sit tight and relax... with any luck, they won't get any worse. :B

One other reminder- in an LCR zobel, DCR of the inductor is unimportant and can be quite high- so the coils are not as big as you might expect.
      Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 10:26 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        Who said I'm using all air core inductors? :W I didn't.
        I thought you mentioned Goertz inductors a while back due to their low DCR...

At this time I'm not planning on putting the crossover external- I've reserved a lot of space in the bottom of the cabinet. Of course, by the time it's electrically designed, and I have the parts in hand, I may feel otherwise!
        Image not available

Goertz and Jantzen foil inductors are both likely, but they're not the be-all for low DCR in values at 2 mH or above. I'll explain further as we go along, and in the proper thread- but a lot of that I was planning on leaving to the web site that is in construction.
        Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 10:26 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Curly Woods
          • Dec 2005

You can use NP electrolytics- Tony does for the LF Zobels. I'm looking around to see if I can find something better than garden variety ones.

Keep in mind this is a "proof of concept" first pass done with test box data. Component values can and probably will change. In comparison, 200 uF NP Electrolytics are $3-4 each. You can get 1000 uF NP, but I wouldn't use a single cap because of the ESR and dissipation factor. Paralleling is better.

Hate to say it, but you know, sometimes there's a reason some commercial speakers cost $20K a pair. Though I will do the design for the RS drivers, I don't really think anyone's likely to go there- considering what you need to spend elsewhere. As Steen Duelund said, you should expect to spend as much or more on the crossover filter as for the drivers. Most DIY people don't think that way, obviously- often its about saving cost. For a simple two way, that can work out pretty well. For a three way with a wide band midrange, things may not be so simple.

And of course, for a tube amp, this would be far more benign to drive. :W
          John,

You haven't lost me yet ;-) It was just that I am not used to the high values of capacitors in the XO. I trust your knowledge and understanding about what it takes to make great music, which in the end is what I am after.
          Hi-fi I can buy at the local audio store.

I have to be honest though. The Avalon that I have dealt with in the past (I sold them when I was selling audio) were always a bit too sterile for my taste. Incredibly open, detailed, all of the audiophile adjectives, but a lot like a well refined Thiel (which we also sold). With great records or discs, the sound was impressive, but I did not feel the soul of the music. This is part of the reason that I love tubes, as they bring back much of this feeling for me.

I do not want bloat, or tizzy, etc. Just revealing to the max, but not sterile. I maybe looking for nirvana, but every now and then I come up a system that speaks to my soul.

You like one of the few SS electronics firms that I feel has a real clue (Ayre). So I have very high hopes for these speakers :-) Anyone that shoots for the moon, has my full support!
          Mike Mastin

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

What kind of electronics did you listen to Avalon's with? And which models? There have been some changes over time in the "house" voicing. I can easily imagine system configurations with, say, Eidolon Diamonds, that would include well regarded components and wind up the way you describe. Source material is quite critical- or should I say source units? Even when you're going "budget" digital, there's a huge difference between the presentation of, say, a Benchmark DAC and a PS Audio DL III. The latter sounds much more like live music, even with just adaptive USB input from a Mac. Sterile and "studio" is how I would describe the Benchmark and many other digital sources.

In general, for Avalon's, the best sound I heard has been with Ayre or BAT electronics, Cardas cables (Golden reference interconnect and speaker), and Ayre digital or the Cary SACD player.

I may well be full of it, but I do expect this crossover to improve on what Avalon did with the Indra. Talk is cheap, but I'm not. :W

Hey, what are you doing during RMAF in October? Come up to Denver then or a few days before and you should be able to listen to these- I'll be posting more about that as it gets close. I'll be bringing up a complete system to demo at ThomasW's. It should be interesting, and fun, too!

In the meantime, ThomasW is probably going to spank my butt for taking this thread so far off topic- it's not as if I shouldn't no better, being the other moderator! :roll:
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Curly Woods
              • Dec 2005

Levinson, Krell and Classe w/ full Cardas and Wadia front ends mostly John. That was over 8 years ago now that I think about it. Things do evolve.

I have about played out on my available vacation this year due to family sickness. I really want to make it to one of the RMAF sometime. I really miss going to Vegas for CES every year. I think that RMAF will over take Vegas as it is definitely more high end oriented.

Oh I forgot that we sold BAT too :-) I really liked these the best (tubes again :-)) My memory is fading as the years go by.
              Mike Mastin

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Well, that's well regarded gear, but the Levinson and Krell I wouldn't particularly recommend with Avalon- Wadia front ends were pretty good for their time, in comparison to what was out then, but fortunately things have improved. Otherwise I'd probably be going back to vinyl, too. And Ayre is even importing a turntable from Germany these days, and making a phono preamp!

I bet you'd enjoy RMAF if you can get a chance some year to come out- I didn't make it last year, was laid up on a business trip earlier in September while I was in Denver, but this year it looks like we have an all clear for lift off from Houston.

I didn't recognize McKinney as a suburb of Dallas, but checking Google reveals all- funny, I was just in Dallas this week on business travel! It's hot enough there, but then it's been in the high 90's here this week, too!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

In those zobels, low cost films such as Dayton or Cross cap could be used; or even NP electrolytics, though I tend to not favor the latter because of the dissipation factor, and because electrolytics dry out and change value over time.

These LCR zobel networks are quite necessary if you want to wind up with a reasonable impedance; otherwise you'll find the reactances necessary to get the required corner frequencies will result in 2 ohm speakers in much of the mid bass and bass. Hmmm, something about that is familiar! Like the Avalon Indra, for example! Or that other project, the Mark 21!

The DCR for inductors is important; it impacts roll off behavior when used as a shunt and insertion loss when used in series; as in other designs I've posted, I'll post recommendations. For example, L1 will probably be a Jantzen C-Core toroidal inductor, as the DCR is quite low, and this is important for the woofer damping and loss.
                  Jon,

I notice that you seem to favor more zobels than most designers in some of your crossover designs. I've only been at this for a couple years and looking to learn, so I'm wondering if you would expound on your philisophy a bit here. What are your main goals in doing so and where do you draw the line at what is overkill and what is just enough? Are you mainly trying to raise the impedance or is it an effort to flatten the impedance/impedance-phase as well?

Also, can you explain the "dissipation factor" in regards to NP electrolytics?
                  Dan N.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dlneubec
                    Jon,

I notice that you seem to favor more zobels than most designers in some of your crossover designs. I've only been at this for a couple years and looking to learn, so I'm wondering if you would expound on your philisophy a bit here. What are your main goals in doing so and where do you draw the line at what is overkill and what is just enough? Are you mainly trying to raise the impedance or is it an effort to flatten the impedance/impedance-phase as well?

Sometimes zobels are a "nice to have" (like putting in a parallel LCR network to kill the impedance rise in the crossover region between the midrange and tweeter, so that the amplitude response with tube amps is flatter); other times, an RC inductance rise compensation or LCR resonance combination is nearly mandatory to get the target acoustical response with reasonable values in the crossover, or any value!

Imagine rolling off the bottom of a midrange unit, wanting it to track accurately down to -20 dB, but the bump in the impedance curve at resonance will put a big bump in the amplitude curve of the midrange also. The same thing will happen with tweeters that have their LF resonance near the crossover frequency. That is why you see me using LCR zobels more than most- this eliminates that as a factor.

Of course, in many commercial speakers, they avoid this because it adds cost. And many designers look only at the overall on axis SPL curve, and if it seems smooth enough (especially with 1/3 octave smoothing on the data) don't sweat the small stuff or how the curve looks in the transition band. But with lower order crossovers, I think this is short sighted. Just my 0.02. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in many areas.

Other designers may tell you it's just not necessary- in some cases, it may not be. Your call, of course, when you're doing your own designs. But particularly for the Duelund style crossover being used in the Ardent and used previously in the NeoD CC, this attention to detail is necessary to achieve the overall amplitude and phase tracking targets. Steen always said to plan to spend more money on the crossover than the drivers. That runs contrary to what many DIY'ers would like to do, in order to maximize bang for the buck- I'm just out to maximize bang.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Play with flattening the impedance - especially on a tweeter you're crossing low, it's audible (IMHO). I got a lot of grief for doing this in the big 3-ways...
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dlneubec
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Jon,

You know what I think would be a very interesting, valuable and educational thread? If you were to take us step by step through your crossover design process as you create it for one of your projects. What your goals are, what crossover points and slope targets you are shooting for and why, what each addition to the design does, why you used it and what other options might accomplish a similar result, etc. You might illustrate before and after simulated response, Z, phase, etc. with each step.

Obviously it would be just one designers approach, but certainly a very experienced one. :T
                        Dan N.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Well, when I put up the Ardent project web site, that should more or less be included- in case it's useful for folks. Thing is, there's a lot of ways to get from point A to B, and I would never suggest that I've figured out the best one or one that others should emulate- maybe not even an easy one! But I will include that discussion. The web site creation began a couple of months ago, but I've been too busy making sawdust instead of pushing pixels to make much progress- it may not be up until November sometime, between RMAF and business travel to Europe in October.
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dlneubec
                            Jon,

Think I forgot this part for you- "Dissipation factor" in regards to NP electrolytics (or any cap) is how "lossy" the capacitor is due to internal resistance, specified in percentage. Basically, it's 1/Q of the capacitor, where "Q" is the quality factor; a "high Q" capacitor is relatively losses, because the equivalent series resistance (ESR) which creates losses) is quite low. Good film caps have DF of 0.1% or 0.2%. NP Electrolytics at Erse, for example, are rated at 3%, 6%, and 10%. These are all fairly unacceptable to me, especially the higher values. It means also that with significant current flowing through the cap, there will be voltage drops and losses. It also means that to model the cap correctly in a crossover, you need to include an explicit R component; this can be determined by measurement in a good LCR meter or network analyzer. Also, part of the element degrading Q may be series inductance, so this should be determined, too.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Electronics and voicing and zobels...

Today I did a lot of swapping electronics out back and forth, particularly with regards to higher output impedance gear and more conventional amplifiers.

It reinforced my belief that zobel networks to control impedance rise in a speaker system is a good thing, especially if you want the speaker to sound similar or mostly the same with different sounding electronics. You can look at the impedance curve of the NeoD CC and predict where it will sound "warmer" or "more forward" with the Ayre AX-7e integrated amplifier, compared with more conventional solid state amplifiers I have on hand. To the degree that this interaction can be ameliorated or mitigated, I think it's a good idea- obviously constructors with strictly conventional gear and more limited budgets can leave those parts off if they choose- I expect even more conventional amplifiers may sound better with a more consistent load, but that could be "wishful thinking" on my part. Certainly the dramatic impedance swings that can occur with some crossovers in the crossover region should be avoided when possible.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"